7mm Layouts and Dioramas by Stephen Fay, including Pontycwm, Newton Mills and St Stephens Bank

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The green shirt camera man has me slightly puzzled. He looks like a serious photographer using an eye-level camera, probably a 35mm Leica. So what's in the leather case. It ain't glass plates. Sandwich spread butties? :D

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
70B0AD66-C440-4638-8264-4C81A5CD0171.jpeg Bashing more plastruct this evening sees the stair well tower made up, The stairs will be laser cut by Intentio Model Railways as I want them very precise and they are the guys to do that. I will drill 4 locating holes to secure the tower to the baseboard. The wire was bent and added yesterday this will have a Modelu GWR lamp shade added once they are available.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
I’m thinking of adding some smoke effects on Canton, I’m not looking to drown it in smoke as it can be off putting especially at a show so what’s peoples experience and any recommendations. Ideally something controllable that I can park a loco over a pit hit a button and get a wif of smoke from underneath.

Alvis

I’m thinking of adding some smoke effects on Canton, I’m not looking to drown it in smoke as it can be off putting especially at a show so what’s peoples experience and any recommendations. Ideally something controllable that I can park a loco over a pit hit a button and get a wif of smoke from underneath.

Hi Stephen,

Try TRS Trains,they have a smoke system that only uses water,so none of that heavy,oily type smoke effect.
The video I have seen of their 4mm locomotive conversions is very good,you can see it on Keymodel world.
Email is trstrains@yahoo.com
They also have a website via facebook.

Always enjoy look at your superb work.

Alastair.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I think that, John? Dornman had smoke effects on his Laira shed diorama, I think there may have been an article or two in the MRJ, some years ago, I think he used a theatrical smoke unit, with modification.

I hope that I have spelt his name correctly.

AndyH

Yup Phil, issues 92 and 97 of MRJ. Was looking through it last weekend for another subject. Though 1997 wasn’t that long ago was it?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The smoke effect I saw on YouTube recently used water and a loco had been adapted to blow steam from draincocks. It was some conversion and probably rather costly to cover what is involved. If you had just one loco with that conversion, it would certainly wow the exhibition crowds.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
The smoke effect I saw on YouTube recently used water and a loco had been adapted to blow steam from draincocks. It was some conversion and probably rather costly to cover what is involved. If you had just one loco with that conversion, it would certainly wow the exhibition crowds.
I agree, I have seen some superb smoke conversions, The best had to be the embryonic Bath green park 7mm shed layout. The smoke effects used on the locos were magnificent.
As I have photo evidence of a black 5 on Canton shed I will if funds allow opt for the sound and smoke option of the Ellis Clark model due out next year. my existing fleet all utilise resin boilers so would be very difficult to retrofit.
I’ve found some interesting smoke units designed for model boats that utilise water for the vapour effect and I’m thinking a pipe coming up through the centre road pit would be a good location. I don’t want anything visible on the outer roads as they will be easily viewable from most angles.