7mm Layouts and Dioramas by Stephen Fay, including Pontycwm, Newton Mills and St Stephens Bank

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg
Plates from narrow planet all painted up and added to the brake down crane. This will form part of the engineers train for Gaer Junction.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg I've added the transfers to the JLTRT BR banana van, these are now available from Steve @ Railtec, he did a set in record quick time.
I need to get some wheels ordered so I can finish it off. Looks a bit odd hitching a ride on a cat fish!!
I've got some of the Sankey scenics van posters coming as well.

jonte

Western Thunderer
These laser cut kits are growing on me. I particularly like the brickwork at the corners; really effective.

Your finish though, Steve, is terrific; most realistic in natural light. I'm making a note of your methods!

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Fabulous work on the box - mighty impressed!

As a dyed in the wool technophobe I have spent far too many years grunting about all this new fangled stuff, preferring to do it by old fashioned methods.

But I'm now completely won over! Laser cut brickwork with proper tied corners is the only way to go now. It is absolutely perfect for 7mm.

Having said that, the jury is still out for me in 1/32 scale. I have had some done, and found that the mortar joints are just a bit too sharp and regular for my liking in that larger scale. Still some work to do there.

I wish that I could learn how to do CAD, but meantime I hope to persuade some friends to experiment with the bigger scales. The answer is probably quite straightforward, only nobody appears to have cracked it so far!

While some folks may be tempted to imagine that laser cut buildings are a shortcut to perfection, your finished paintwork proves that in the end there is no escaping the hard and tedious graft of colouring individual bricks.

But isn't the final effect worth all the effort?!

Pete.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg image.jpeg Glazing has been added and I've also added cast gutter pots and down pipes. I might change the down pipes as I think they might be to big!!
I've also added a soil pipe for the toilet and a chimney pipe for what I would imagine was a wood burning stove.
I really enjoy building laser cut kits and Phils ( Intentio ) in particular. They go together so well and quite quickly.
The Tunnel Mouth for the Severn tunnel end is up Next, this is also from Phil.