7mm Steve Fay’s layouts and dioramas

Discussion in 'WR Action' started by Compton castle, 25 October 2015.

1. Compton castle

Compton castle Western Thunderer

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I've cut the fur to size this morning given a good singe and wafted some mud brown and dark green over to give it a patchy unkept look.
    I use poster paints to dye the fur double the amount of yellow to green. It's a good idea to see how the green dries on its own on a piece of paper as you might want to darken it down a bit. I tend to find the green usually dries quite a few shades lighter than it looks in the bottle. I apply with my hands wearing an old pair of marigolds ( most fetching) if you get any clumping once dry then give it a good brush with a stiff scrubbing brush then singe it with a blow torch but very quickly. Depending on what type of grass it is you can add different shades of colours with spray cans but again wafting is better. Again if you spray to much then get the stiff brush on to it. Before you start vacuum the teddy bear fur as quite a bit wil come off.

2. Compton castle

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg A little more progress this evening,

3. Ian G

Ian G Western Thunderer

That is coming on nicely.

Ian G

4. Compton castle

Falcon drifts down grade on a test run to Cardiff image.jpeg
    D7022 powers up grade on a short goods image.jpeg
    Signal mans path image.jpeg
    5043 drifts down grade on a Plymouth/ Manchester. image.jpeg

5. Compton castle

image.jpeg Back to some track weathering

6. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

This is looking really good. Simple but effective :thumbs:.

Compton castle likes this.
  7. Compton castle

image.jpeg Extra flowers now blooming

LarryG, Jordan, Rob Pulham and 2 others like this.
  8. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

I had to take care when doing this on my layout to ensure gardeners/botanists could not say that I had flowers/shrubs in bloom out of season. It's as bad as us counting rivets :confused:.

Compton castle likes this.
  9. Compton castle

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    First signal now complete all bar some weathering. I think you will agree Jon has done another Top job.

10. Compton castle

image.jpeg
    I built a peco GW engineers wagon today.

11. Compton castle

image.jpeg The bracket signal is rapidly progressing with Jon

12. Compton castle

image.jpeg More progress from Jon this evening with the bracket signal.

13. cbrailways

cbrailways Western Thunderer

Don't forget the distant arm was motor operated (you can see it just below the arm) :rolleyes:

Stumpytrain likes this.
  14. Compton castle

image.jpeg I've planted a few wild flowers from the mininature range this weekend. Phil has started cutting the signal box so that should not be to far off now

15. Compton castle

image.jpeg The ARP signal box taking shape with Phil ( Intentio) this kit will be available to all soon. It's an austere design and one you don't often see modelled.

16. cbrailways

cbrailways Western Thunderer

Thats good news as I need one for my Blackbridge Town layout :)

Last edited: 25 April 2016
    BrushType4 and Compton castle like this.
  17. Compton castle

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Updates on both Severn tunnel east & Gaer junction, the Regent oil train is now complete minus a brake van & the engineers train has grown now the cat & dog fish is home. This will grow with the inclusion of an engineers toad and some Grampus. The best news is JLTRT are going to do a mermaid & sea cow ballast hoppers.
    On to Severn tunnel I've added some dirt on the down main plus the lineside equipment boxes. A post mounted box by the bracket signal and 3 lineside boxes behind the signal box, well 2 at the moment the 3rd is in the post. They need a coat of grime yet.

18. Compton castle

image.jpeg A little more scenic work completed today. Just waiting on one last order from a Polish firm Polak.

Len Cattley likes this.
  19. Compton castle

Stock for Gaer junction, The Barry Docks Geest Banana trains. Starting off with a BR JLTRT van kit. I do enjoy building these kits as they are quick to build. I can't go much further as I need to order the wheels.
    JLTRT are going to add the LMS banana vans and a few GW options as well.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

20. Compton castle

image.jpeg Signal box kit nearly ready for Severn tunnel east, Phil has been working hard on getting it ready. Looks superb