4mm Stonehouse St James - EM Covid layout

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Another bank holiday and a bit more time at the work bench. The cylinders and slide bars are done, crossheads fettled and con rods added. CSBs are fitted and all runs smoothly.

The cab, roof, smokebox, bunker and tanks have been fashioned from about a million bits of brass. Everything has an overlay. Even the overlays. Thank goodness for my RSU. The kit is carefully thought out and any mistakes are mine. I can see a couple of things in the photos that are going to need tweaking.

It's starting to resemble a series of component parts which are ready to be fitted together, once they've had a thorough clean up. Still I'm a happy chap as it's been quite a while since I've built an engine and I'm enjoying it.
IMG_8681.jpeg IMG_8680.jpeg IMG_8679.jpeg IMG_8678.jpeg IMG_8677.jpeg IMG_8676.jpeg IMG_8675.jpeg IMG_8674.jpeg IMG_8673.jpeg

ullypug

Western Thunderer
The 1361 is just about finished. Still needs a crew, numberplate, coal, wheel balance weights, couplings...
But has been through the paint shop and all runs sweetly. CSB's work a treat though I have had to lift up the body slightly as there's no clearance between the rims and footplate. Still it's nice to get a couple of days at the modelling bench for a change!

IMG_9545.jpeg IMG_9540.jpeg IMG_9544.jpeg IMG_9543.jpeg

IMG_9542.jpeg IMG_9537.jpeg IMG_9538.jpeg

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Next off the blocks (or should that be recovered from the great un-built kit stash) is the PDSWJR Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-2T Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. One of two engines built for the PDSWJR in 1908, these were acquired by the LSWR in late 1922 before becoming Southern engines at the grouping. The model is another CSP kit. I'm still unsure whether to finish this off in LWSR dark green or Southern livery. Probably the latter.
For expediency (har, har) I'm going to build this with straightforward compensation.

Work so far has seen the chassis assembled, rods, horn blocks and all and painted. Work has started on the body which so far at least has been a pleasant exercise in brass.
IMG_0493.jpeg
IMG_0148.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0200.jpeg
IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_0494.jpeg

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Progress continues with the 0-6-2. Body is virtually done. I've a couple of missing castings to source replacements for but otherwise it's getting there. The chassis is moving along too. Wheels quartered and rods fitted. Motor in place. Just making up the cylinders and slide bars which bolt on to the chassis sides.. I think the end is in sight.

Attachments

• IMG_1090 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1090 (1).jpeg
    498.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1085 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1085 (1).jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0978 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0978 (1).jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 12

AJC

Western Thunderer
Coming on nicely, Andrew. I should make Expo if you're going (it's closer than I thought though May seems an age away...).

Adam

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Feel like I'm on the homeward straight. Engine is almost finished, has been painted and lined and has got to the stage where it will trundle up and down. Really pleased with my first efforts at Southern livery. I used a mixture of HMRS transfers and a bow pen. The home made boiler bands use black transfer sheet with the white lined on.

There crew has been added and everything given the lightest waft of weathering with an airbrush. This one would have been just out of works so I don't want it too grubby.
Couldn't resist plonking it on the layout for some photos.
I've a few things to tweak; the front end is sitting too low, which is a quick adjustment of the suspension, it needs a bit of lead adding for weight, some coal too, I need to fit couplings and bizarrely I've left off the guard irons. I'm sure I'll spot a few more things too! Still none of that will take too long to sort and the loco should be fine for its first sow at Expo EM in May.

IMG_1220.jpegIMG_1212.jpegIMG_1209.jpegIMG_1211.jpegIMG_1215.jpegIMG_1219.jpegIMG_1217.jpegIMG_1216.jpeg

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
What a charming layout.

The locos are lovely by the way, the 1361 is very nicely weathered too. Can i ask what ballast you used on your trackwork?

Thanks,

Si