Stroudlye's Terrier forerunner.

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
During Stroudley's short time north of the border working for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway he designed only one locomotive. The first of which was not built until after he returned to the South Coast and, refining his design, the Terriers appeared. David Jones, Superintendent of the newly constituted Highland Railway, took his design and produced the first of three 'Lochgorm' tank engines for shunting and branch line duties, No's 56, 57 and 16. They were all built at the HR Lochgorm railway works at Inverness and it took 8 years to complete the trio.

They were rebuilt a number of times during their life and this model is attempting to portray No 57 as she was around 1900.

Ragstone Models have a ex Agenoria kit for the prototype, which is not presently being released as it requires some updates, but gentle persuasion managed to get me a kit as I had already built one of the original Agenoria offerings and was aware of the issues which I was prepared to accept and modify as required.

The chassis is designed with movable front and middle driver bearings to facilitate compensation but I chose to make the front bearings fixed, along with the rear motor drive, and spring the middle drivers only. In the photograph you can see the wire spring attached to the inside of the chassis frame and bent to a L shape to fit in a hole drilled in the bearing to prevent turning. The motor/gearbox combination is the small, single stage unit, from Bill at Premier .

DSCN4509.JPG

The main superstructure panels have all gone together without any major issues and this is the stage I have reached so far.

DSCN4511.JPG

Sandy