Prototype Sundry scans

Simon

Flying Squad
Having been left the late David Hyde's collection of images and information, I have been slowly working through all sorts of interesting things, predominantly related to the GWR.

David left them to me on the basis that I would do something with them and share the information, which I am working on.

So far, the most tangible result has been my being able to properly illustrate a new edition of Jack Slinn's HMRS siphons book. Written by John Lewis, I have had this "on the stocks" for quite a while, but hope to get it into the laying out stage by the end of April. It will be greatly enhanced by David's generosity, who was already helping me out before he sadly died.

Another book project is something on GWR wagons in traffic, which I am very happy to be working on with Gerry Beale, who is the author.

I am also now scanning all sorts of images, having just bought the business a new scanner. Many are not of publishable quality, but are nonetheless interesting, and so I thought I'd start a thread where I can drop in such images and share them, I may also be asking for information or help on some images.

These are unlikely to be of the quality of what Brian or Phil shares with us in their marvellous threads, but at least with this on the go I won't need to pollute their threads with sub standard images(!)

So, to start, here is a rather lovely canal side lock cottage, and I think these boys probably lived there. I have now worked out that this is where the GW main line runs alongside the K&A just east of Crofton pumping station, where many photographs were taken of trains. The photographer's name might have been Chubb, and the quality is very variable, and some of the negatives quite scratched.

house by canal.jpg
Kids by canal.jpg

And here is a shot of wagons on a passing train.

wagons in train.jpg

I shall return to these photographs later.

In the collection are some negatives taken by Wally Beard, he of the GW wagons book fame, he knew David I am sure.

These are better, and feature stock, but to start off with here is a rather nice and unusual view of Dawlish station. The track in the siding looks to either have a drainage channel running under it or is being otherwise dug out.

Beard Dawlish001.jpg

I don't mind anyone sharing these images but would appreciate them as being credited to "collection of Wild Swan Books", and obviously names of photographers etc where known.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Lovely stuff. The 'lived in' quality of the lock-side cottage is delightful, but as you might expect, my eye was drawn to the wagons.

The cattle van is, I think, the progenitor of the LNER standard type rather than the first iteration of that type (the clue being the axleboxes and the 10' wheelbase: Steve Banks has a great little article on these: LNER cattle wagon - Steve Banks).

The sheeted minerals are interesting in and of the fact that they're sheeted, but the left hand one appears to be the LNER version of the RCH 1923 type (again, it looks as though it has LNER oil axleboxes, but they might just be normal grease ones), while the right hand one has the heavily framed end doors I associate with Scottish private owners.

Finally the tank wagon which is hard to say too much about - it's to the 1907 RCH spec' with split oil axleboxes, 10' 6" wheelbase, probably 12 ton capacity, a bit like what Oxford Rail do in 00. Not sure what load it would have - I'm sure the vents would tell some people something, but they don't speak to me!

Adam

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Still scanning, and I have come across some pictures taken at Colwall, including the below image.

1511509032_DMUColwall.jpg.a014c76495b97d2f261307772ce6e44b.jpg

I have asked over on RMweb, being a huge place, but does anyone have any information on a shunting mishap at Colwall that would have taken place in the same era as the above photographs?

I have some interesting images of such a thing that I will be putting into a new WS book and would like to include any known details of the event.

These images are from files of negatives in David Hyde's collection, the provenance of which is not entirely clear.

The below picture, taken at Hatton I believe, is likely to be the photographer's car. I have a feeling that these might be Jim Russell's pictures.

2112240796_Photocar.jpg.2d6ded2373af3e7674e3bdf2c3505b84.jpg

Another possibility is that the negatives I have are copy negatives, in which case their sequence and provenance could vary. Looking at them, and the variety of subjects covered, this could possibly be the case.

I have, as yet, found no information or index that goes with the negatives.

I'd be interested in any information or thoughts, I will put some more images up from the collection too.

Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
It was renumbered to 1407 in December 1946 and previously, since 1935, had been a Reading engine where it landed from Swindon Works in December 1935. It was built in 1932 so what happened to it between 1932 and 1935 I've no idea. I'd not recognise Reading anyway so whether it's there or somewhere else I can't advise.

Brian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Peto's Register gives a very much fuller allocation record showing that although 4807 nominally spent its time between 1935 and nationalisation at Reading, it was sub-shedded for periods at Slough, Oxford, Henley, Marlow and Wallingford. Incidentally, it was shedded at Exeter/Tiverton Jcn between 1932 and 1935.
The presence of the topfeed boiler suggests a later date.
Comparison with the photo here: Reading Museum
suggests that the box in the background is Reading Middle.
Dave

Simon

Flying Squad
Thank you very much indeed Dave, I think that fits perfectly.

This image came from the same negative source as the initial photographs in this thread, I think the date is likely to be just post War, as images include a family group with a "Pike" type character in the Home Guard and the number of other railway images would surely have have got the photographer arrested in wartime(?)

Simon

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Some interesting pictures Simon and also I liked the link to the Reading Museum Dave.....a slight distraction to the tram photos they have on file!!
One of the railway photos shows the factory sidings but what my attention was the inset rails with what appears to be wooden boards instead of traditional check rails. I know the area would have been raised to rail level for movement across the track but would it have been boards or stone?
Simon you did say WT can affect your health......!
Thanks
Julian