SUSIE WONG

davey4270

Western Thunderer
7 months ago the “Who’s Counting Rivets” team presented a 2 hour program on modelling while raising money for the NHS. One part of the program involved Alex Bingley fettling, painting and weathering one of his 7mm narrow gauge 3D printed bodies.

IMG_1836.JPG
Sometime later Alex held a competition on his Facebook page, Bingley Locomotive Works, offering one of these models for the best narrow gauge model picture. Several years ago when I was demonstrating at one of the Festival of Steam Exhibitions at Steam, Swindon I photographed my ex Corris Railway Kerr Stuart locomotive at the canal side on the “Aber-Emlyn” layout. I entered the picture and was fortunate to win and as the model is designed to fit on a “Smokey Joe” chassis, duly obtained a second hand example. The main part of the weight of a Smokey Joe is contained in the cast footplate and as this is not required for the model it leaves it somewhat light. Although Alex had added some lead shot underneath the tank it was still light and tail heavy. Fortunately the smoke box is hollow and several discs of lead were glued in. Model locomotives perform best when the balance point is central to the coupled wheelbase and this has certainly made a difference to the performance of the model.

IMG_2532.jpg
My partner Sue’s father had a pet name for her as a little girl and as a treat I had a pair of “SUSIE WONG” nameplates made for the model. Now I think Sue’s dad was having a bit of a laugh here so as a little quiz and without consulting Google, does anyone know who Susie Wong is?

(1) SUSIE WONG - YouTube

SUSIE WONG stretching her legs on Sue’s Christmas Diorama.
If you know the answer please excuse the pun!

daifly

Western Thunderer
I remember the film with Nancy Kwan who played a Chinese prostitute called Suzie Wong (different spelling!) so I hope that wasn’t the inspiration!
Dave