7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick -
Somethings not quite right at the front end on mine.
I'm now regretting not joggling the frames, I might well strip them down and start again... That is sometimes is quicker than trying to resolve multiple issues.

A job for Thursday...

Cheers
Tony

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I'm with this 7 day cold/flu/covid not covid. Unable to sit around doing nothing I thought I'd work through some of the outstanding rolling stock jobs, finishing off the two brake vans and a bit of renumbering.

The J11 was finally weathered and I managed to locate the backhead for it again and fix it in.. It will come in handy for local good and colliery pilot jobs on Basford.
IMG_5889.JPG

The second hand J50 was Hornsey engine ( 68931 ) and it really needed to be a Colwick resident. The numbers were a bit small in any case, just need to touch in the weathering and change those crank pin nuts. It wil serve as one of the station pilots for Basford.
IMG_5887.JPG

I bought a very nicely made J39 from Steamlines, but that too was a London engine ( 64782 ) with a westingouse pump too. So that had to come off and it became Annesleys 64747. It still needs some work and I'm sure those tender tool boxes are wrong. Still more work to do on this one and I have an inside motion set for it too..
IMG_5884.JPG

I bought B16 61434 from the Late Derek Betts, but a few things have bugged me about it - mainly the fact that the boiler had seperated from the firebox. Now I know why I never send engines in the post. So I cut a hole in the bottom of the boiler to see what I could do - the forming disk which joins it to the firebox in the end of the boiler had come out. So there was nothing for it but to break the boiler away from the running plate and fix it. Anyway, its a long story and we all love a root cause... So it looks like at some time, the loco had a bump which allowed the firebox wrapper on the right side to pop out from inside the running plate to above it. Not much issue visually, but it pushed the running plate down lower than it should be to create a fulcrum and caused the front of the body to sit high above the cylinders.... Tighten up the srcrew below them, and something had to give eventually...
IMG_9977.JPG

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Building the fleet up quite nicely, but creating additional work for yourself. Still, a lot less than building from new.
Dave.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Yes, Dave - the J50 was a bargain.., I'm not sure the J39 kit is available at the moment., but it was a replacement for the Finescale brass one that I sold ( it had the 4200 gallon tender ). The B16 was an impulse purchase! Well, we all have those... the J11 was a kit I bought to build - there is a picture of one shunting the goods yard at Basford...

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I particularly like the LNER Class J11. This chunky loco really does look the business.

Re. the post, I couldn't use it back in the 1970s and 80's, because even when 7mm scale locos were well wrapped in boxes that were strung with string a sealing wax (anyone remember those days haha)... things still got a battering. The Advent of Interlink saved the day and I didn't even need to leave the house.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It be like this.

I think the tank end is rebated but not sure, I might get time Sunday to research, add and reprint for Monday's post.

Image1.jpg

I did want to get it in the post tomorrow but the end plate niggle and needing to sort/pack for the CTL show in Sheffield means it'll more as likely go Monday.

Last edited:

Don't add the vac tank. 64747 didn't have one. I'm building a 4mm scale model of this loco. Also, like many J39s in the BR period the water pickup gear was removed. Finally 64747 had a non standard tank filler. As far as I can tell it was very similar to the type on an ROD tender, Squat with a loose "dustbin" lid. Here is an image of my model and, below that, a link to a helpful image on Flickr

J39 64747.jpg

Cheers...Morgan

Last edited:

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick - that looks great!

Morgan - thanks..? ! Thats put a spanner in the works! I've paid for a vac tank now!

Thanks Ian - I shall have to put that side of the engine to face away from the operators!

Tony

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Tony, don’t sweat it, the tank needed a rehash for the end cap ( there’s two types) anyway, so this one is in the bin. I’ll put the funds on your tab or buy a couple of pints next time we meet :thumbs:

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Morgan - please don't apologise! We all like to try and get things right as possible and sometimes it's not as easy as we would like. So thank you for your input.

The reversing lion has been corrected.
IMG_9982.JPG

The B16 has received it's first coat of grime, there is a photo of 61434 at Neasden in 1961 in absolutely filthy condition, the lining is not visible at all. That Pressfix emlem is awful, but it will have to stay. I did replace the 8" cabside numbers with 10" ones - that looks better. But I notice that the boiler has sprung behind the smokebox now, so it will have to come apart yet again...

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I did a bit more research and the RCTS part 1 tells us that the edict to remove water pick up gear from the J39s and other classes was issued in early 1946. With 64747 visiting the works several times during the early '50s it must have been done around that time. It's easy to assume all J39's had dome, filler and vac tank - which clearly is not the case. So the rather empty deck makes an interesting comparison with other ex LNE locos. Some heat from underneath released the dome and filler without drama. I just happened to have a spare ROD filler in the tender bits box. I also took the oportunity to change the insignia to the later version. It took several attempts as a couple of them disintegrated, has anyone else had this with Fox transfers that are around 5 years old or more? That will all blend in with a bit of weathering.
IMG_9986.JPG

One thing I didn't spot in this picture on first viewing, is the lack of dome!
IMG_9979.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Finishing off some weathering jobs and comissioning stock for Basford North. To address the brake van shortage - E242170 is a Slaters kit made to represent a 1940 LNE build. M328337 is a Parkside kit representing a D1657 1930 build.
IMG_5892.JPG
IMG_5891.JPG
The 6 wheeler is a CRT kit with scratchbuilt underframe - probably the worst weathering job I've ever done... sometimes it's not a good idea to press on when you are feeling ill...
IMG_5894.JPG

The DA J11 is ready to go
IMG_5895.JPG
and the B16/3 is ready for a crew...
IMG_5896.JPG

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
You've dome a marvellous job on that B16/3. No-one would ever know the boiler had been in bits a couple of times.
Something that caught my eye, although it might be an optical illusion, but the foot step on the 6 wheel brake looks to bow up in the middle.
Dave.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave - yes - the camera doesn't lie! That board wasn't seated properly on the mounting arms.

I did hear that one of Derek's loco was dropped whilst in it's box and went for repair - that might well have been the B16 then.. Anyway, it's looking the part now... and will look all the better once it's back on the layout.

Cheers
Tony