7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
7mm Mick very kindly gave me a Peco Iron Tippler at the Doncaster show ( which was excellent ). Having seen Mick's wagons, this treacle coated item cannot have been of his making! So a bath of meths removed the majority of the paint. I've been a little disdainful of the Peco tipplers. Fortunately I had some Simon Thompson springs in stock - they are for 21 tonners, but they will do. So cleaned up and with new springs and Parkside buffers the wagon looks a lot more business like.
P1030542.JPG

P1030543.JPG

David Andrews 47xx

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks to the grotty weather, we're off and continuing the Great Western theme I am building 4702. First job was to cut out for the Slaters hornblocks. I don't make them adjustable as once the ride height is set, there is no need to change anything. I know that I could go in the GW section, but I live here really.
P1030567.JPG

P1030572.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
The rain has brought me back to the workbench, I have progressed the chassis to the cylinders. The rear covers seemed far too small, they should really come to the edge of the casing. I wonder if they are from something smaller. After some deliberation, I decided that wrapping 1mm brass section wound round would do the trick. Not perfect, but improves the chunky look of the cylinders. CPL ( Paul Bambrick now ) crank pin nuts complete the job.
P1030621.JPG

P1030626.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I've been away a lot, but in between I've been soldering on with the 4700 in between times. There was the usual smokebox/boiler/firebox/cab relationship exercise, and it took a good few hours to sort that out. Yes, there is a little gap at the back there, but I'll sort that out, it's not fixed on yet. The motion bracket and boiler support were a distraction, so it was easier to get the whole assembly to fit between the cab and smokebox saddle first. The motion bracket and boiler support could then be tweaked to suit. I didn't use the half etched boiler bands, electing to use Slaters phosphor bronze strip instead as it was half as thick.
P1030636.JPG

My poor old lathe has languished in storage for a few years since I acquired it, but I'm indebted to David Smith for a refresher tutorial on using it ( O level metal work was a little while ago in my past ). I'm not sure the previous owner used it. Now it's having a clean up and some TLC.
IMG_20160712_165008083.jpg

So as a trial run, I needed to make new cylinder covers for the 4700 as the cast ones were too small, and here they are as produced on the Hobbymat.
P1030639.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I've not documented this build very well, the trouble is I've been away every weekend for 6 weeks or so. One thing I didn't like about the ejector brackets was that the handrail knobs stuck out a long way. So I cut them off with a piercing saw. Replacement handrail knobs has a 1.3mm shank, so that would not work with the brackets. So using my new lathe skills ( !) I turned down the shanks on 3 handrail knobs to 0.75mm so that they would fit in to a suitably drilled hole...
P1030642.JPG

I had to use a file to clean up, but in principle the idea worked.. before and after..
P1030641.JPG

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Wow that looks good!

I really want a night owl one day! Apparently they were never called that during the days of the real railway..

JB.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks JB, it is an impressive machine I have to say.
There is always the background task of weathering jobs to do, and it's very useful having a separate spray shop, although it is a little weather dependant being away from the house. Passing through last week have been a couple of Heljan Warships, oh I do like them. They remind me of childhood holidays at Goodrington sands..

D801 has a northern visit and is ignored by trackside workers...
P1030659a.jpg

Hmm, my thread seems to getting more GW as time goes on....

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I've rather neglected this thread through lack of available time, the Standard 4 build has been documented on 'the other side'. It's well on the way to completion now.
P1030854.JPG

It's a great kit of course, but not the easiest, I think you need to be pretty confident with working with metal to get a good finish.