Scattergun The Flippem Automatic Coupling System an alternative to Dingham couplings

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Although I have heard of the Dinghams, I'm not familiar with their operation. Can I presume magnets are installed at various places some inches apart under the track? Are they permanent magnets similar to the Kadee's? Your new couplings look to work well. Perhaps you could demonstrate the Flippem 4mm couplings too?

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry
Yes the are operated with magnets hidden in the ballast. You can operate them with either permanent of electo-magnets. being of a mechanical bias I use permeant magnets I bought off ebay, for pence. I don't have a 4mm layout at the moment so demonstrating them is a bit tricky. but I'm working on something in P4 as we speak. So as soon as I have done something I will post a 4mm demo.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just to let you all know I'm now taking orders for Flippems. The ordering page is now live. My initial order should be with me a week on Monday. I have ordered a small amount for stock but as soon as that has gone I will have to place a second order which could take up to 6 weeks. Having said this I have until Monday morning to add to my initial order.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just a quick up date for everyone who has ordered couplings. I have been promised, by my etcher’s, that I should the etches by Tuesday at the latest. Once they have arrived I will be shipping them out you. I have ordered extra stock so if there is anyone who is yet to order I will have some stock spare.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I didn't want my to start this post with the word "Apologies" but I'm going to have to apologise to everyone who was expecting to take delivery of the couplings that they have ordered.

I have been let down by the company who supply's my etches. I was told that I would have them by Monday or Tuesday, this week, at the latest. When nothing arrived, I contacted them thinking that it would be a shipping issue. 24 hours later I have just had a reply from them. They have now told me that I should now get them next Monday or Tuesday. I wasn't told why there has been a delay so to say that I'm not a happy bunny is an understatement. I feel that I'm letting people down as I have promised delivery this week and that isn't going to happen.

Please bear with me I will get orders out to everyone as soon as I have the etches.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Some good news. I have just had an email from DHL informing me that the etches are on their way. So I should have them in the next 48 hours. As soon as I have them in my hands I will be packing up the orders and getting them out to you all.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
More good news! The etches arrive this afternoon. I'm busy packing up all the orders as we speak and I will be gong to the post office tomorrow with them. So everyone should have their order by the end of the week.

The First time you will be able to see them in the flesh, so to speak, will be at Doncaster on the 11th of June, followed by the Carlisle O gauge Group's 21st anniversary show on 25/26th of June, Stafford (GuildEx) on 3/4th Sept and Scalefourum (High Wickam) 24/25th Sept. More shows may be added to this list.

Marc

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Breaking News! I have been invited to demonstrate the couplings at the Birtley show (Gateshead) on Saturday. I will be demonstrating how to select, build and install the couplings. I will have a few packs of both the 7mm and 4mm versions with me if anyone wants to pick some up face to face.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Also the 70%of the initial orders have been posted out. I should have the remaining orders out by the end of the week.arc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
All of the initial coupling orders have now been posted out, so you should have them in a day or two. I'm hoping to finish my instruction video this afternoon and I will be posting the on here and on my YouTube channel.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have lots of 4mm standard/+1 packs and loop packs but I haven't got any starter packs they are on order from the etchers and should be with me before the end of the month. The gauges and the blocks are produced in house so they are always avalable.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Gauge O Guild Doncaster Show.
Please be aware that we will be carrying a limited amount of stock at the up coming Gauge O Guild show at Doncaster, on the 11th of June. Therefore, if you specifically want something please let me know before Tuesday so I can have it ready for you to collect. This will avoid any disappointment. We will have the full range of Flippem Couplings and accessories in both 4mm and 7mm on the stand with a demonstration plank so you can see them inaction.

Also, please note, this will be our only 7mm trading show between now and Christmas as we will be attending GuildEx Stafford with a small layout and will not be selling any of our products.

Marc

Last edited:

t1jump

Hi Marc,

I'm curious why the loop has a square face rather than an arc. Intuition leads me to think an arc would be more efficient on curves when pulling stock as the hook would not need to pull against the angle of the straight loop face. I can see where the square face angled up makes engaging the hook more effective, and maybe this is the critical issue. Does the square face not ride up the hook when it is flat rather than angled up?

I've never had these to work with and see how they function, so trying to imagine through videos and photos. I appreciate any direction you can share.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
A curve was looked at during the inital design process but it was discounted as there was no way of putting the turn-up at the end of the loop to allow it to climb over the hooks. The turn-up was more critical than the curve .The increese in the width of the loop offsets the lack of curve allowing the coupling to be used on curves less than 6ft in 7mm and 4ft in 4mm. Buffering shouldn't be tight as this would stop the system working and the sightly loose coupling gives movement side ways when gong round curves. I have tested the 7mm version down to a 3ft4 curve (peco set track) and there was more than enought movement even on a reverse curve.
hope this helps
Marc