The Heybridge Railway, 1889 to 1913

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I am working my way through the final detail work.

DSC_7494.jpeg
I have fixed the power switch with glue. I would prefer screws but everything on this model is that bit too confined.

DSC_7502.jpeg
The base for the coal is Sculptamold. I wanted something I could pick out one day if necessary. The Sculptamold takes black ink well.

DSC_7525.jpeg
The top of the reverse lever will be visible but I have painted the whole thing.

DSC_7514.jpeg
The inside of the smokebox now carries two magnets (to hold the door) and a power socket. This assembly was far more difficult than it ought to have been but of course the magnets want to stick to each other not to the model. Everything in here is encased in Araldite.

DSC_7518.jpeg
I ended up respraying the smokebox and its door because the gloss cellulose showed up ever flaw and there were rather too many of them.

I'm still pleased with this chimney, though I probably put in far more effort than it really deserved. I suspect I will be touching up the edges of the smokebox door forever. Time to get out the black Sharpie :)

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Black Sharpie then dry brush with gunmetal paint. Gives the impression it is worn without having to retouch every time.

I don't have any gunmetal but I have found an ancient tin of Humbrol Metalcote "polished steel". The colour doesn't resemble real steel (like Slater's wheels) but it is adding a bit of life when applied over black Sharpie (or paint) and burnished with a cotton bud.