Captain Kernow's layouts

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Where did you purchase the torch from? It looks like the ideal size!
The one illustrated is an old Ever Ready pen torch that I'd had for a while, but hadn't converted it to a 'hooked' coupling hook, like a few others I've been using over the years.

You can, however, get pen torches easily enough on line, I bought a couple the other day, about the same size as the one above. Apparently they are used by the medical profession.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I've now finished Herring numbers 3 and 4 and also the Ling. These are all in P4:

All are unsprung and uncompensated.

As 'Callow Lane' isn't set up at the moment and as I can't visit Re6/6 to pose them on 'Marsh Sidings' either, here they are precariously balanced on 'Bethesda Sidings':

The part-loads visible in one of the above photos hide the fact that there is a quantity of liquid lead in the bottom of the hoppers of each wagon. There really isn't anywhere else on these wagons to put sufficient weight, in order to aid road-holding in P4. Without it, they would just be too lightweight and would probably keep derailing. I wouldn't even run such lightweight wagons in OO, to be honest. The two left hand wagons have removable 'full loads' of Whitecliff Quarry ballast and the two on the right will be similarly fitted in due course. Each wagon now averages 45 grams.

Also posed on 'Bethesda Sidings':

Also converted to P4 recently is this Hornby 'Toad'. Apart from a small amount of plastic that needs to be removed from the brake gear assemblies on each wheel, it was a pretty straightforward conversion, although I've also done this one rigid. A hole was also cut in the floor of the van area and a decent amount of lead glued inside, to bring the weight up to 50 grams. It's still awaiting weathering at the moment:

Since the above photo was taken, the brake van has been re-lettered (using Cambridge Custom Transfers excellent product) to a Lydney van.

Finally, I've recently had four P4 converted diesels back from Tom Foster, who has done an utterly brilliant job weathering them for me. Here they are, again posed precariously on 'Bethesda Sidings':

All the diesels will be used on 'Callow Lane' in due course.

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
I've now finished Herring numbers 3 and 4 and also the Ling. These are all in P4:

All are unsprung and uncompensated.

As 'Callow Lane' isn't set up at the moment and as I can't visit Re6/6 to pose them on 'Marsh Sidings' either, here they are precariously balanced on 'Bethesda Sidings':

The part-loads visible in one of the above photos hide the fact that there is a quantity of liquid lead in the bottom of the hoppers of each wagon. There really isn't anywhere else on these wagons to put sufficient weight, in order to aid road-holding in P4. Without it, they would just be too lightweight and would probably keep derailing. I wouldn't even run such lightweight wagons in OO, to be honest. The two left hand wagons have removable 'full loads' of Whitecliff Quarry ballast and the two on the right will be similarly fitted in due course. Each wagon now averages 45 grams.

Also posed on 'Bethesda Sidings':

Also converted to P4 recently is this Hornby 'Toad'. Apart from a small amount of plastic that needs to be removed from the brake gear assemblies on each wheel, it was a pretty straightforward conversion, although I've also done this one rigid. A hole was also cut in the floor of the van area and a decent amount of lead glued inside, to bring the weight up to 50 grams. It's still awaiting weathering at the moment:

Since the above photo was taken, the brake van has been re-lettered (using Cambridge Custom Transfers excellent product) to a Lydney van.

Finally, I've recently had four P4 converted diesels back from Tom Foster, who has done an utterly brilliant job weathering them for me. Here they are, again posed precariously on 'Bethesda Sidings':

All the diesels will be used on 'Callow Lane' in due course.

Captain ..... what the blazes ? I was shocked, I was reading with delight, scrolling down and admiring the stock, especially the WR / SR oil burners .... a Crompton nice , a Blue FYE Hymek very nice, a plain Green Hymek throw back very nice again, scrolling my mouse button slowly, in anticipation of a possible Baby Warship ................................ only to be met by a chopper !!!!! it is very nice though :thumbs:.

Yours sincerely,

Almost delighted of Pen Llyn
Craig.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Tim, did you use brass bearings on your toad conversion? I have a couple to do in the round tuit pile.

I didn’t bother with my EM conversion (but I think I made more elaborate provision with the brake gear, spacing it out a bit). I’ll see if I can find the right box...

Adam

Last edited:

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
The latest loco for Bethesda Sidings, the Cotswold 16XX, is just about completed. I finally summoned up the enthusiasm to set the shed up for airbrushing yesterday and gave it a couple of coats of a Martyn Welch-inspired weathering mix, much of which was wiped off when touch-dry and this morning had a session with the weathering powders. All that's left to do are the sand pipes and some coal in the bunker.

1628 ended her days at Croes Newydd shed near Wrexham and was the last 16XX operational in BR service, the now-preserved 1638 having been withdrawn earlier.