The Kernow Kontinuum

Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by Captain Kernow, 11 June 2010.

Tags:
  1. Captain Kernow

Captain Kernow Western Thunderer

On a dull day to the north of Bristol, a rake of mineral wagons is shunted at Callow Lane:
    [​IMG]

john lewsey, JasonBz, iak63 and 9 others like this.
  2. Captain Kernow

Ben Ashworth had to climb a pretty tall tree to get this view of Bleakhouse Road, on one of his rare forays down to the Somerset Levels:

[​IMG]

Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM magazine.

3. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Surely it would have been in B&W

with apologises to Andy
    KK BEN A B&W).jpg

Geoff, Podartist79, PaulR and 5 others like this.
  4. Captain Kernow

Well, almost certainly it would have been, but I felt that on this occasion, he treated himself to a roll of colour film! (he does seem to have taken the odd view in colour).

5. Captain Kernow

Yesterday, after a lot of delay , postponement and procrastination, I finally cleared a space in the house, to allow Callow Lane to be set up for a few weeks, for testing and for scenic work to be done in the area immediately around the join between the two scenic boards.

The power was connected and to my immense relief, it all seemed to work OK, after almost 7 years of storage!

Here is some footage of a Hymek doing the honours, the first movement on the layout after all that time:

Podartist79, JasonBz, iak63 and 5 others like this.
  6. Captain Kernow

I then tested a few other locos and also some stock, which I had built during the intervening time.

Kitbuilt 16XX:

7. Captain Kernow

A bit more footage, this time showing an RT Models Sentinel in action. I should add that I didn't build this one, but was fortunate enough to acquire it from the builder via EBay:

Podartist79, JasonBz, iak63 and 6 others like this.
  8. Phil O

Phil O Western Thunderer

Tim, did you clean the track first, or is it straight out of storage, if it is it runs superbly.

9. Captain Kernow

Hi Phil, thanks, but I did clean the track first! It's steel rail, so I was initially concerned that there was no rust, but fortunately there wasn't, so I only had to give it a going over with a cloth soaked in cellulose thinners.

Phil O likes this.
  10. Captain Kernow

Shunting some Herring:

john lewsey, Neil, JasonBz and 5 others like this.
  11. Captain Kernow

The Marsh branch, Parkend, early 1960s:
    20210524_143955_A.jpg

(My stock, John Farmer's layout)

JasonBz, Geoff, Wagonman and 10 others like this.
  12. Captain Kernow

With the road bridge forming a central feature of the layout and being located right on a board joint, I do need to ensure that the scenery matches up on each side, yet doesn't foul the vertical pieces of plywood bolted to the ends, to protect the layout in storage and when being transported.

As such, although I am planning to work on the scenery on each individual board in isolation (in my work room, where I have space for one board at a time and don't need extended permission to occupy elsewhere in the house), I do need to do some of the basics around the road bridge area, with both boards joined up.

One of the next tasks, is to cut out and fit a card road surface, that includes the road over the bridge, the lane down in front of one set of cottages, plus the access road to the goods yard. I want this to be all cut from one piece of card, so that there is a kind of 'flow' to it and no avoidable join lines.

Having produced a paper template in the same manner for the simpler road on 'Bethesda Sidings', I set about doing the same for 'Callow Lane', sticking smaller pieces of paper together with Sellotape, until the whole area was covered:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The completed template was then removed and positioned on a large piece of light grey Daler board:
    [​IMG]

I then lightly taped the template to the Dalerboard, drew round the outline and cut the resulting piece of card out:
    [​IMG]

The card roadway was then positioned on the layout. Fortunately only a few minor tweaks were necessary to get it to fit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a lot more work to be done here, of course, including making and fitting pavements and other street furniture, painting and weathering etc.

chrisb, Geoff, Peter Cross and 15 others like this.
  13. john lewsey

john lewsey Western Thunderer

Good to see this again, one of my favorites
    John

Captain Kernow likes this.
  14. Mike Garwood

Mike Garwood Western Thunderer

Tim
    Looks really good. I do like the houses, they fit the surrounding incredibly well. Keep posting - always get something from others good modelling.

Mike

Geoff, john lewsey and Captain Kernow like this.
  15. NHY 581

NHY 581 Western Thunderer

Very nice, Tim.

That terrace really does look the part. However its the glimpses of the track that catch my eye. Superb.

Rob.

Captain Kernow likes this.
  16. Stewart

Stewart Western Thunderer

Hi Tim,
    What a superb picture! Please accept my apologies if I have missed it earlier, but are the terrace houses scratch built, or are they from a kit, I think Howard Scenics did/do a similar terrace kit.
    Many thanks
    Mark

17. Captain Kernow

Hi Mark,
    Yes, the cottages in the photo are modified Howard Scenics kits. I really like the gentle orange hue to the bricks.

Pencarrow likes this.
  18. Stewart

Stewart Western Thunderer

Hi Tim,
    Many thanks, I will have to try and see if they are currently available. I will look forward to more updates.
    Mark

19. iak63

iak63 Western Thunderer

It's alive.....

20. Captain Kernow