The Princeton Branch

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Did the BR(W) dispatch coaches off the reservation, sorry if it sounds odd but the WoE often played host to the occasional BR(E) coach that wandered down to Sidmouth from Cleethorpes (see below) but not sure if the Western would trust the Southern.
If it did happen that a single coach from Wolverhampton had found itself heading towards the Jurassic Coast in the late ‘40-50s what would it likely to be, hopefully a Hawksworth compo :) freshly outshopped in CLC

Below a random image of a lost activity not far from where I am sat.

E0513911-C749-49D4-8715-FBCD83700606.jpeg
Templecombe with a Cleethorpian coach attached to set 398 Though not sure if it going or coming to Sidmouth

Tim

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Can't comment on the coaching stock, although I'm pretty sure from memory that various coaches were "borrowed" when convenient. That photo is a cracker, though. I reckon it's a train coming down to the S & D from Templecombe High Level. I believe the first and third coaches behind the 9F are Maunsell Brakes but doubtless someone with great knowledge will expand.

Following an error in planning (what's new?) I made that very trip with an LMS Ivatt 2P 2-6-2T in charge and then to Bournemouth West and New Milton. I seem to remember that the trip from Seaton took four changes of train - or maybe five.

Brian

AJC

Western Thunderer
I reckon it's a train coming down to the S & D from Templecombe High Level. I believe the first and third coaches behind the 9F are Maunsell Brakes but doubtless someone with great knowledge will expand.

Brian

It's a Maunsell three set (number per Tim's post) and of a type regularly used on the S&DJR - the lack of passenger capacity was less of a problem there, though I don't suppose the extra luggage space was unduly taxed!

There was plenty of WR coaching stock floating around on the Southern - on the SR branch to Chard, for example, and around Yeovil (bandit country there, however - all sorts of things showed up). But through coaches on SR services? Yes, probably, but I'm not sure about the particulars. The limiting factors would be the BS corridors used on the Western and the Pullman corridors on the SR (well, on SR-built and later vehicles, not LSWR vehicles) so gangway adaptors would be required. I imagine such workings could be fairly easy to justify (forces leave for example?).

Adam

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The reason, though somewhat immature, is simple enough, whilst I like the Gresley (compatible connections etc) a Hornby Hawksworth is IMHO the pinnacle* of RTR coaching stock. A compo in CLC would be a worthy replacement for the lacklustre Gresley.

Tim

*I feel the same about the Oxford GER van.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
The S&DJR branch to Highbridge, in later years, often featured an Ivatt 2.6.2T with a Hawksworth Brake and a Southern bogie utility van.

But this was after yhe Western Region assumed control so Panniers and 2251 were also ever present as were the usual 4F and 3F.

The coach formation in the OP is one of the S&D Maunsell sets, most likely numbered in the 39* series.
I think the Gresley was simply tacked on rather than a through working.

Rob.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
The reason, though somewhat immature, is simple enough, whilst I like the Gresley (compatible connections etc) a Hornby Hawksworth is IMHO the pinnacle* of RTR coaching stock. A compo in CLC would be a worthy replacement for the lacklustre Gresley.

Tim

*I feel the same about the Oxford GER van.

BR group,

CLC to me = Cheshire Lines Committee, but in your context are you saying chocolate and cream if so would c&c not be more appropriate.

OzzyO.

Keith.Macdonald

Re << various coaches were "borrowed" when convenient >>

Some "borrowed" coaches (on the Yealmpton to Princeton branch) have a supporting role in this lovely nostalgic video.
"A Brief Journey - sailor's run ashore in 1954 to Plymouth, Dartmoor and Looe"

The Princeton train is pulled by 4410, coaches shown are M7725M and M26176M (and a pastie is sixpence in old money).

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Spot the LNWR Corridor brake composite. Quite why so much LMS stock was in use is a puzzle.

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Spot the LNWR Corridor brake composite. Quite why so much LMS stock was in use is a puzzle.

Having done a fair amount of research over the years on the Launceston and Princetown branchlines for my own Horrabridge project, during the late 1940s to mid-1950s, the coaching stock allocated for local services in the Plymouth area was in a very poor state.

There were a lot of very old auto trailers, which were life-expired before the war, used on the Saltash 'railmotor' workings and a pair scheduled to work the Tavistock auto-workings. However, in the early 1950s a senior BR manager visited Laira and had a total fit over the frankly dilapidated stock and requested that some of it was scrapped and some had interim refits to enable a few more years of service.

I suspect that this created quite a major shortage during the holiday season (and beyond). For a few years, nothing 'extra' seemed to materialise and while these older coaches had a fresh lick of paint, 'foreign' stock was pinched presumably to enable 'WR proper' stock to avoid being pressed into traffic. There are several photos of LMS trio sets at Launceston on various summer Saturdays after the war in various books.

When some of the Welsh lines received DMUs, newer Hawksworth stock was cascaded to Plymouth and the older (some getting on for 50 plus years old) auto trailers were finally done away with.

The Princetown branch had two or three coaches officially allocated to the branch (although for most of the year, only one was ever needed at a time), and were rotated fortnightly for cleaning and turning to try and balance out the flange wear. Again, I suspect that 'foreign' stock would be 'borrowed' to avoid additional wear on the allocated set!

Regards,
Nick

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that info nick. It looks like the London Midland loaned the stock and sent old stuff that it could easily spare. A 60' panelled open third for instance and possibly a brake composite that had been re-skinned with Stanier sides.