7mm The Rise and Fall of Holme Lacy?

SimonT

Western Thunderer
In my last ramblings I mentioned that I was going to make a start on the stone station buildings. I mused on the possibilty of plastic construction with a DAS infill for the rough stonework inside the dressed quoins. The more I thought of this method the more uncertain I became. In a rare moment of inspration I decided to look at the work on Pencarrow by Chris. He mentioned that he sands Wills Rough Stone sheet down and cuts fresh stones. After another glass of the red stuff, a path to the future started to form. This metaphysical path took form this morning with a test piece.
DSC02694a.jpg
Quoins cut from Evergreen strip with an old piece of Wills stone on a piece of 30thou; the piece is 50mm high. Primed with MIG surface primer which gives a more translucent finish than Halfords primer. Painted with MIG light and dark buff shade. Mortar is a water solution of MIG weathering powders (AKA poster paint). The hard colour gradient on the top two quoins doesn't appear with the Mk1 eyeball but is picked up by the camera. The photos of the station show this was a honey coloured stone.
I think this might work.

jonte

Western Thunderer
In my last ramblings I mentioned that I was going to make a start on the stone station buildings. I mused on the possibilty of plastic construction with a DAS infill for the rough stonework inside the dressed quoins. The more I thought of this method the more uncertain I became. In a rare moment of inspration I decided to look at the work on Pencarrow by Chris. He mentioned that he sands Wills Rough Stone sheet down and cuts fresh stones. After another glass of the red stuff, a path to the future started to form. This metaphysical path took form this morning with a test piece.
View attachment 125770
Quoins cut from Evergreen strip with an old piece of Wills stone on a piece of 30thou; the piece is 50mm high. Primed with MIG surface primer which gives a more translucent finish than Halfords primer. Painted with MIG light and dark buff shade. Mortar is a water solution of MIG weathering powders (AKA poster paint). The hard colour gradient on the top two quoins doesn't appear with the Mk1 eyeball but is picked up by the camera. The photos of the station show this was a honey coloured stone.
I think this might work.

Indeed it does work, Simon.

Top drawer.

Jonte

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
View attachment 125770
I think this might work.

Great finish, looks spot on to me. Glad it worked for you. :thumbs:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Greetings!
Well there has been a flury of plastic shavings and dust, incorrectly cut parts, the odd correct part, assembly and thankfully, no spilt bottle of plastic glue. To give you an idea of my assembly method here is a picture. (A bit of a SOTBO. Don't do it again. Ed)
DSC02728ap.jpg
The completed panels are assembled on a 1.5mm base to give the basic shape. The dressed stone quoins are formed from 1.5mm x 6.3mm strip and those for the windows are made from more 1.5mm x 4mm strip. The Wills stone sheet is sanded at both the back and front to bring it down to 1.5mm thickness and then cut to fit between the dressed stone, mostly from small easy to handle panels. The joints are filled the Squadron filler and new stone carved in the manner of that Penncarrot bloke.

The result plonked on the trainset.
DSC02707a.jpg
You may notice that the signal box has received a coat of paint. All done with acrylics in the manner of Yorkshire Bloke. Now, for those who are still paying attention, a small quiz. What is wrong with the station building?

To help, here is another view.
DSC02711a.jpg

The train spotter has made an appearance on yet another of my layouts. Should the Dragon that sat on a rocky outcrop on Aberbeeg make an appearance? Still not got the quiz answer? Maybe this will help.
DSC02727a.jpg
Yes, there are two doors into the same room. I only built direct from the CAD drawing which I also drew.....

The duplicate doorway on the long front is now a window. I am now building the small waiting room and gents for the down platform to this level before I do the fiddly bit with windows and doors. If the design is wrong in size or shape I would rather remedy it now before the windows are done.

May the sky never fall on your head, as they say in Asterix.

Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
You may notice that the signal box has received a coat of paint. All done with acrylics in the manner of Yorkshire Bloke. Now, for those who are still paying attention, a small quiz. What is wrong with the station building?

Simon

I know what it is - it's a Greek temple which is, I agree, a bit inappropriate.......:)

Brian

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Something just happened in the peaceful wilds of Herefordshire.
DSC02747.JPG

The tinkers have been in and knicked the track! As with all conspiracy theories this is long on drama and short on fact. Those who have paid attention up till now will recall that there was a trailing crossover situated between the platforms. On the up (left) side it gave a run around of only five wagons. I have the fiddle yard space to run eleven wagon trains onto the layout. Ergo, the crossover was in the wrong place.

There was a second problem in that the colliery line, laid in blue diesel days, was too tight for the four axles of a 42XX to get around. Before Angry of Westerham writes in about in the inpropriety of such action - it's my train set and if I want to run 42XX hauled coal trains from a colliery in Herefordshire I will. Wait until you see the 9F doing the run. (Point of fact. On a couple of occasions a 9F really really was seen on the line. A Britania was also spotted - but just the once.) So the colliery line curvature is now more generous.

All this rambling ignores a bigger change. As I don't want to run straight off the fiddle yard cassette onto the platform roads, and I wanmt to have sufficient distance beyond the colliery entrance to fit a loco and 11, I am going to build two additional boards. These will be about 1m long and will pack together like the main boards do. The board nearest the camera will either have a cross over or the remains of one where one of the lines has been lifted and the branch track slewed into the remaining turnout. (For Phil. This is where the bridge will go;))

This change will give three configurations for the layout.
1. As above with a FY bolted to this end.
2. With both new boards on and a FY at this end so the station functions as a terminus.
3. With a FY at each end functioning as a through station (the shed configuration)

The layout has been allowed into the dinning room for this work to take place as outside I am insulating the inside of the shed and will then line it when the timber is delivered next week. Then it is electrics, some white paint, beer fridge, comfy chair and a sign on the door reading "NO GURLS ALOWED" (sign curtesy of Molesworth, N)

Stay safe
Simon

Last edited:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Well, without contractors, legal agreements that stand three stories high, sub-contractors, lawyers, sub-sub contractors, more lawyers, even more lawyers, accountants, contractors that nobody knows about, shiney suited snake oil selling consultants and even more bleeding lawyers, the job came in early and under budget. There's a moral there somewhere.
DSC02748.JPG
The first money earning train is putting a van into the mock up of the new goods shed in the newly laid yard. The factory has gone thanks to my stupidity. It was held onto the layout by half a dozen screws. I removed the screws to get the factory out of the way to do some work and then put the factory back into the recess on the layout. A month later I tipped the layout onto it's back to install the signals. Yes, you are there ahead of me and the loud crash that you predicted, but I didn't, did indeed take place as the factory exhibited the falling characteristics of a brick and the floor won. I took it as a sign.
Next job will be to prime the track with Halfords grey and to do a bit of painting. The platforms no longer match the curves and will be replaced with plastic ones when I can get over to Eileens to pick up some big sheets of plastic card.
Simon

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Judging by the state of the rail heads closure cannot be far away.
DSC02763.jpg

DOH!DSC02764.jpg
The scrappys are in already! The lighting and camera have altered the colour of the rails and chairs from a dull rust colour to brown. They are due some more washes to provide some variation in colour.

Meanwhile, back in the real world I have been insulating and lining the shed.
DSC02762.jpg
The ceiling is full of 170mm of glass insulation and the walls have 100mm as that is the standard size of the timber used for the walls. It is now lined with ply and T &G cladding on the ceiling. My didgital themometer tells me that it is 5 to 6 degrees warmer than outside with the 1.9kW oil radiator on a very low setting. It warms up 2 degrees in an hour with me in it. The humidity has dropped from 95% to 60%, another win. I might leave the dehumidifier off this winter.

Next job is to sort out the electrics as, at the moment, it is run off an extension lead from the house. There will be two more strip lights at either end to provide lighting for the layout for general work. The layout will get it's pwn LED ligthing system soon so that colour work can take place under the correct lighting. As we live in one of the wettest places in the UK, the sun will always be shining on Holme Lacy

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Insulation under the floor
I would but to do that would reduce the height of the ceiling! The building is built on 10"x3" timbers that are kept off the uneven and sloping concrete slab by similar sized plastic feet. Top height is a smidge under 3m to escape planning restrictions. The roof pitch is 10 degrees and the remaining space is used to to fit a Kirmond and an occasional passing Dale in and they are rather long! The floor is 22mm OSB that seems to cope but a layer of insulation and a chip board floor would take three inches.

I've just been pottering in the shed and realised that the extra strip lights are superfluous. The layout LED strips, recycled from Aberbeeg, need to go up to provide layout and general lighting. The modeling bench at the far end looks dark but it has a neon under the shelf and a LED worklight on the flexy arm.

Simon

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Bill,
thank you for your suggestion. At the moment the floor isn't a problem and it wasn't particularly last winter but then it it was only very wet and very windy. It will be intersting to see if it becomes an issue when we get a prolonged cold snap and get cut off in the snow and ice. But then I might prefer to be inside near a wood burner in the snug;).
Simon

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I need to get to climb over one with a camera and something has made that rather difficult!

I think the nearest one to me at the moment is at Didcot, although I could be wrong. And 3850 has left the WSR maybe out of ticket ?

Martyn.

Last edited: