Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Interesting prototypical '4-link' coupler there!! Was the rear coupler the same, did you happen to notice?
I've noted on threads on RMweb that the Dapol 7mm Terrier in particular seems to suffer from buffer locking on tight curves, especially at the rear due to the long overhang from axle to buffer beam. I wonder if the real thing suffered from a similar issue.?

This is a standard SR three shackle coupling fitted from the 1940s to many SR locos classes still in service.

They may have well sufferd from buffer locking - except the answer was to carry an extra three link coupler on the hook to gain the extra reach for shunting in a similar fashion as the SR US tanks (USATC S160) did around Southampton docks.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
View attachment 209073

Interesting prototypical '4-link' coupler there!! Was the rear coupler the same, did you happen to notice?
I've noted on threads on RMweb that the Dapol 7mm Terrier in particular seems to suffer from buffer locking on tight curves, especially at the rear due to the long overhang from axle to buffer beam. I wonder if the real thing suffered from a similar issue.?

Sorry Jordan, no shot of the rear. You can potentially make out some elements of the rear coupling in the side view but I doubt anything conclusive.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Well done, Rob. I didn't realise there was a voting thing, but CTMK evidently did, because she told me that she thought your's was the best there.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob. It was good to catch up with you and Sheep Dip at the show earlier today.

Congratulations on winning the "Best Layout in Show" award.

Tim

Oh well done young man

Well done Rob

regards

Mike

Great stuff, Rob. Well deserved.

Brian

Well done, Rob. I didn't realise there was a voting thing, but CTMK evidently did, because she told me that she thought your's was the best there.

Morning all,

Thank you all for those kind words. 'Tis true. Whilst I was chatting to Tim ( 7007 ) I was handed the plaque, Sheep Dip having been voted for by the visitors as best layout in show, something I was totally unaware of. In fact, I didn't know there was such a thing. I was quite taken aback by it.

20240325_092235-01.jpeg

This then is one of my favourite views of Sheep Dip showing typical motive power. A resident Peckett and visiting 03.

20230713_002916.jpg

Overall, Dippy did very well. A slight issue towards the end of Saturday, arose from my wonky hand forgetting it was holding the controller and dropping it. This pulled a wire out of the plug connector which connects (!) the controller to the layout. A quick soldering session on Sunday morning before doors opened attended to it.

And that was that.

Next outing then is a trip to the seaside at Minehead with EWE for June 1st.

Rob.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Thank you all for those kind words. 'Tis true. Whilst I was chatting to Tim ( 7007 ) I was handed the plaque, Sheep Dip having been voted for by the visitors as best layout in show, something I was totally unaware of. In fact, I didn't know there was such a thing. I was quite taken aback by it.

View attachment 212117

This then is one of my favourite views of Sheep Dip showing typical motive power. A resident Peckett and visiting 03.

View attachment 212116

Overall, Dippy did very well. A slight issue towards the end of Saturday, arose from my wonky hand forgetting it was holding the controller and dropping it. This pulled a wire out of the plug connector which connects (!) the controller to the layout. A quick soldering session on Sunday morning before doors opened attended to it.

And that was that.

Next outing then is a trip to the seaside at Minehead with EWE for June 1st.

Rob.

Tidy

Phil O

Western Thunderer
P&SECMRC, were asked if we could exhibit ruan, but due to prior engagements we are unable to help Dave out this year.

I would have enjoyed seeing Sheepy again and other regular exhibitors and traders.

Enjoy the show, it has been very good in the past, in the old venue.