NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Evening all.

The beauty of a layout such as Bleat Wharf is that there is very little to link it to a particular company. Whilst always intended to be a slice of Somerset, it also needed to be a generic 'Southern' layout.
The only signage is that of the L&SWR ( though more will be forthcoming) and that is quite discreet.

This allows a bit of small Southern shunty tank action........which is what we have this weekend.

Here's a Hattons P class which I find quite a charming little chap, despite the gazebo for a cab roof. It runs very well indeed, equally up to the Dapol B4 and capable of the smoothest of slow running.

Rob. 20200605_192412-02.jpeg 20200605_192151-03.jpeg 20200606_113635-01.jpeg 20200606_113536-01.jpeg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
20200606_195250-01.jpeg Morning all.

One of the long overdue jobs on Sheep Dip was the finishing of the floor inside the engine shed.

I finally got around to it yesterday, using some strip wood as a basis. Once glued down, it was coloured using various shades of pastels before being sealed with varnish. I quite like working with pastels and they do have their uses, certainly when weathering structures.

It's still a work in progress but I have no idea why it has taken me so long to do. Once happy with it all I shall finally seat the buildings properly.

Here are a few photos. My apologies for the poor quality but I hope you get the gist. I shall post some better ones later.

Rob. 20200606_194935-01.jpeg 20200606_194848-02.jpeg

Last edited:

Stubby47

Western Thunderer
The Pecketts would only be in a similar condition if they had been bought together ( unlikely) or last repainted together (also unlikely).
So a difference in appearance is perfectly acceptable.

P A D

Western Thunderer
I thought the ornate arm on the water tank was to indicate the water level, but now that I see you've added a chain, I assume it's to open the valve to release the water. Was it like a toilet flush so only dispensed a set volume of water, or did the engine man have to pull and hold it?

Beautiful modelling.
Cheers,
Peter

simond

Western Thunderer
The Pecketts would only be in a similar condition if they had been bought together ( unlikely) or last repainted together (also unlikely).
So a difference in appearance is perfectly acceptable.

I'd expect differences, but the same loco, doing the same job, in the same location, would surely suffer quite similar weathering.

After all, all Vauxhall Vivas all rotted in the same places...

atb
Simon