NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

My apologies but it has been quite a while since I have posted hereon.

There's not been a great deal of modelling at Sheep Towers as of late, for a variety of reasons.

That will need to change however as Project X has an exhibition booked for April next year.

Most activity has centered around the acquisition of suitable motive power. I now have four Class 03 shunters upon which much in the way of reliance will be placed.

20210911_111606-01.jpeg

A few photos of a 'Test' session.

20211116_195515.jpg

20211107_120501-01.jpeg

20211116_195610.jpg

Rob.

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
What about the 04's and 05's, at least 2 of each.....and a W&M Railbus.

Evening Rob.

The W&M is very tempting but Project X is goods only. As for the shunters, I have an 04 and whilst the running is much improved from receipt, Its not really good enough.

The Heljan 05 however is on 'the list'. Unfortunately the versions modelled seem to be the 'North Eastern' or 'Scottish' versions with the bigger windows rather than the smaller windowed versions on the ex-Great Eastern lines. So rule 1 might have to apply, unless of course there were larger window examples on the ex-G.E........

Rob.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi Rob, nice to see 03s, very East Anglian as Phil says above. Likewise 04s but I never saw any, just 03s. The 04s had gone when I started spotting!

Have you seen this book on Diesels in E Anglia? I picked up a copy a couple of years ago and there are a some good phlotos showing the new diesels, plus plenty of wagons still. It is only about 36 pages but some photos are A4 size. A shame on some of the captions as some 03s are really 04s but it does not distract from the photo.

I have taken the liberty in taking a copy of one photo just to demonstrate the content, hopefully the author and publisher do not mind. I apologise if I have infringed copyright.

One point though Rob, could you point me to the pages in your thread which show how you weather your stock please. I have started to go through the 56 pages and get the general idea but can I be the pain in a*** who asks!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on Project X.

All the best

Julian

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
View attachment 152251 View attachment 152252

Hi Rob, nice to see 03s, very East Anglian as Phil says above. Likewise 04s but I never saw any, just 03s. The 04s had gone when I started spotting!

Have you seen this book on Diesels in E Anglia? I picked up a copy a couple of years ago and there are a some good phlotos showing the new diesels, plus plenty of wagons still. It is only about 36 pages but some photos are A4 size. A shame on some of the captions as some 03s are really 04s but it does not distract from the photo.

I have taken the liberty in taking a copy of one photo just to demonstrate the content, hopefully the author and publisher do not mind. I apologise if I have infringed copyright.

One point though Rob, could you point me to the pages in your thread which show how you weather your stock please. I have started to go through the 56 pages and get the general idea but can I be the pain in a*** who asks!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on Project X.

All the best

Julian

Morning Julian,

Apologies for the delay in responding. There are accounts and I will try a find one. I'm not sure if you have seen this but I have a weathering thread. In here are various nods to how I've done things.

Sheep blokes weathering.

If you work back, you'll get the gist.

I will however post something more expansive in due course.

For now, here is a view of the latest loco to grace Project X. Though a Great Eastern area loco, looks like they were confined to East London freights with runs to other company's lines due to reliability 'issues'.

However, it's rather nice so we will see one on Project X.

It's a Heljan Class 16 or NBL Type One to be accurate. Factory weathered so I look upon this as a starting point but to be fair, I won't be adding too much to it.

The running unfortunately mirrors the prototype. It does run but there is a slight judder at low speeds and it will not 'grind'to a halt in a satisfactory way.

I've had a good look. Gears are all fine and rotate freely. One bogie had copious amounts of white sticky grease, now removed.

The cylindrical motor is retained by two O rings around it which engage in slots in the chassis. There is also a spigot on the chassis which engages at one end of the motor but nothing at the other end. In theory, the motor could move about.

I think something is 'loading' something else and is thereby being restricted. The motor seems to turn smoothly and does not appear tight.

I know some have disconnected one bogie, others have applied a shim between the two halves of the gear towers to ease possible pressure on the clamps around the worm housings.

I was going to return it due to the running but I want to perservere with it. It's a lovely loco and a fine model. A classic heart over head situation............

20211124_224021-02-01.jpeg

20211126_235720-02.jpeg

Rob.

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob
Thanks for the pointer and I had actually looked at it a couple of days ago, I will look at powders as a starting point.
Lovely looking class 16 as well, not sure if I ever saw any but I will have to see. I think it is quite bad of manufacturers to let that problem slip through or is it a one off? Good luck with trying to resolve it.
One day I may see one of your layouts in the flesh.
All the best
Julian

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan,

The eye level photo is of the Class 16. I too get muddled. Regretably, as it's a nice feature, the 15s have disc wheels rather than spoked.

I find both the 15s and 16s very attractive locos. Rubbish in real life of course but nice models in their own right and just the right size for the short ( very ! ) services on the new layout.

On the subject of this new layout, Project X now has a name and I acquired the letters today.

EWE.

Layout nameboard to follow.

20211213_154535-01.jpeg

Rob.