Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob for the info on the facia's etc. I like the idea of a 'group standard' fiddle yard. On lighting, I hoped the curve on the front of my layout would provide enough forward illumination, but sadly it didn't and the wagons on the frontmost siding are a bit shadowy.
Cheers
Tony

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Looking at your image 'A couple of views of Sheep Dip not previously possible...'
That random stone walling looks rather good.
At the risk of asking something already described, how was it done?

Peter

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Peter,

The Bachmann buildings are lovely mouldings but, being factory mass produced items, have a bit of a bland finish as supplied.

Taking the 'coal store' as an example....

s-l400-1.jpg

The doors were over painted with Humbrol green enamel a different shade to the original finish. Individual stones were then picked out with various coloured enamels. Brick red, light grey, field grey, dark earth, cream and leather from memory. The result was a bit loud to be honest but I then weathered the stone work using humbrol 'smoke' weathering powder which toned the colours down and settled into the gaps between the stones. Metal work was weathered using 'smoke', 'black' and 'iron oxide powders. The door was next using 'dark earth, 'smoke' and a streak or two of 'rust' powders. To finish, the door was then distressed a tad using a fibre pen.

20200418_134928-01.jpeg-01-01.jpeg

20200609_185917-09.jpeg.49e1594485354d945dcc25fe7d24589c.jpeg-01.jpeg

20210303_223317-01-02.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Morning Peter,

The Bachmann buildings are lovely mouldings but, being factory mass produced items, have a bit of a bland finish as supplied.

Taking the 'coal store' as an example....

View attachment 141875

The doors were over painted with Humbrol green enamel a different shade to the original finish. Individual stones were then picked out with various coloured enamels. Brick red, light grey, field grey, dark earth, cream and leather from memory. The result was a bit loud to be honest but I then weathered the stone work using humbrol 'smoke' weathering powder which toned the colours down and settled into the gaps between the stones. Metal work was weathered using 'smoke', 'black' and 'iron oxide powders. The door was next using 'dark earth, 'smoke' and a streak or two of 'rust' powders. To finish, the door was then distressed a tad using a fibre pen.

View attachment 141873

View attachment 141877

View attachment 141876

Hope this helps.

Rob.
Hi Rob , a like isn't enough . That last photo is sooooo good .
Cheers Paul

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Thanks Pauls.

Much appreciated. I do need to start the ball rolling on the next project but amongst other things, work is all consuming at present.

Hopefully, things will quieten down a smidge in a couple of weeks time...

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

If all goes well and subject to, no doubt, many things, Bleat Wharf is off to an exhibition towards the end of the year. The organisers have asked for a few images.

So, to get the ball rolling, here are a couple of new views of Bleat taken by our old friend, Norman Lockhart, who popped down to Bleat to capture the usual motive power.

Here are a few views of one of Bath Green Park's 4Fs, 43875.

20210502_201434-01.jpeg

20210502_194655-01.jpeg

20210502_131740-01.jpeg

Rob.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
On the subject of worrying, It's been a while since Sheepy has put in an appearance, I do hope he hasn't been worried by those terriers.