Bow Locks in P4.

Boxbrownie

Western Thunderer
What are these coupling you talk of?

Sorry, no idea what you have produced….my fault but always interested in better couplings for 4mm stuff.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
The are call "Flippem Automatic Coupling" they are a resigned "Dingham". The have a larger loop, with more material on them to cope with tighter curves and to be more robust. Hooks in 5 different heights in two lengths to compensate for the height differences that kit built wagons can have as well as different lengths of buffers. There is a height/depth gauge.
They are fully compatible with the old "Dingham" system and the new loops can be retrofitted to the original "Dingham" hooks.
The were done because the original system didn't work on my 7mm layouts. But when Trevor said he was throwing in the towel people ask if I would make my version available. I say yes then others asked it I could do them in 4mm as well so I have. The production etches are now with my etchers. I should be taking orders either next week or the week after for a mid February delivery date.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Yes please. I do have a plan for Carbean just north of St. Austell. Thought about doing it in 7mm but its just a bit big at 11ft. So a GWR 57xx would work.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just had a good rummage through my dad's workshop and found an old Airfix LYR pug kit. I know I would have to make a chassis for it and get some wheels form AG. So my next question is is it worth converting it to P4?
Marc

markjj

Western Thunderer
Just had a good rummage through my dad's workshop and found an old Airfix LYR pug kit. I know I would have to make a chassis for it and get some wheels form AG. So my next question is is it worth converting it to P4?
Marc
Marc
High level kits do a chassis for the RTR model that might fit. It's not cheap but I believe it has all gauge options.

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I think David Lane did an etched chassis kit for the little Peckett tank that Hornby produced. Would be ideal for a small layout. I would seriously recommend going the S4Soc as a first step – if only to read Tim's article on converting the Bachmann Pannier.

Richard

AJC

Western Thunderer
I think David Lane did an etched chassis kit for the little Peckett tank that Hornby produced. Would be ideal for a small layout. I would seriously recommend going the S4Soc as a first step – if only to read Tim's article on converting the Bachmann Pannier.

Richard

Not David Lane (@david bigcheeseplant here, I think), but Gordon Ashton. David, I think, can do clever things with resin wheel centres which is a help for finescale Pecketts as their wheels look nothing like Gibson's. That's a reflection of the real Peckett product rather than the Gibson wheel, I should add!

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have looked at the chassis kit. It's says the chassis doesn't fit the Airfix pug kit only the hornby/Dapol rtr. Looking at what I have in my store of 7mm CAD models could scale down my GER G15 tram loco. Which in theory would give me another 4mm kit to sell. And as I have all the models I can make sure everything works before making one.
I'm presuming like S7 compensating an 0-4-0 is less of an issue than an 0-6-0?

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Things have moved slightly I picked up a A5 C&L point kit on a well known auction site along with some wagon wheels and some rocking axle guards. I'm working on scaling down my GER 0-4-0 tram loco which should run on wagon wheels if things go to plan. Just need another point kit and some track gauges and I will start something physical.
I'm going to keep thing pritty small as I'm hoping to go to ScaleForum this year with the stand and it would be a good demo on the stand.
Marc

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc, you mention the GER tram loco and making a 4 mm chassis, well back in the 80s I made up a Ks GE tram kit and re-wheeled a Tenshodo motor bogie to run on P4 track. I know it should be an 060 chassis for that version but it ran beautifully. I exchanged it later with other 4 mm stuff for an Eric Underhill 2021 saddle tank kit in 0 gauge at Puffers. Thought I would mention this as it was a very quick conversion, even though it was not compensated as I said it ran very well.
Julian

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I do the brake van in 7mm and I'm working on scaling it down to 4 at the moment. My 7mm tram locos have an etched chassis that I was gong to scale down. I have ordered some wheels from Colin at Gibson's which should be here shortly then I can see what I need to do. I also have to wagon wheels that might work if I can get a drive between the axles.

Marc

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc, I just tried the website and could not open it in Safari browser, am I in the dark ages with technology or is the site currently not available?
Thanks
Julian

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,
Just checked the site it as far as I can see it up and running. It might be Apple. The boss is having issues with her apple device as well.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
So I have joined the Scalefour society and I've worked out what I'm going to do. At the start of lock down I bought a scalescene canal side layout in a boxfile with the plan to do it in S7 but it never got off the ground mainly as I lost my modelling mojo. So I'm going to have a crack at it in 4mm instead. I'm not a big fan of card buildings so I'm going to have a crack at 3D printing all the buildings instead of card. So I'm going to start once I have got rid of the covid that has locked me indoors with no access to plywood. I'm going to stick with he name I chose originally "Bow Locks" and it's going to be GER circ 1900.
Marc