Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Scimitars were infamous for requiring 1000 hours maintenance for every flying hour!
Mark
Yes. I only ever saw pairs parked up there. Never flying. A while after this the sea vixens arrived with that lovely array of colour schemes which (if you model aircraft) Model Alliance covered on a decal sheet released around the time the Airfix SV 48th kit was released. 2-3 subjects on the sheet were of Hurn-based machines.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I have a reference that shows 30112 being allocated to Bournemouth (71B) throughout from 1948 to withdrawal in 2/63. Once again, I cannot vouch for the accuracy and other references may show variation, but it may just help. I certainly saw this loco and photographed on a rather grey and wet day it at Bournemouth Central near the loco shed. The date is uncertain, but was 1952-ish. I was a young lad with a simple box-camera and a lot of ambition, but little knowledge of photographic technique! The picture is not of sufficient quality to appear any where except my own album as a happy memory.

Roger

daifly

Western Thunderer
According to The Book of the M7s by Peter Swift, 30112 was allocated to:
1906 Kingston
1931 Guildford
1937 Nine Elms
1948 Bournemouth
1950 Bournemouth
June 1962 Guildford
Withdrawn Feb 63
Scrapped Eastleigh Apr 63

Dave

MarkR

Western Thunderer
while after this the sea vixens arrived with
There used to be a Sea Vixen displayed on a roundabout in Christchurch, I think they were built there.
The Vixen was the last aircraft to take off from Tarrant Ruston airfield before it closed, between Wimborne and Blandford, Flight Refuelling were converting them to pilot-less target drones. When the airfield closed they moved to Hurn, where they remain.
Many apologies for thread drift!!
Mark

Andrew

Thank you Dave @Dave Holt for explaining the alternative route to Poole. Although I visited the Bournemouth area quite a lot as a youngster I never investigated the possible routes to and from places so that is useful information as is the comment by Adam @AJC . I appreciate the thought about the Yeovil U as well.

David @djparkins - most helpful additional info and and with Mark @MarkR the potential starting of a rabbit hole regarding Hurn Airport too. Keep 'em coming!

Your comment about 75027, Tim @timbowales is very apposite - we'll shortly be moving to the S & DR which I wanted to keep to myself until we start there but there's no harm in a trailer, is there? And while we're discussing 75027 I have to admit that, due to downright laziness, I didn't check the full history of the loco and made an assumption (which would probably have been correct for 95% of our preserved locos), so thanks for the correction and memories Martin @Martin Shaw and for the additional bit, Arun.

We're not quite on the S & D yet but getting close!

Here's 35021, New Zealand Line entering Poole on a train from Bournemouth on 8th June 1962 overtaking what I believe to be a Standard Class 4 2-6-0. 35021 had been a Bournemouth engine since June 1957 and was withdrawn at the beginning of August 1965. It was scrapped in October the same year at R S Hayes/Birds, Tremain Yard, Bridgend. (WHTS and BR Database).

View attachment 222244

This is original Battle of Britain 34061, 73 Squadron approaching Poole Station with empty stock on 8th June 1962 and passing an LMS 4F 0-6-0 - the first real sign of what's to come even though here still quite firmly in Southern territory. 34061 was allocated to Eastleigh in November 1961, moved to Exmouth Junction in November 1963 and back to Eastleigh in July 1964 where it was withdrawn in mid August the same year. It was scrapped during March 1965 at P Woods (Shipbreaking), Queenborough, Kent which information I believe came from the now defunct Rail UK. BR Database endorses this date. The Railway Observer advises it went to Settle Speakman and Co, also referred to as Woods at Queenborough in February 1965.

View attachment 222245

M7 30112 on a freight train at Poole on 8th June 1962 although I suspect the loco is actually shunting. The information about the loco here is a bit confusing as it’s shown as allocated to Guildford in April 1951 and then again in April 1962 but with no allocation between. Then it was apparently allocated to the Western Region in January 1963 and withdrawn in February. (SLS). In any event the RO advises it went to Eastleigh Works where it was cut up week ending 6th April 1963. BR Database agrees with the month of scrapping. This is such a routine, everyday shot of the time now all gone

View attachment 222246

Brian
Hi Brian,

Memories, memories - my old school, Henry Harbin Senior, in the distant background and the rear of Poole Town Football Stadium ( also Poole Speedway track ) behind 30112. I spent many a happy hour both on the station platforms and very occasionally on the footplate of this loco when it was shunting the yard ( when nobody in authority was around obviously! )

Many thanks, keep em coming.

Andrew

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
57XX pannier tank 9763 complete with shunters truck on a transfer freight at Reading on 5th June 1962. It had been a Reading loco since at least 1947 but moved to Old Oak Common at the end of August 1963 where it was clearly not wanted as it was withdrawn a month later. (SLS and BR Database). It was observed on 20th October 1963 in Swindon Works and in C Shop on 24th November 1963. (WHTS). It was scrapped in the same month. (BR Database).

View attachment 222075

Brian
I wonder what a Conflat L was doing in Reading? More usually associated with steelworks etc. (after the raft of vans LMS, LNER, LMS, BR, LNER)

Paul

Reactions: AJC

timbowales

Western Thunderer
I wonder what a Conflat L was doing in Reading? More usually associated with steelworks etc. (after the raft of vans LMS, LNER, LMS, BR, LNER)

Paul
In a recent issue of Steam World, that I no longer have, a Conflat L was pictured at Sudbrook, could it have been on its way there?