4mm Timber Tracks GWR 2-Road Engine Shed Kit Build

pete waterman

Western Thunderer
Just as point of reference if your going to laser wood then you need to find a company that has an adjustable head as the cheap machines cut to deep. The space between the bricks look like groves. You can get the effect with lasers but you need to know your guys that are doing it. I'm going to try some new stuff out in the next few weeks with our machine for the buildings we need. I will show when and if they work.

chrisb

Western Thunderer
...I'm going to try some new stuff out in the next few weeks with our machine for the buildings we need. I will show when and if they work.

Pete,

From my limited experience with laser cut building kits, the parts are either all cut from wooden materials or all cut from Rowmark (or similar). Do you need a different laser head for each type of material?

Reason I ask is that at least in the smaller scales wood doesn't seem to be the best material for thin items such as window frames or generally for parts where the grain will show inappropriately (as with the water tank on the TT coal stage).

pete waterman

Western Thunderer
Chris I think your right about wood that's what I'm working on. We use wood because the Dolls House people did it like this and wood was I would think, right for them or even the US modellers. But although I have done all my buildings so far like this I've come to the point where for me I have to look for a better way. A good laser will cut most things but you need a different laser for metal. The main point is the adjustment in the depth a good machine will etch most things you can do paper labels with out them setting fire! So it down to try a few things and see what we works. Just as a quick point we do lots of bits for our new models so we can show them at shows as the etches can take to long and we need to show the model. So there is a way.