Transfer Artwork

28ten

Guv'nor
I just though I would post a quick shot of some artwork for  a Fruit D and a couple of other specials copied from some photos

It is dead easy to do and the waterslide transfers mean there is no faffing about lining numbers up. Fonts used are British rail normal and Gil Sans standard and condensed I also have some rather nice fonts for road signs to play about with

Attachments

• grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 106

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
How do you get these printed as decals, Cynric? I mean do you use a professional person, or those decal papers as advertsied by "Crafty Computer Papers" on your home printer?
Can you get white letters printed?

Sorry for all the Q's. I'm in need of some small decals for US Diesel numberboards as in this picture:-
Soo Line SD40 ... the numbers 755 above the cab windows...  would you be able to do anything like that?  :scratch:

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Interesting stuff - what program have you used to create these?  I use CorelDraw for mine, and print my own on a laser printer where possible, fortunately I haven't needed any white lettering for the project that I've been working on.

Here's one of the tanks - all of the decals on here have been home made:
[attachimg=1]

Below are some notes about some of the things I've discovered when brewing my own:
Free font sites:
http://www.fontyukle.org/en/
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=114 ... text=58134
There are many others.

What the font:
http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Is extremely useful if you have a good image of the text you want to create, as it'll tell you the closest match. It is a commercial site, so if you want one of the ones it highlights, you'll have to pay for it. Of course, there's nothing stopping you googling the name of the font in question... ;) It has its limitations though, for example it'll only read dark text on a light background and it struggles if the letters are quite close together.

If you can't get a good image, or you're looking at something that is light on dark, you'll have to trawl the font sites looking for something similar to what you require. It's time consuming, but ultimately rewarding when you find exactly what you're looking for, or something that's near as dammit :)

In terms of company logos, it's a bit more restricted, but there are a couple of sites about that have vector images of corporate logos:
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/logo/shell
http://www.seeklogo.com/search.html?q=norsk+hydro

They're mostly North American logos, but not all. For example, the Total logo I've been using has come from the seeklogo site. These are downloaded as vector graphics, so can be opened up in your program and resized as necessary.

If you can't get the logo you need, as long as you can get a decent photo to work from, you can trace the outline and then fill in as necessary. The Railfreight Petroleum symbol was done this way, and as they're standard size, in theory I could draw the Coal or Distribution symbols from it, now I've got the proportions right. It's time consuming, and a total ballache, but it is ultimately satisfying when it looks like it's supposed to :) I've done the Caib logos in the same way.

The other source of images for use, such as the hazard diamond on the Hazchem panel, is Google images. They won't be the best quality, but if you're scaling them down to fit on a 4mm scale wagon, then no-one will notice!  In the example below, you can see that the Corrosive symbol is of much lower quality than the rest of the panel, but it won't show when reduced to model size.  If you really wanted to, you could trace these as well, I decided that life was too short!  No doubt vector versions can be purchased, but I expect these would be reasonably expensive.

[attachimg=3]

Hope that's of interest to someone.

Attachments

• IMG_1657web.jpg
    IMG_1657web.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 89
  • haz_examp.jpg
    haz_examp.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 86

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
How do you get these printed as decals, Cynric? I mean do you use a professional person, or those decal papers as advertsied by "Crafty Computer Papers" on your home printer?
Can you get white letters printed?

Sorry for all the Q's. I'm in need of some small decals for US Diesel numberboards as in this picture:-
Soo Line SD40 ... the numbers 755 above the cab windows...  would you be able to do anything like that?  :scratch:
You'd be able to do your numberboards at home on the Crafty Computer Paper stuff as it's black on white.  White printed on clear backing needs someone with an ALPS printer at the very least, it's not something you can easily do at home (there is a method, but it's time consuming and expensive).

You'd need the white decal paper, and I'd personally draw an outline of the required numberboard shape, as a guide to cutting, in your drawing program as well as the numbers.  That way the whole numberboard is just one decal.

HTH

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I've done my own numberboards before, in Windows Paint, quite large and printed  at reduced sizes, printed on plain white paper which I laminated, cut out and glued to locos!!
... trouble is the pixels size is rather crude, and although the '5's are very square, the curve on the '7' would look very crude done on Paint... not sure what other drawing programs would do with it.
Anyway I've only got an Inkjet printer and I've heard of a lot of problems with them and decal papers. :shit:

28ten

Guv'nor
Thats pretty much answered it!
You need an ALPS printer to do white on clear. if you do your own artwork its not particularly expensive (about £25) for an A4 sheet in white with a minimum order of £10 for smaller sizes. Bearing in mind some places charge £18 for a sheet of numbers for an entire class of loco or wagon when you only want one or two. plus being waterslide they are much easier to apply.
Any program like Corel, Photoshop, Illiustrator (which is what I use) will do. there is an open source choice - Inkscape http://inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en which will do the job just as well. the main thing is sourcing fonts, but again a bit of time spent searching will normally find what you want, although I have yet to find a satisfactory font for Western plates  :headbang:
Thats a good job with the Total logos  :thumbs:
Jordan those numbers would be pretty easy as you have a nice head on shot, copy the image, do a vector trace and rock n roll  8)

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
28ten said:
... Bearing in mind some places charge £18 for a sheet of numbers for an entire class of loco or wagon when you only want one or two.
Oh yes  ::) I'd forgotten about numbers for my Class 14... :headbang: :vista:

Jordan those numbers would be pretty easy as you have a nice head on shot, copy the image, do a vector trace and rock n roll  8)
What's a Vector Trace? Do I find it in the Program?
Sorry, just demonstrating my Neanderthal level of Computer Expertise, here... (at the back, as always..!! :-[ :)) :)) )

soo4513

Western Thunderer
Jordan

Did you get the numbers you need? Would the numbers on the microscale candy apple red decal sheet work? If you've not got this sheet I should have one and some O scale number boards which I can send you.

Colin

28ten

Guv'nor
Do you have a higher resolution image of the numbers? that one is a bit pixelated to trace very well

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Colin; there look to be enough 7's and 5's on that sheet to do it! you have a PM!*  :thumbs:

Cynric; I don't know if there are higher resolution images, but as per Colin's help, probably not needed anyway... ;)

*Edit: Decals supply sorted!! ;)
I honestly don't know how I managed modelling the Dark Side before the Interweb and Forum Friends.... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: