4mm TREWITHEN

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Its 1978 and fresh out of the paint shop is 25245 on the 07.50 Service departs for Bristol Temple Meads.
DSCF0137.JPG

Andy P

Western Thunderer
The 08.50 Service to Exeter Dt Davids waits for the Signal to depart on a glorious morning here in deepest Cornwall.
Just needs the Driver to switch the lights around first.
DSCF0133.JPG

Andy P

Western Thunderer
I got into trouble on "the other channel / realistic pics" for posting the one above, saying it was WRONG to have a Blue Loco with Brown and Cream coaches, and was also told the Rails had not been painted, which clearly they have. So if anyone doesn't like it, just call it a Preserved Pic from the Severn Valley Diesel Gala.

Anyway, enough of my morning gripe, here is a pic for today.
DSCF0159.JPG

Simon

Flying Squad
I'm not sure that's a very fair description of what actually happened.

I thought it was rather that Andy felt your picture was wandering away from the threads remit, ie realistic looking pictures of well modelled scenes.

Which I think for the image in question was kind of fair comment, to be honest.

And he did say he was feeling a bit grumpy when he flagged it up!

Simon

Andy P

Western Thunderer

I thought it was rather that Andy felt your picture was wandering away from the threads remit, ie realistic looking pictures of well modelled scenes.

Simon
Cheers for you comment and feedback Simon, I have to admit I felt more than a little grumpy when I read his comment, as I have seen a lot worse on there, and yes the Rails are painted so its only the Stock that was the issue.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

Simon

Simon, I have to agree. The original purpose of that particular thread was to collect together photos of models that you really had to look at closely to realise they were models, not the real thing. Those photos do exist on the thread but they do get lost amongst general layout shots.

Andy, your photo is great for your own thread but, IMO, it's a work in progress of your layout and, to my eyes at least, is instantly identifiable as a model. I think AY was correct in flagging it.

Edit: AY does regularly flag the thread purpose, on this occasion it was your photo but it's been others in the past.

I think the point AY was making about the track looking untreated can be seen when looking at this similar view of a preserved line. There's so much more colour variation and grot in the real world. The very best photos in that thread capture that well.
rps20220615_170808.jpg
Extract for illustrative purposes from here:

Last edited:

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Simon, I have to agree. The original purpose of that particular thread was to collect together photos of models that you really had to look at closely to realise they were models, not the real thing. Those photos do exist on the thread but they do get lost amongst general layout shots.

Andy, your photo is great for your own thread but, IMO, it's a work in progress of your layout and, to my eyes at least, is instantly identifiable as a model. I think AY was correct in flagging it.

Edit: AY does regularly flag the thread purpose, on this occasion it was your photo but it's been others in the past.

I think the point AY was making about the track looking untreated can be seen when looking at this similar view of a preserved line. There's so much more colour variation and grot in the real world. The very best photos in that thread capture that well.
View attachment 165234
Extract for illustrative purposes from here:
I think what you say may well be correct Chris, but I go into that thread every day, and despite some pretty dire pics I have never ever seen Andy do a "public comment" about a pic before, which is why I was more than a little Pee d off by it. A pm may have been better and I would have happily removed it without any public comment.
A.

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Great stuff, you are a commendably fast worker Andy and clearly derive a lot of pleasure from the hobby, which is what I do think it is all about at the end of the day.

However, I do wonder whether you are in danger of "cutting your own nose off to spite your face", only in the sense that you have a much bigger and more appreciative audience over on RMweb than you have, or will likely ever get, here on WT. Given the different nature of the two forums.

WT has no ambition that I am aware of to become the new RMweb.

And I do not mean that in any "unwelcoming" way, I am just commenting on the differences between two very splendid establishments.

Simon

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Great stuff, you are a commendably fast worker Andy and clearly derive a lot of pleasure from the hobby, which is what I do think it is all about at the end of the day.

However, I do wonder whether you are in danger of "cutting your own nose off to spite your face", only in the sense that you have a much bigger and more appreciative audience over on RMweb than you have, or will likely ever get, here on WT. Given the different nature of the two forums.

WT has no ambition that I am aware of to become the new RMweb.

And I do not mean that in any "unwelcoming" way, I am just commenting on the differences between two very splendid establishments.

Simon
Quite right Simon, as I replied to Chris / Pencarrow above, I look into RMW's various bits every day, and mine appeared to be an individual case of " " name and shame" at the time, hence my annoyance and frustration at the time.

You are right about the two totally different Forums, and earlier today I did start to re post again on RMW, as I had a couple of phone calls and private messages asking me to do so.

Normal Service will be resumed.:drool::thumbs:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Andy, I hope normal service means WT? Your enthusiasm, speed and so on means a lot to me and as I am not interested in the “other channel” so I hope you keep on doing your thing on WT. Some of us regulars appreciate what you do, we don’t count rivets and we enjoy life.

I am sure I am not alone in saying this! Paul