4mm TREWITHEN

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Having loitered here more than my usual one look in a day over the last couple of weeks, whilst RMW had a holiday, I was fascinated by some excellent offerings, and although I haven't posted here myself since New Mills back in September 2019 I have decided to put my new Layout Trewithen on here.

1.JPG

So, here is the story so far.
My love of the typical picture postcard bucolic Branch Line, has never gone to far from my mind.
It was kick started again on the visit to the Basingstoke Exhibition a few weeks ago. Now many will be screaming "DON'T GO TO SHOWS", as this is what happens. New ideas come flooding in.
The two highlights at the show for me were Bodmin General, in N Gauge, and Pine Road in OO.

I guess another reason I'm always drawn back to Cornwall is that fact that my Parents met there in the little Hamlet of Chapel Amble towards the end of the War. They were later married in St Kew Church and so even though Dad and I were both born the other side of the Tamar, Cornwall still has the biggest pull. (Maybe I was made in Cornwall, I'll never know). I also had a bit of a rum ancestor deported from Bodmin Goal, and is mentioned as being in Ned Kellys Gang.

And so this is the story of Trewithen, a typical Cornish GWR (Great Western Railway) BLT.

Like a previous BR/WR BLT of mine, Pencarne, Trewithen is set around the Bodmin area, with the main GWR Route going to Bodmin and beyond, whilst the other Route takes the line to Boscarne, Wenfordbridge, Wadebridge and the Withered arm of the LSWR, (London and South Western Railway). The Track plan is almost a copy of Bodmin General.

As a point of interest, if you Google Trewithen you will get, Trewithen Dairies, Tea Rooms and Guest House, all three are many miles apart from each other, and as far as I can find out have no connection other than in the name.

I also chose this name because it doesn't have a Village as far as I can see, but when I worked for Arla Foods, (think Cravendale Milk and Anchor Butter) we used to collect from Trewithen Dairies, on Bodmin Moor, hence another connection for me.

The area is 11ft x 7ft, and also think Mac Pyke's Berrow Branch, or the late John Flann's Hintock.

TRACK PLAN    TREWITHEN.png

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Looking good Andy, the backscene looks Bob on on the last set of photos.
you’ll be ballasting soon!
Cheers
Ade

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Looking good Andy, the backscene looks Bob on on the last set of photos.
you’ll be ballasting soon!
Cheers
Ade
Cheers mate, I need to finish the wiring, and then a Month or so of testing, converting a lot to Kadee's and ensuring it all works on the magnets, and also the Locos creep over all the Points and Joints without hesitation, or rocking.

Thanks for the compliment on the Backscene.:thumbs: Appreciated.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Andy, Have you not looked at using bullhead track or was it that you found some turnouts were not readily available. It's not as easy to work with as Peco Streamline Code 75 or 100, but once I started taking photos on the layout I knew there was really no substitute.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Andy, Have you not looked at using bullhead track or was it that you found some turnouts were not readily available. It's not as easy to work with as Peco Streamline Code 75 or 100, but once I started taking photos on the layout I knew there was really no substitute.
Totally agree about the Bull Head Larry, I tried it when it first came out and looked so much better than Code 75, but I have about 50 yards of 75 and some 30 plus points so I decided to use it, But looking at the pics after your comment has got me thinking, that I might replace the flexie and just keep the Points as they are laid and wired.
Thanks for looking and and your input. :thumbs:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
I'll be continuing with your build on here Andy being my preferred 1st choice for postings.
I'll have to review your video to confirm how to say Trewithen.
So Far I've said; TRE -- WITH -- EN or TREW -- IT -- HEN. I think I need to learn Amshire speak.

Looking good, marked it as one to watch.

Best

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy, I see you are using circular magnets for the kaydee couplings. What diameter / strength are they please?
Good question Chris, I'll have a look when I go out soon.
They came from my days in the Motor Trade, when we had name badges, these had a magnetic back, and a Bar with two magnets on that you put inside your shirt or jacket.
Give me ten minutes and I'll be back.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
O.K. I'm back, and here are some pics and measurements, I managed to break the magnets off the Bar.

I also have some oblong ones that came from, I think it was Magnets 4U.

IMG_7781.JPG

IMG_7780.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG

IMG_7783.JPG

I hope that's of some help Chris.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I see your Stanley measuring tape was made in France. I have a small one I bought in 1992 with both feet and metric scales, still going strong!

Edit to add: It spent 6 weeks in Tunisia during field work and has been used in training sessions in various African locations since then. Looking at the various offerings on the net these days I feel sure none of them would pass muster. All the measuring on the framework for Moor Street was done with this product. What more can I say?

Last edited: