4mm TREWITHEN

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Are you selling The layout Andy?
Hi Alan, Yes I am, I have it in the small adds on here. Its not floating my boat enough I'm afraid.

[Edit : Apologies currently not visible as I've PM'd Andy suggesting RMWeb market place or eqivalent to more suitable for the layout rather than our "Small Ads".]

Last edited by a moderator:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Andy,

An observation if I may, I know you're working on another layout already but Trewithan, nice as it is clearly didn't deliver what was expected of it.

Would it not be better to sit back and really give sone consideration to what truly floats your boat ?

A keeper, as it were. I suspect, though happy to be corrected, that Budoc Bridge may end up going the same way as Trewithan.

If building layouts to sell is the end game, fine. But is it ?

I now realise that rushing into a build doesn't work for me. I've come close to starting a few projects, only to realise it really doesn't feel right and I've changed tack.

If I had a choice then a larger 1950s ex- L&SWR , West of England ( mouthful !) layout would be where I would head off to. Bulleids, King Arthurs etc, etc...

So, what's yours and why not build it ?

Rob.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Class 25, No 25245 heads the 08-05 arrival from Plymouth.
This Train will form the 08-32 Service to Padstow.DSCF0130.JPG

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Morning Andy,

An observation if I may, I know you're working on another layout already but Trewithan, nice as it is clearly didn't deliver what was expected of it.

Would it not be better to sit back and really give sone consideration to what truly floats your boat ?

A keeper, as it were. I suspect, though happy to be corrected, that Budoc Bridge may end up going the same way as Trewithan.

If building layouts to sell is the end game, fine. But is it ?

I now realise that rushing into a build doesn't work for me. I've come close to starting a few projects, only to realise it really doesn't feel right and I've changed tack.

If I had a choice then a larger 1950s ex- L&SWR , West of England ( mouthful !) layout would be where I would head off to. Bulleids, King Arthurs etc, etc...

So, what's yours and why not build it ?

Rob.
Hi Rob, And cheers for your valuable input.

I have built a few Layouts as you know, and all end up being sold on, so I guess the answer to the question, what floats my boat is design and building.

Budoc Bridge IS being built with the intention of selling on, and that's why its small, and built to be easily transportable for home or Exhibition.

When I first started Trewithen, I did say to friends that it was being built to sell,, but I was thinking a year or two at that time.

One of my favourite Layouts was back in 2008, (you probably cant remember that far back,):p and that was the original Kingsmill, that went into Model Rail in 2008 and Railway Modeller in 2009. It was very badly built, on chipboard, with welding rods through the sides of the boards to operate the Points, but it was a period I was watching at the time, so easy for inspiration.
Kingsmill 1022.JPG

As I've stated on RMW in a reply to DonW, I love the bucolic branch line look, feel and the possibilities for scenic work, but as I don't remember Steam, and as the models I have would make it difficult for sound fitting, (yes I know it can be done, but with small speakers and little room in most for Stay Alives) my preference is for Diesel Traction.

I do admire modellers who can focus on a project long term, but unfortunately that's not for me. As an example of my butterfly nature, back in the 70's (1970's NOT 1870's) when I was riding in Moto Cross and Trials, I would change my Bikes a couple of times in a season, and therefore never really settle in and understand the steed I was competing on, so never had any great results. BUT, and its a BIG BUT, I don't regret the changes, and enjoyed the challenges.

The Stock I have left over from Bute Road, (do you remember that, it seems a long time ago now to me) and the stock I have for Budoc Bridge will be my Stock for the next exciting chapter in my long and mostly enjoyable days of Railway Modelling.

And as for Bulleids and King Athurs.
DSC02828.JPG

Here's to then ext exciting chapter and project.:thumbs:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy,

I must admit, I expected you to say that !

I think I'm more of a builder than an operator. Sheep Dip is perhaps proof of that as it looks okay, enjoyed building it but it is a bit of an awkward sod ( not in a nice way either) to play with.

I'm planing the next build but I've made a conscious decision not to set a deadline and in theory not therefore have to rush the build. Not L&SWR though. Still a bit far away from that as of yet.

Nice Arthurs by the way.

Rob.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
This morning I made a start on the Cattle Dock, that Nick, @Nick Rogers built for me, with the troughs fitted and painted last night, it was time today to make a start to bed the base in and finish that corner.
Ballast was added to the Tracks, Gravel added to the area around the back of the CD and finally an embankment made to come down from the wall, and covered on Shrubbery.
Once again, waiting for the PVA to dry, so more pics tomorrow I expect.
IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
It's a pity you're selling the layout on so quickly after Nick spent all that time making the buildings for you. You'll not be getting any joy from them. Would it be worth keeping the buildings and using them on the next WR layout you build?

Good point Chris.

It's not often that you get a bespoke finish like that.

Surely worth doing Andy ?

You're bound to be doing another WR steam layout.

Rob.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
It's a pity you're selling the layout on so quickly after Nick spent all that time making the buildings for you. You'll not be getting any joy from them. Would it be worth keeping the buildings and using them on the next WR layout you build?
Good point Chris.

It's not often that you get a bespoke finish like that.

Surely worth doing Andy ?

You're bound to be doing another WR steam layout.

Rob.
Cheers Guys, I did offer them to Nick FOC before he sent them back, as I did / do feel a little guilt, but he was more than o.k. with things as they are, and having built, Pencarne Junction, Pencarne, Porth Merryn, Trebudoc, Bala Town, and a couple more that failed before the first blade of grass, I think, I have FAILED enough with WR / BR.
Thanks for the thoughts and nice ideas Guys.