Photo Two Tunnels Greenway

Simon

Flying Squad
Saturday 6th April was a momentous day for Bath, the re-opening of both Devonshire and Combe Down tunnels as part of the new Sustrans "Greenway" cycling route along the S&D from Bath to Midford.

I have not always been a fan of Sustrans, but even if they never did another good thing what they have achieved with this project has made their existence more than worthwhile. It is a fantastic achievement and a huge asset for Bath, even if the city itself doesn't quite (yet) realise it.

There was an opening "do" on the hillside below Devonshire tunnel, and I got myself a pitch there as a "local railway enthusiast" to celebrate the event. Other railway related stalls were both the Midsomer Norton and Washford S&D Trusts, together with an absolutely brilliant display put on by surviving S&D Enginemen.

Unfortunately it clashed with Bryan Chalker's "Heritage Day" at Twerton Park, but ever resourceful(!) and with the cheerful co-operation of my family, Lesley and Charlie manned the shop and Harry took on the "local enthusiasts stand" for the morning while I attended Bryan's event, returning to the Two Tunnels event with Bryan's agreement at lunchtime.

Setting up early in the morning, Harry puts my bike back together ready for later on.

Twotun1.jpg

Returning from Twerton at lunchtime, this was the queue waiting to go through the tunnels, the path they are on leads to the trackbed running at right angles to the queue from left (Devonshire Tunnel) to right (Bath bank).

Twotun2.jpg

Harry mans the stand later in the day, the fire bucket is an original BR example from Green Park goods shed.

Twotun3.jpg

Lots of people dropped by to chat and giggle at the photographs in my "S&D scrapbook", Jerry Clifford "Queensquare" spent some time with us in the afternoon, which was extremely pleasant.

Twotun4.jpg

The wagon plate is from the last ever wagon to exist in the Midland yard, it was a BR 12T box van, left there for some reason after the track was lifted and cut up on site circa 1972.

The natty windbreak was Harry's idea and made our little corner very comfortable in the sunshine:)

Simon

Flying Squad
A little later in the day, while Alan Dorrington manned the stand, Harry and I took to the tunnels.

Approaching Devonshire Tunnel

Twotun5.jpg

And Combe Down Tunnel

Twotun6.jpg

Returning from Midford, the "Long Arch"

Twotun9.jpg

Approaching Combe Down Tunnel

Twotun7.jpg

And Devonshire Tunnel

Twotun8.jpg

Absolutely Fantastic - highly recommended, and probably the best thing to happen in Bath since the railway was first opened in 1874.

Simon

Flying Squad
Finally, a bit of personal indulgence.

All cleared up and ready to go.

Twotun10.jpg

And safely back at home it's a momentous day for L367 PFM too:p

Twotun11.jpg

Another really grand day out!

Highly recommended by Harry and I, hopefully others will post photographs and thoughts about it on this thread. I have a few "related" pictures that might amuse, I will probably post them here some other time.

Simon

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Great stuff Simon :):thumbs:

I share your reservations about Sustrans, but they are to be congratulated on such an achievement:bowdown:

I walked as much as was possible at the time in the late 1980's having read Christopher Somerville's account in 'Walking Old Railways', but I will make the trip again now that we don't have to fight our way through three foot high brambles :eek::D

So is the line now totally clear from the outskirts of Bath as far as Midford?

Phill :)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Wonderful photos, great feeling of the approach to the tunnels. Why the "entrances" inside the tunnel mouths?

regards, Graham

Simon

Flying Squad
So is the line now totally clear from the outskirts of Bath as far as Midford?

Yes - it's just amazing!

Harry and I are keen to get back down there, it opens up a great "circular" route using the Canal towpath too:thumbs:

Simon

Flying Squad
Wonderful photos, great feeling of the approach to the tunnels. Why the "entrances" inside the tunnel mouths?

regards, Graham

I don't know, they will be left open 24/7 as far as I understand it and the lights will go off at night:thumbs:

I think I am right in saying that Sustrans now actually own the tunnels, so the ability to close them off may relate to that, permissive rights of way etc.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Simon, do I detect the possibility of a new venture... "Titfield Tours"?

It's funny you should say that as we are just waiting for Alan Dorrington to arrive.

We are off in his old military land rover to time out our "Reg and Colin's Great Railway Adventure" scheduled for June the 6th in his Bedford OB.

Tally Ho!

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I think I am right in saying that Sustrans now actually own the tunnels, so the ability to close them off may relate to that, permissive rights of way etc.
Many GWR "station entrances" were closed off on one day of each year to maintain the GWR right to admit / refuse admission to the property. Although I have not seen any official paperwork on this subject the day seemed to be whenever there was no public service to/from the station - Good Friday seemed to be a common choice.

regards, Graham

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting the pictures Simon it was indeed a grand day out, helped enormously but the warm spring sunshine ( and the strategically placed wind break!).
I have to agree it is a fantastic asset for Bath. I'm sure we would all have preferred to see the railway return but, short of that, the old line is a transport link once again after almost fifty years. It was a shame I had to dash off around fourish but I did dive quickly into Devonshire tunnel just to say I'd been there on the opening day.
I'll be back soon with the dogs and camera.

Jerry

Neil

Western Thunderer
What a splendid young man Harry's turning out to be. It takes some bottle to man a stand solo at his young age, I wouldn't have had the nerve when I was still at school.

queensquare

Western Thunderer
What a splendid young man Harry's turning out to be. It takes some bottle to man a stand solo at his young age, I wouldn't have had the nerve when I was still at school.

He's also very good company with a quick, and entertaining, whit that keeps his dad in line:thumbs:

Jerry

Osgood

Western Thunderer
200,000! How many LR gearboxes would that be then? :D:D

In the mid 70s we would occasionally walk the trackbed through those tunnel(s) - from what I can recall at that time the route was fairly clear but I don't think we ever met another soul, it was such a peaceful area.

Happy memories.
Tony

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
A wonderful acheivement after such a long time. I will be making the trip to Bath specifically to cycle the route later in the year.
Many thanks for the photos,
Dave.T

Simon

Flying Squad
As far as I'm aware it's 1, I bought it at 154000 miles and the seller (Andy at Landrovers UK) reckoned the box was too smooth to be original. It's working just fine at the moment, touch wood.

I've had the vehicle for 5 years now and it has behaved impeccably, apart from the soggy carpets and water feature sunroof:))

Simon

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I am envious really Simon - despite long winter drives in a SWB Series 2 between Bath and Norfolk with the central heater unable to compete with the 1" gap under the driver's door! A truly iconic vehicle!

I can't remember much about our railway walks 'back then' - would we have been able to get through both tunnels or was one blocked? This is one route we'll be sure to cycle, maybe next year.

The K&A canal 'back then' was derelict but still full of water between town and around towards Dundas, a most atmospheric walk - in a selfish way I was almost sad to see it restored, it was so peaceful. And if I'd been more tuned in to the S&D I'd have got no studying done at all......

Tony