Untarnished reputations

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'm currently working through a 2251 0-6-0 build. The client wants the finished model in "museum quality", and with the various GWR appurtenances polished. Leaving aside the original loco probably never had a shiny anything, let alone appurtenances, I spent a happy half hour with fine files, sanding sticks and polishing wheels going over the safety valve bonnet and chimney cap.

image.jpeg

I ended up with these, and I'm quite pleased with the finish, if I do say so myself. The chimney is actually bronze, but polishes up to a nice coppery colour.

These objects will probably be the last things fitted to the model, and I expect they will take on a dullness before that happens. The question is, then, what is the best method of lacquering or varnishing the shiny things so they will not tarnish over time?

Western Thunderer
Maybe a bit late to answer but I'd try a 2 pack lacquer on those - if you've got a manly enough airbrush for that kind of stuff (its meant really for automotive use)Its not the thinnest in consistency but its really really tough and will therefore withstand being flattened doown and wet polished - so just right for a fully buffed up museumey (is that a word?) style model.

Jon

Giles

Western Thunderer
The traditional stuff is ercaline lacquer, which is especially suited to brass and copper. If I recall, it brushes on quite nicely (but that was also in the days before I even new about air-brushes!)