7mm US model dabblings

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Jordan, I'm curious which gp38 you're going to model. If say one of the ex-MILW bandits like your gp40, like this one, will you do the short fuel tank? And would a tank drive present a problem in that case?
No, one of the original order for 10 GP38-2s that Soo Line placed, albeit when they were renumbered later on. As posted a couple of pages back :-
SOO 4405-3 (3).jpg

The fuel tank is an interesting question though, as I'd quite forgotten that I made a longer tank for my GP40, as I couldn't decide if the Weaver tank was too short, based on various photos. So I may well have to do the same again this time around. I agree the gap between tank & truck on the 4512 is rather excessive for the Weaver drive.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
I picked up a batch of nice little Canon double-end motors that Jordan told us about and powering both trucks with towers eliminates the visible drive shafts. Just need to see how easily it fits in the low-hood end.

Jason

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Nothing special to update, other than a couple of RTR models delivered today, both 2 rail and both (even including income tax and shipping) cheap as chips.

The GP60 is a nice model for RTR, there are the usual issues with Atlas models, over width truck frames, psuedo fuel tanks plus lack of chassis rails and battle ship plate work for the cab and corresponding glazing that would be better suited in a panzer tank periscope! All of which is fixable with a modicum of effort.

Not sure where this one will go, may keep it as a pure SP unit or pimp it out to a tired and patched UP unit. I did manage to get up close and personal with one in Florida back in 2013 so have enough detailed information to trick it out.

Quite why a UP GP60 was on the CSX Autorack ramp in Taft for three weeks is beyond me. Possibly because CSX doesn't actually own any production GP60's it's self, it has the three demo units with rounded cab/noses, but these work locals out of Winston just down the road. I suspect the extra 700 hp was handy for some of the longer cuts of cars and if CSX used it's own power would probably end up with paired GP40-2/GP38-2's.

IMG_9946.jpg

IMG_9945.jpg

IMG_9943.jpg

UP 1949 was ex Cotton Belt SSW 9692. Taft FL 2013

UP 1949.jpg

The second model was another Atlas Trainman Dash 8 -40CW. The trainman range is a lower spec and it shows in certain areas, the model is good for your TOFC hotshot blatting around the garden railway, not so good for your indoor switching or depot layout.

Nice to see that Atlas have at least tried to get the major differences right between railroads, something MTH didn't manage to do with it's ES44AC model, well, not the one I have, I believe there are some variants in the shell work but they try to cover too many real railroad variants.

The usual American RTR issues abound, again, like the GP60 all fixable to a lessor degree. The truck frames are really not worth any effort, far easier to develop some 3D replacements and move them inboard. Same with the fuel tank and lack of chassis rails.

Fortunately the cab appears to be separable, hence the correct gull wing profile for the ATSF model, it also means I should be able to tweak the GEVO cab etches I have to replace the whole cab section; both on this ATSF model and my previous UP model.

Handrails and ditch lights are other areas on both models that could do with tweaking, I'm at the point now where I have enough models to perhaps consider getting a production run up for cast brass replacements, something I'll ponder on in due course.

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9950.jpg

Not sure that quarter light window is quite right.

IMG_9955.jpg

Whilst this is a much later and bigger AC44 (UP C45CTTE basically an AC44 with updated traction control giving an....on paper....extra 100 Hp) the cab (what I call Mk I) is fundamentally the same. There are differences in number boards, front doors and steps etc but the basic shape and windows remained constant throughout the Mk I range.

UP 5386 Mojave 2019.

IMG_4684.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Quite why a UP GP60 was on the CSX Autorack ramp in Taft for three weeks is beyond me. Possibly because CSX doesn't actually own any production GP60's it's self, it has the three demo units with rounded cab/noses, but these work locals out of Winston just down the road. I suspect the extra 700 hp was handy for some of the longer cuts of cars and if CSX used it's own power would probably end up with paired GP40-2/GP38-2's.

Could have been hiring under 'power by the hour'. Just need to leave the GP60 model in SP speed lettering (okay) or re-letter as SSW (desirable) ;).

JasonD

Western Thunderer
I couldn't resist an Atlas CSX Dash 8-40C from Norms O-scale , if only to MU with an unpowered (only replacement 2-rail wheels so far) MTH SD70. But why did MTH OK the dreadful 'Saturno' hat handrail stanchion profile, rather than the prototype 'squared shallow U'? Once you've seen them....

Jason

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Could have been hiring under 'power by the hour'. Just need to leave the GP60 model in SP speed lettering (okay) or re-letter as SSW (desirable) ;).
More than likely.

It's D&RGW speed lettering though, doesn't really suit GP60's, more appropriate for tunnel motors, SSW....probably not :D

Looking around the model it's the gold edition thus more detailed, which explains some of the nicer touches, it's also DC /DCC and quantum sound but not all of it works.

Sound comes on with DC but it barely moves, more as likely my near 50 yr old H&M doesn't have enough grunt. In DCC nothing happens, diddly squat, I use a Roco multimaus and I know it works as the Dash 8 I have works fine. Checked all the usual places for switches, there's holes but no switches as such (worryingly), I suppose I'll have to open it up but it all looks factory fresh, not a mark on it or on any of the body screws.

Both the Maus and Atlas DCC are NMRA compatible so by rights it should work.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I couldn't resist an Atlas CSX Dash 8-40C from Norms O-scale , if only to MU with an unpowered (only replacement 2-rail wheels so far) MTH SD70. But why did MTH OK the dreadful 'Saturno' hat handrail stanchion profile, rather than the prototype 'squared shallow U'? Once you've seen them....

Jason
What language is this you are speaking, Jason?;)

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer

Jason
C or CW? Didn't know Atlas did the older C version in O gauge.

Anyway, where are the pictures.......you know the rules ;):))

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Looking around the model it's the gold edition thus more detailed, which explains some of the nicer touches, it's also DC /DCC and quantum sound but not all of it works.

Sound comes on with DC but it barely moves, more as likely my near 50 yr old H&M doesn't have enough grunt. In DCC nothing happens, diddly squat, I use a Roco multimaus and I know it works as the Dash 8 I have works fine. Checked all the usual places for switches, there's holes but no switches as such (worryingly), I suppose I'll have to open it up but it all looks factory fresh, not a mark on it or on any of the body screws.

Both the Maus and Atlas DCC are NMRA compatible so by rights it should work.

Ah, if it's QSI Quantum sound then you'll probably have to go through the start up sequence. Check the sound is not muted (F8). When stopped it goes into neutral (idle/tickover engine) mode and you have to open the throttle to engage the drive sounds. Manual is here.

I had the same issue with an Atlas HO Gold series Dash 8-40B.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ah, if it's QSI Quantum sound then you'll probably have to go through the start up sequence. Check the sound is not muted (F8). When stopped it goes into neutral (idle/tickover engine) mode and you have to open the throttle to engage the drive sounds. Manual is here.

I had the same issue with an Atlas HO Gold series Dash 8-40B.
Cheers, already tried that I'm afraid, even without sound it should still move? Or not as the case currently is.

The manual keeps asking for double tapping F6 and F9 but that function does not seem possible on the maus, or there's no indication it has done that.

Nor do I seem to be able to trigger sounds above 10, I do feel I may be doing something fundamentally wrong somewhere.

I'll try again later.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
To go above F10 on the Multimaus use have to use the shift key.

If it's not moving on address 3 then the previous owner might have changed it to something else. Have you tried the running number 9723 or even 23 or 97 as the address?

Is there a note in the box or any indication on any documents it might have been changed?

If not does anyone close by have a Sprog programmer who could read the loco decoder for you?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
To go above F10 on the Multimaus use have to use the shift key.

If it's not moving on address 3 then the previous owner might have changed it to something else. Have you tried the running number 9723 or even 23 or 97 as the address?

Is there a note in the box or any indication on any documents it might have been changed?

If not does anyone close by have a Sprog programmer who could read the loco decoder for you?
I have a Sprog II and as yet it don't ^&*%&$£ work, talk about shitty software written by people who assume y'all know what your doing!

None of the drivers on the CD work so I've updated as and where, here and there according to Sprog.

The original JMRI software (2.2) will not find the com port assigned by the PC.

Loading newer software 4.22 does allow the com port to be found and set in preferences but then will not detect the loco....it does try and look for it...., not even the one you programmed on the Dash 8 a few years back.

Suspect it's a clash between old hardware and new software and I'll end up forking out for a new set up.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
My Sprog II packed up and in the end I forked out for Sprog III (£70). The latter was easier to set up as it's virtually plug and play, and it has a 2.5 amp booster current output rather than 1 amp with Sprog II.

I do know QSI Quantum chipped locos were notoriously difficult read as they required a bit more power than an ESU or Zimo decoder.

I'm surprised the Dash 8 is not picked up, as I recall it has an ESU decoder.