7mm US model dabblings

- Bryn

Milwaukee Road orange is a tricky one to match.

My personal mix is using Tamiya acrylic paints (which can be sprayed with own brand lacquer thinner) is 120 parts X6 Orange to 1 part XF10 brown.

20200807_160238.jpg20200828_204951.jpg20200828_204838.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Nice, definitely a Dash 8 from Atlas, 2R too, you don't see many of these crop up, those that do tend to be 2R and on reflection I don't think I've ever seen a 3R one for sale.

I haven't gone over the model in fine detail, there's bound to be the odd panel or vent wrong or something, but the longish look I have had I haven't found much wrong with it. They're not the best RTR renditions of GE wide cabs, but for their price they're good value for money and can be detailed out around the trucks, tanks and under frame if you wanted to.

I've got two myself, both 2R, no idea if they are DCC or sound, suppose I should look at the box really :)) I'd ideally like to find a CSX YN2 and detail it up like the really tatty ones I saw in Taft FL way back in 2013/15, I did get some nice detailed walk around shots to, I mean they just leave them unattended right next to the parking lot, it'd be poor form not too.

UP only had a small run of Dash 8's as I recall, probably their smallest GEVO (well they're not GEVO's yet, more like infant GEVO's) class, most Dash 8's were the older square nosed cab. ATSF had a few more, not sure of exact numbers right now, easy to look up.

IMG_8933.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

I'm always looking for more of these as I think they're good value for money myself.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Milwaukee Road orange is a tricky one to match.

My personal mix is using Tamiya acrylic paints (which can be sprayed with own brand lacquer thinner) is 120 parts X6 Orange to 1 part XF10 brown.

View attachment 155295View attachment 155296View attachment 155297
Have you tried Tru-Color paint? They make the MILW colours and now seem to have a UK distributor - Mech Models in Burton on Trent. I haven’t seen or used Tru-Color paint but the reviews are good so probably worth @mickoo chasing some up.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
OK Richard, I'll risk it ... Atlas. Please say Yes. Then I can prattle on about my CSX version which is ... er, what O-scale RTR can be all about!

Jason

mickoo

Western Thunderer
OK Richard, I'll risk it ... Atlas. Please say Yes. Then I can prattle on about my CSX version which is ... er, what O-scale RTR can be all about!

Jason
It is Atlas, they're the only ones I know of that do RTR Dash CW's

You can only prattle......if you show pictures :)):thumbs:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Have just looked through the TruColor listing on the Mech Models website. Very extensive range (usual disclaimers except I'm not a customer - yet).
MILW Orange is TCP-111:thumbs:

No Frisco Orange though.Drat!:(

I was thinking of calling in for a browse before the SSMRS AGM in Burton on March 5th (Shameless plug!) but Mech Models aren't open on Saturdays.
Double Drat!!:(:(

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Actually, to dig myself even deeper into the black hole labelled 'no 1980ish D&H stuff in here', I did buy one at a Chicago Meet a few years back and picked this one up on our Fb group a few weeks back. It has a decoder fitted, so I must learn which end of a soldering iron to hold and fit the old one with one and make the local club members wish they gone American too. 2 long - 1 short - 1 long, aaaahh!

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Richard,

The Amtrak train is the Lake Shore Limited rather than the Capitol Limited. They run on very similar schedules westbound, with both trains coming through Toledo within a half hour of each other (if on time). The giveaway is the single level cars, at some point on the way to/from Boston or New York (the train splits in Albany, NY), there are clearance issues which preclude the use of the double height Superliner cars. Conversely, the Cap Limited faces no such issues, so utilizes the Superliner cars for its consist.

The train blocking the main road is on the lead into the east end of the classification yard. The three tracks to the right are the run-through main tracks to Chicago, the two left hand tracks head to the yard. While it isn't uncommon here in the States for trains to block grade crossings for seemingly infinite amounts of time, I don't think I've ever seen one sit that long in that position.

I have seen run-through trains block the grade crossing by the station when they stop further west at the fuel pad or to change crews. Train lengths in the US have grown quite a bit in the past 5 years or so, so that it's not uncommon for trains to exceed two miles in length. Of course those run-through trains don't hang around for very long. But a particularly long train heading into the yard may have the front half fully in a receiving track while the tail end extends back to the station. It would take some time for a crew to break the train in half and move the back end out of the way.

As to the museum, I think your assessment of the state of equipment is pretty accurate. To be fair, the museum is a small affair, with limited facilities, a limited roster, and undoubtedly a limited budget. There isn't any facility on site for repair or restoration of stock, and I've never heard of efforts or desire to undertake such work on any pieces in the collection. It's a far cry from something like the Illinois Railway Museum northwest of Chicago.

P48 for your new loco, I think you have two options. Contact Northwest Short Line and ask if they have a compatible set of geared wheelsets, or contact Jay at Right-O-Way about making a set of geared wheelsets from his wheels and axles combined with your Atlas axle gears. I know that NWSL makes a set of wheels for the Atlas 4 axle locos, and I know they offer wheelsets for some of the other Atlas 6 axle locos. I just don't know if axle spacing and gear specifications are similar enough between those other locos and your dash 8 as to be interchangeable. The R-O-W option would typically entail you sending your wheelsets to Jay, but he may have other options. If you had the tools and the inclination, you could just order the wheels from Jay and do the conversion yourself. It would most likely involve turning new bushings or sleeves to get the wheel bore, gear bore, and axle diameter to all match up.

Jim

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Actually I think MTH did the dash 8 as well, but there's no question I would be after the Atlas rather than the MTH if I was in the market for one.
Now that you mention it I think they may, it'll be from their earlier tooling with moulded handrails etc so pretty dire, I've got an inkling someone may have done a shorty one too, maybe MTH in their 30- Railking range?

Time for a browse ;)

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I’ve now seen Richards UP diesel in person, and it’s fantastic, I’m sure it could be picked apart if you knew the prototype l, but for an off the shelf model it really is brilliant! Looking forward to seeing it running in P48.

JB.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Thanks James for all the info on the trains, Elkhart and the Dash 8

Carrying out the conversion is a project for the future, not something I will be hurrying into, it will look almost as good in the display case until then.

The Red Caboose GP is proving quite a challenge to track down all the parts needed to build it.

I'm hoping to get to the Chicago O gauge March meet this year and see what I can find.

Richard

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Richard: what GP9 parts? Just in case I've got them.

Atlas/Roco F9 whole locos and parts: NMRABR Stokenchurch Sun Jan 30

P48: 33" / 36" wheels and wheelsets, bolster beams for Athearn trucks, Sunset SP 2-8-2

ex-CSX Dash-8 going to Pan Am at Rigby Yard. Hmmmm... where's that weathering set?
1642760051165.png

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Jason

It is all the chassis parts, I did get a milled brass chassis at Des Plaines hobbies but I need the trucks and motor.
There are a few detailing parts too, that I would like as I want mine to be a Southern Pacific one, but I did come across this one in August 2019 in Mcminville, about 25 miles south of Portland Oregon

gp9Z71_3617.jpg

gp9Z71_3607.jpg

gp9Z71_3612.jpg

Painting that might be a bit of a challenge though.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Sunset SP 2-8-2?

Got any images, might be interested in that?

Still waiting for info on those Atlas 2R six pack wheels mate :thumbs:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Richard, that's the SP black widow scheme, I think you can get decals for the nose stripes.

At some point it must have been repainted back from lark grey and it doesn't look like a GRIP or E variant so went off SP books early.

The RC model will need different roof fans to make this one, there are three basic fan set ups on GP9's, from front to rear (middle is always the dynamic one).

Phase I (36"-36")--36"--(36"-36")
Phase II (36"-36")--48"--(36"-36")
Phase III (48")--48"--(48")

I've an inkling there may be a Phase IIa (48")--48"--(36"-36") but I'd need to check as it may be Railroad specific and a local shop application.

The RC model is a Phase II, the engine above is a Phase III, but....has Phase II door grills. I've an inkling there may be a Phase IIa (48")--48"--(36"-36")

If you have a particular engine in mind I've probably got photos of it off the web over the years...I have collected rather a lot of GP9's...

You can just about do a chopped nose SP unit with the RC body shell, there was a small factory batch of Phase II engines where doors and grills matched but had a chopped nose, they also have a landscape windscreen and Phase III fan arrangement, those would be the only changes needed. Other chopped nose engines had different door grill arrangements and the chopped nose is more synonymous with the later GP20 program.

Fuel tanks, SP opted for the full width tank, other Railroads opted for smaller ones sometimes, UP had some smaller tanks, as did DRGW.

If you're seriously into SP GP9's then I recommend the following book for references.

=Southern Pacific Historic Diesels Volume 7: EMD GP9s by Joseph A. Strapac: New softcover (2000) | Arizona Hobbies LLC

Beware, some folks will try and sell it for £50-100 and play on the Strathpac name and out of print hard to get trumpet, load of bollox, shop around and you can get an excellent second hand for £20-30, this one listed above says new at $30 so that's remarkably good value.

One of the more rarer ones is Volume 2 the hydraulics, they go for silly prices, took me years to find a good copy at a decent price.

Diesel Era also did a run on GP9's in general, covered about 20+ magazines over the years, SP I think covered 3-4 magazines if you include SSW variants, UP covered 5-6 magazines, I'd have to dig them all out to be sure and which editions you'd need.

JB - There'll be one for DRGW as well, though I haven't moved that to the special interest shelf. so it'd take some time to dig the details out.

Last edited:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
JB

I have found those on PD Hobbies website, in stock but $35 a pack, I'll be ordering some at some point to be sent to the office for me to collect.
They also have some really nice truck sides cast in brass at $145 for 4, it's starting to get expensive!

Richard