Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Well now that the W1 project is complete ......................... B1 next

Bob

Absolutely:thumbs:

Just remember where this all started

How long ago?

That's true, but remember that the original concept predates Finney7. If one can stand back from the stresses of doing a really big loco as a first project, we have learned so much about the whole process. Not only how to do it - the best way to prepare patterns, producing patterns, use of modern technology, developing relationships with suppliers, use of materials - but also how we work as a team. Everything has been sorted on the first project, and I think we have a fabulous kit at the end of it as well. Everything is much easier from here.

Richard

Silverystreaks

Western Thunderer
Anyone who has ever built a Martin Finney kit and I include myself in that club will clearly see via this thread that the new Finney 7 W1 is a real step up on what has gone before..

Improving on the MF concept is no mean feat but looking closely at the chassis detail on the W1 the Finney 7 team have to be congratulated on what has been achieved here. It all bodes well for the forthcoming projects
Bob

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
There's a couple of reasons for the long gestation period on the W1 that won't be present on the B1.

First, the original concept was a sponsorship project between six people who all knew that the basic kit was a good aid to scratch building, at that time it was based around either a DJH shell or modified Finney A4 shell if you could get one or more likely the Hachett artworks shell. About 75% of the work was designed around that core point.

Second, having nearly got there the option of acquiring the Martin Finney range became a reality and we could use a modified A4 shell, so redesign one came into force, again limited to the six sponsors.

Third, during the above process and with agreement from the sponsors it was decided to make it a commercial venture. At that point virtually all of the work had to be scrapped and a new start made. Designing artwork for commercial sale is a whole new level compared to six sets of etches made for your mates. That knocked the project back nearly a year.

Fourth, whilst redesigning for commercial sale the priority was not the W1, it was the regeneration and stocking for sale the existing range, therefore any development would have to slot in with that mandate. Luckily working through the LNER range allowed parts like castings to be developed and streamlined into that process. I also lost several months test building the tenders and helping work up the new instructions.

So, taking all that on board with the B1, it's a green field commercial product, we have established CAD and casting paths of production, we have an established core for instructions, most of the Finney7 range will be out and up and running.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Moving on, exhaust steam injector, quite a big casting made up from four sub parts.

IMG_0651WT.jpg

The odd angle does create clearance problems, even on the real engine, but it is possible to get very close to 1:1 except for the main pipe from the exhaust....which has not arrived yet!

IMG_0653WT.jpg

IMG_0654WT.jpg

All assembled to check clearances.

IMG_0661WT.jpg

IMG_0667WT.jpg

Until the main exhaust pipe comes in I'll park this here and build the backhead, although completed in the instructions it does really need a picture to complement the drawing. Other than that it's balance weights and draw bar to finish off for the instructions. For the model it'll need the missing valve gear on the RH side completed and a few other sundries that were either duplicated on the LH side and photographed or not required for instruction photographs. These little niff naffs won't stop instruction proof reading, CAD artwork final check and ordering the final etches for detailed inspection (making sure CCU and his crew haven't paid a visit) before ordering the production ones for the kit boxes.

So nearly there now :thumbs:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Final part of the chassis finished, the main exhaust injector pipe run through the frames.

From above.

IMG_0673 WT.jpg

From below.

IMG_0679 WT.jpg

The real engine has a couple of flanges so that the section below the rear driver and the section below the Cartazzi axle can be removed.

IMG_0682 WT.jpg

Just the backhead to finish and we're done, as far as the test build goes.

For the engine, there's a few bits to recover off the Alpha model and the valve gear for the RH side to complete, but those will be as and when I find the enthusiasm, they won't delay the release.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Anyone who has ever built a Martin Finney kit and I include myself in that club will clearly see via this thread that the new Finney 7 W1 is a real step up on what has gone before..

Improving on the MF concept is no mean feat but looking closely at the chassis detail on the W1 the Finney 7 team have to be congratulated on what has been achieved here. It all bodes well for the forthcoming projects
Bob
The W1 was/is my first commercial design and a lot has been learned, not just by myself but all of us. We were very fortunate to be able to build on Martins LNER legacy; that alone took months off some of the casting development work by being able to utilise castings already in the range.

The B1 will be next and will build on the W1 experiences and we hope will progress much smoother, following that, for me, it'll be another Pacific design, it's a short race of four, all four I'll probably end up doing but in which order remains to be seen, certainly the last two. I'll also drop back to the NER A7 here and there to keep that progressing.

In the background my GEVO will plod along, a quick burst after my holiday in a couple of months will be inevitable and I've already cleared some space in the schedule to do just that, fighting it will just result in a prickly ambiance and general obbly goit feelings. Some interest bubbles are best not fought with, accept and enjoy.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
One feels duty-bound to mention that the offset of the gearbox being to the correct side to clear the exhaust steam pipe was an act of blind luck on my part...!

Steph
There's ample room both sides and the gearbox doesn't come low enough anyway to be an issue with the pipe :cool:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The final piece is done, the backhead, nothing new here as it's a standard Gresley Pacific backhead, we've no indication to say it was otherwise.

Instruction wise it was a cut and paste from the A4 and the etches were cloned from the A4, so in reality this was just a build to top out the model.

IMG_0687.jpg

In situ.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Next step in a week or so is a strip down, the chassis I'll waft with black primer and the backhead too, I may take out the arched backhead extension piece and fit it to the actual backhead, more for colour consistency than anything else. The pipework and fittings will get a thinners wash to bring out the bright work and make it look like a working engine and the backhead weathered slightly. The casing needs some filler where it joins the footplate in a few places and I'll try and get that done before Kettering.

Then it'll be mated to the body for the Kettering show. After the show (if the casing has been blended) it'll have the body taken off and handed to Warren for him to work his magic, the reality right now is that it'll more than likely be Doncaster to hand over for paint.

As I fitted the last hand wheel this evening I expected a fan fare of lights, glitter and dancing girls, the reality was much different. After nearly three years (it may of even been longer behind the scenes), the last two months getting the final build and instructions over the line on blooded hand and knee have all but taken it out of me. I'm glad it's over.

P A D

Western Thunderer
Nice backhead. Now where I have I seen one of those lately? :confused:

Superb build and fascinating to have been able to see the whole development process. If I can get to Kettering I'll bring the A4 so people can compare the original Finney design concept with the new.

Cheers,
Peter

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yeah, but look what you’ve achieved. It’s more than a bit special.

Best
Simon
That's very nice of you to say so, but reality is I just drew some lines on the screen and waved the hot stick in the general direction of the parts.

The really clever stuff was done by a whole squadron of people in the back ground and they continue to do so to get it all boxed up for stocking :thumbs: