Weathered Locos & Stock

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Neil,
which brand of paint do you use? I presume you use them neat and don't add Turps/White spirit or any other thinning agent.
Simon
I rarely use the paint fully neat Simon and regularly add thinners. I tend to use low odour thinners, Windsor&Newton Sansodor.
I’m starting to use water mixable oils and am pretty impressed with them. I hope it allows me to create further effects using a combination of both regular oils and water based one not affecting the other.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Neil,
thank you, I've now found a number of art shops with wide ranges of suppliers (and prices!). I used a very similar palette of colours on Aberbeeg in Acrylics but I didn't get on with the artist acrlics for weathering. I tried oils after seeing an article in The Weathering Magazine and bought a set of tubes from the PanzerSomething range. The paint was very colour dense and the tubes spilt easily at the base. The colours fitted in with the military modellers mindset of light rust, dark rust, etc, so they went and I have been looking for a new technique to try. Looks like I've found something for Christamas!
Simon

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Very nice weathering Neil…but it was the mention of Bourne End that caught my attention…any pictures/details please as I would be very interested in seeing progress of a very local station (originally from Maidenhead)

Thank you

Julian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Spot-on weathering when the close up shot looks like the real thing. You have noticed things about weathering that I noticed when applying weathering, so this tells me you are working off photos of the real thing.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Very nice weathering Neil…but it was the mention of Bourne End that caught my attention…any pictures/details please as I would be very interested in seeing progress of a very local station (originally from Maidenhead)

Thank you

Julian
Thank you Julian.
Bourne End is a 7mm project of how the station was in late Autumn ‘55. I’m working alongside Paul Bambrick, Richard Ellis and soon to be Nigel Smith on the layout for a client (Norman Solomon has been responsible for the track, and Brian Lewis the laser cut station buildings and platforms).
I/we currently have not asked permission from the client for me (or us) to post anything and it’s still somewhat early days, but I’m sure I’ll (we’ll) be able to post items of interest in the foreseeable future. I’ll keep you updated.
Neil.

*If you visit Paul’s website; Bambrickstudio.co.uk and click on ‘Latest News’ you’ll see some of the work Paul has undertaken on the Bourne End project.

Last edited:

steve50

Western Thunderer
Just found your thread, stunning work Neil, I cant believe that most of it is not airbrushed and only 3 main colours! I like the idea of using oils, have you tried any of the weathering oils used by military modellers? They get some great effects too.
I'd like to have a go so I'll maybe start with a wagon. The trouble I find is the underframes and getting the colours right. I always thought it's difficult to paint them subtley without an airbrush. Did you paint your wagon undeframes using the same colours and methods?

Steve.

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Just found your thread, stunning work Neil, I cant believe that most of it is not airbrushed and only 3 main colours! I like the idea of using oils, have you tried any of the weathering oils used by military modellers? They get some great effects too.
I'd like to have a go so I'll maybe start with a wagon. The trouble I find is the underframes and getting the colours right. I always thought it's difficult to paint them subtley without an airbrush. Did you paint your wagon undeframes using the same colours and methods?

Steve.
Thank you for the kind comments Steve, very much appreciated.
I’ve not used weathering oils from the various modelling companies as I couldn’t see how they’d be an improvement/different to what I was using in truth - I assumed they’d be the same thing basically?
The wagon underframes are mainly hand painted, but sometimes to get a key, I will waft a base layer of a grime colour over them first, although I do remove most of that with thinners, then I let it dry and harden, and finally overpaint with the oils, pigments and so forth.
Colour matching is based on experience and reference. It can be a tough discipline and my advice would always be to go for subdued subtle colours, nothing too strong.
Hope this helps.
Neil.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Fantastic stuff Neil,

I have started to go down the oil paint route as well after seeing a great video by an American weathering artist.

JB.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Fantastic stuff Neil,

I have started to go down the oil paint route as well after seeing a great video by an American weathering artist.

JB.
Thank you Jonathan.
I’m sure you’ll really enjoy using them.
Oil paints are just what I was used to using and felt comfortable having painted on canvas full time previously. Moving into this 3D work, I just continued using and doing what I knew in effect.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil

Thanks for the feedback on Bourne End, I will have a look at Paul’s website as mentioned but understand on photos……lucky customer to have the resources for such a lovely project. I remember riding the last steam Marlow Donkey with my Dad when I was very young…I will have to check the date.

Cheers

Julian

steve50

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the kind comments Steve, very much appreciated.
I’ve not used weathering oils from the various modelling companies as I couldn’t see how they’d be an improvement/different to what I was using in truth - I assumed they’d be the same thing basically?
The wagon underframes are mainly hand painted, but sometimes to get a key, I will waft a base layer of a grime colour over them first, although I do remove most of that with thinners, then I let it dry and harden, and finally overpaint with the oils, pigments and so forth.
Colour matching is based on experience and reference. It can be a tough discipline and my advice would always be to go for subdued subtle colours, nothing too strong.
Hope this helps.
Neil.
Thanks Neil. The wagons I want to try on are old Hornby wagons with really shiny black plastic underframes so I recon the would benefit from a key before weathering.

Steve.