Weathering on my Workbench

Rippers

Western Thunderer
Its not often someone gives me models to refinish without any specifics on what they want doing with them. However just such an oppotunity presented itself of late and by way of helping a fellow modeller with a backlog of models that were giving him ear-ache (of the wife related sort......you know the 'when are you ever........!) ;))

[attachimg=1]
Hence this largely standard Bachmann offering has been subject to my own whim in gaining a quick workover so as to feature the somewhat faded and sleightly dogeared look that many of the remaining green 47's sported in the early TOPS era 70's.
[attachimg=2]
A reasonable coat of flat matt varnish takes back the shapness of the original finish  which is then subject to a several washes of lighter green, grey and some underframe dirt type colours mixed in with odd bits of patch repainting to complete the look.
[attachimg=3]
The models finished based on photos of the prototype operating on the WR. Note the original numbering painted out at one end, yet at the other the whole cab side was repainted!. I like adding characterful prototype details like this to models. ;D
[attachimg=4]
His locos (of which there are a few) were also accompanied by a whole box of wagons or varing standards which have slowly been passing accross my workbench over the last month.
[attachimg=5]
These are only a sample but at the rate im going with his Minerals he will have a whole windcutter set before long! 8)
[attachimg=6]
Still keeps me occupied and I dont mind helping mates out with their projects.
[attachimg=7]

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 122
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 119
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 120
  • w7.jpg
    w7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 121
  • w8.jpg
    w8.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 120
  • w9.jpg
    w9.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 120
  • w10.jpg
    w10.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 121

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
WR Green TOP's 47 and friends.

Rippers, are you using an airbrush for the washes or dragging thinned paint with a brush ? also are you using acrylics or enamels ? ..............either way you are getting superb results  8) :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
... are you ... dragging thinned paint with a brush ?
Preferably a 3" decorating brush...... ;) :thumbs:

Sorry Phill... (again!) ::) :shit:

ant31117

Western Thunderer

Lovely weathering!  :bowdown:

I remember seeing 47s in green with TOPS numbers through Leamington as a kid, wish I knew which ones they were...

Ant

westernfan

Western Thunderer

Hi Rippers
great pics so you matt varnish first ? ill have to try that ,thanks for the heads up :thumbs:

Rippers

Western Thunderer

westernfan said:
Hi Rippers
great pics so you matt varnish first ? ill have to try that ,thanks for the heads up :thumbs:

Well remember to remove or mask the windows off before you do!! ;D

Incidentally, additional processes such as washing the finish over with a lighter shade (or two), cutting back with a fibre glass pencil etc before giving the model a light spray coating of varnish can give further weathering and fading effects.

Weathering is one of this subjects to which there is no right and wrong process ........... its the finished result that matters ............how you get there is down to experimentation, practice and what materials and processes you feel work best for you.

I for instance make use almost exclusively of acrylics in my work, (and hardy ever use an airbrush). But making limited use of enamels, inks and powders as well for certain effects. Whereas I know other modellers who work in little but inks or enamels (because that is what they find they are most comfortable working in). :wave:

I could go into detail on the ways that I work .but they will only ever be the ways I work ........... they might not work exactly the same way for someone else (giving someone a list of tools and paints doesnt give then the lightness of hand or experience with combining different materials for example).

Look and learn form pictures of your chosen protoypes (different body shapes, traffics, regions etc can all cause different accumulations of dirt and staining on the real thing).

It pays to experiment on old loco bodies, stock etc (I still do now in order to perfect any new finish I want before even cosidering moving onto anything expensive!) :scratch:

Even when you start to find your feet its best to start with simple paint effects......
[attachimg=1]
(Yes I know it isnt Western Region!)  ;)

or
[attachimg=4]

Before moving onto more complex finishes...
[attachimg=2]

..or combining paint effect with minor reworking of the base model...
[attachimg=3]

.........and although there were (and indeed are) some rally tatty items of stock about on the railways it is always best to have some restraint with weathering as not everything needs to be taken to the extreme....
[attachimg=5]

[attachimg=6]

...as you can see weathering (like layout design) is something I enjoy...

Attachments

• D5331.jpg
    D5331.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 64
  • nevrat1.jpg
    nevrat1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 63
  • 6wlfin1ajr6.jpg
    6wlfin1ajr6.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 64
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg