Book Western Branch Lines (david Soggee/michael Welch, Capital Transport)

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I feel it is my urgent and solemn duty to inform all lovers of the GW and Western Region of this brilliant new photo album, recently released by Capital Transport - http://www.capitaltransport.com/ (ISBN 978-185414-353-2).

The book is in the same style as other recent releases of theirs over the last couple of years or so, including 'Western Steam in Devon & Cornwall', 'Somerset & Dorset Sunset', 'Southern Branchlines' etc.

The coverage is excellent, albeit understandable patchy, considering that there are views from branch lines in the London area, down through Wiltshire, Somerset to the South West, and also in various parts of Wales.

It is (in my view) absurdly good value at £16.95, considering that this is a quality, hardback production.

I bought mine from His Nibs at http://titfield.co.uk/, but clearly there other options as well. I just walked into Simon's shop in Larkhall, Bath just before Christmas, with the specific objective of retrieving a book he'd borrowed from me, and a slightly more vague notion of blagging a cup of tea and some biscuits and talking rhubarb for a while, and one of the first things I saw was this book on display on his 'new arrivals' stand - finding it made my day (and certainly made for a less dull train journey home afterwards!).

IMG_3292.JPG

Go and buy it, it's really excellent - go now, don't delay, spoil yourself today!!

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Must be something about that bookshop:D I walked in after Christmas with a slightly vague notion of blagging a cup of tea and some biscuits and talking rhubarb for a while, and one of the first things I saw was this book on display on his 'new arrivals' stand too. Its been thumbed a few times since and I concur with the Captain, well worth the cover price :)

28ten

Guv'nor
I got a copy yesterday from Simon. Some great shots of Coalbrookdale and Ironbridge, beter still there is a cracking shot of Wallingford on a cold wet day. The whole book is packed full of 'oh I could make a model of that' photos

ant31117

Western Thunderer
Based on the comments above, I bought a copy of this at the Pontefract show today. I am very impressed, all the photos are in colour, of high quality, and with first rate reproduction. Very highly recommended, and at a bargain price.

Ant

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
I bought this book too, I'd highly recommend it to any thunderer.. Bought the southern one too which is also just as good (same author) :thumbs: Ross

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I feel it is my urgent and solemn duty to inform all lovers of the GW and Western Region of this brilliant new photo album, recently released by Capital Transport - http://www.capitaltransport.com/ (ISBN 978-185414-353-2).

The book is in the same style as other recent releases of theirs over the last couple of years or so, including 'Western Steam in Devon & Cornwall', 'Somerset & Dorset Sunset', 'Southern Branchlines' etc.

The coverage is excellent, albeit understandable patchy, considering that there are views from branch lines in the London area, down through Wiltshire, Somerset to the South West, and also in various parts of Wales.

It is (in my view) absurdly good value at £16.95, considering that this is a quality, hardback production.

I bought mine from His Nibs at http://titfield.co.uk/, but clearly there other options as well. I just walked into Simon's shop in Larkhall, Bath just before Christmas, with the specific objective of retrieving a book he'd borrowed from me, and a slightly more vague notion of blagging a cup of tea and some biscuits and talking rhubarb for a while, and one of the first things I saw was this book on display on his 'new arrivals' stand - finding it made my day (and certainly made for a less dull train journey home afterwards!).

View attachment 8594

Go and buy it, it's really excellent - go now, don't delay, spoil yourself today!!

Can anyone tell me what is that "thingy" that looks like a white post doing in the centre of the picture on the front cover, looks like it can be adjusted up and down ?

ATB, Martyn.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Can anyone tell me what is that "thingy" that looks like a white post doing in the centre of the picture on the front cover, looks like it can be adjusted up and down ?

ATB, Martyn.

Easy - it does the same as the one on the opposite platform!

HTH

Dave

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Easy - it does the same as the one on the opposite platform!

HTH

Dave

Ha !! I did notice that one as well, I was just making sure you were all alert out there :D. Do you think they might be automatic back scratchers to while away the time waiting for the next push pull to come along :thumbs:

Martyn.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Joking aside, it's presumably platform/station lighting. It looks as though it's a gas fitting but lighting it would need long arms. That circular fitting on the base of the mast looks like a control of some sort.

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I tend to agree that it's to do with lighting, where are the rivet counters when you need them :D.

Martyn.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

ATB, Martyn.

It's a mast to support a Tilley lamp, also known as a "Challow" lamp, this being the ex GWR station at which they were first trialled.

I believe the lamp's vessel was filled with paraffin, then pressurised using a bicycle pump. Once lit, the lamp would be hoisted to the cradle at the top of the post by means of the winch mechanism near the base.

If I've done this right, there should be a picture of the lamp itself here (12th picture down)....

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/tilleyindustriallamps.html

Regards

Dan