Western questions from a novice - headcodes?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Books on Westerns have yet to appear on the bookshelf here... sorry... and I have drawn a blank with internet searches today.

What services did the Westerns work where the engine carried a nameboard?

thank you, Graham

D1054

Western Thunderer
They didn't, Graham. Basically, although fitted with nameboard clips, the classic train name-boards weren't carried by the 52's, excepting occasional specials. You're looking for a needle in a haystack.

Sorry, mate.

Boris.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you for confirming what I was suspecting... mind you, several hours of looking at photos of 1000s was quite relaxing.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Just had a quick skim through half-a-dozen books of Western photos and, as commented above, the only photos of 1000s with headboards were specials. The various headboards carried disfigured the locos appearance in every case.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Interesting that one of the few classes of BR diesels which were built with headboard clips did not carry headboards for service trains.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Interesting that one of the few classes of BR diesels which were built with headboard clips did not carry headboards for service trains.

A probable factor was that the available boards were all traditional pattern, lamp brackets for the use of. I do STR reading mention of some proposed boards that would have been specific to the 1000s, but with BTC policy edging away from train naming as the locos came on stream, it probably wasnt progressed.

D1054

Western Thunderer
A probable factor was that the available boards were all traditional pattern, lamp brackets for the use of. I do STR reading mention of some proposed boards that would have been specific to the 1000s, but with BTC policy edging away from train naming as the locos came on stream, it probably wasnt progressed.

And of course, the latter Swindon built engines were released without nameboard clips, and several which had cab rebuilds following accident damage had no clips on their replacement cabs so several engines ran with original clips at one end only.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
... and several which had cab rebuilds following accident damage had no clips on their replacement cabs so several engines ran with original clips at one end only.

Did they have a screw coupling and pipework fitted at that end, and a tension lock at the other?

:drool:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I recall seeing, somewhere on the internet, a list of "Western" names which were not used because the intended engines were not built. Anyone any ideas as to where that list is hiding?

thank you, Graham

daifly

Western Thunderer
I recall seeing, somewhere on the internet, a list of "Western" names which were not used because the intended engines were not built. Anyone any ideas as to where that list is hiding?
I don't know about the internet, but Adrian Curtis' book 'Western Mythology' lists all 300 used and proposed names plus the original list of 74 rejected 'Cheddar Gorge' names.

Simon

Flying Squad

thank you, Graham

Well I hesitate to suggest this, as I'm allegedly supposed to be a responsible member of this institution community, but why worry about some old list when we could create our own:)

So a sensible one: "Western Privateer"

A slightly dubious one: "Western Behemoth"

A silly one: "Western Moderator":))

A strangely appealing one "Western Mistress":oops:

Leading on to the very dubious "Western Dominatrix":eek:

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Well I hesitate to suggest this, as I'm allegedly supposed to be a responsible member of this institution community, but why worry about some old list when we could create our own
Not wishing to prolong the agony.. Western Spaghetti......

Being serious, for academic reasons I wanted to revisit the web page with the list of names which were allocated to specific D1000 class numbers, something like 10 or 15 numbers running consecutive from the last engine built.

alcazar

I have an old photo somewhere taken at Newton Abbott of a class $% towing a dead western and it's train.

Some wag had named the Peak "Western Acorn" in the grime on it's side panel.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Hows about Western Zanussi, Western Hotpoint, Western Candi, Western LG, Western Beco, Western Tin Bath, Western Mangle, Western Cystern, Western Plumber, Western Plunger, Western Ball Cock, Western pipe spanner, Western flow valve, Western Blockage, Western Dynorod, Western Combi boiler, Western Emersion Heater the list is endless
+ my personal favourite Western U bend

Well done done SGT Marsa for for using Mr muscle U bend un-blocker to ease my mental blockage as Western Andrex has really hit the Pan.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hows about Western Zanussi, Western Hotpoint, Western Candi, Western LG, Western Beco, Western Tin Bath, Western Mangle, Western Cystern, Western Plumber, Western Plunger, Western Ball Cock, Western pipe spanner, Western flow valve, Western Blockage, Western Dynorod, Western Combi boiler, Western Emersion Heater the list is endless
+ my personal favourite Western U bend

Well done done SGT Marsa for for using Mr muscle U bend un-blocker to ease my mental blockage as Western Andrex has really hit the Pan.
The novice has spoken:)):p