Western questions from a novice - headcodes?

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Sorry Doggers for side tracking your thread but it looked so much fun, didn't realise we had to be serious as it was for Academic reasons.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Sorry Doggers for side tracking your thread but it looked so much fun, didn't realise we had to be serious as it was for Academic reasons.
No worry, be happy... your suggestions are worthy of being included here. I have often wondered why Swindon, after naming a 9F as Evening Star, did not include Western Star, Western Sunrise and Western Sunset in the original namings. Then again, no one had a sense of humour so we did not get:-

* Sand Castle;
* Barbara Castle;
* Evening 'All;
* Super Star...

and no doubt many more from the contemporary music halls.

daifly

Western Thunderer
It would give you something to do
A quick scan, OCR and cleanup gives the attached file of names.
I had to convert it to a .pdf as .doc is not an allowed upload format. If anyone needs it in word format, then PM me.

Dave

Attachments

• Western names.pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 31

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Fascinating. Not only would we have had a larger 'Western' class, new 'River' and 'Bird' classes, we would even have had a 'Natural Disasters' class!

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Dave, that list is going to satisfy the academic interest for yonks.

Now a modelling question... how do peeps feel about using any of the "unused" names for a model of the D1000 class? Given that the Great Western Society has named the "new" Saint in an entirely appropriate manner... as has the A1 Trust... why should I not name my model of Swindon's finest diesel as Western Legend for that is what the class has become.

regards, Graham

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
I think it's entirely up to you, Graham. Modelling is largely about alternative scenarios, in one way or another. This is only my view, but an additional member of a class that actually was built has more credibility than, say, something that was proposed but never got off the drawing board.

marsa69

Western Thunderer
It's your model mate and you can name it whatever you want. if people can model fictitious locations and 'what ifs' then you can do the same with your loco :thumbs:

mth

Western Thunderer
It's your model mate and you can name it whatever you want. if people can model fictitious locations and 'what ifs' then you can do the same with your loco :thumbs:
Good. out comes my 55109 and 34001 (LMS10000 in dutch):))

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Peter and I have two Westerns from JLTRT and they are to be done in mid 1960s maroon. Ian (@ D1054) has offered to assist with the lighting and the headcode displays... provided that we detail the headcodes to be displayed on each engine. I have had a preliminary search of the internet looking for a web site with information on allocations and services worked... no such luck as yet (what I am after is something like the Class 37 pages which gives service information / dates for individual engines). Any suggestions?

Our wish is for each engine to carry headcodes for the Paddington / Birmingham services via the Great Western "New Line" - the services over the Great Western & Great Central Joint - with each engine having one headcode for a down service and one headcode for an up service. Any suggestions?

Sorry to ask, Simon "Da Shop" only managed to sell me two Western Photobooks at Christmas and most of the photos are for Devon and Cornwall services.

Thank you, Graham

Last edited:

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Our wish is for each engine to carry headcodes for the Paddington / Birmingham services via the Great Western "New Line" - the services over the Great Western & Great Central Joint - with each engine having one headcode for a down service and one headcode for an up service. Any suggestions?

I know it's a drag, but if you trawl the two Dapol Western threads on Rmweb, you should find some Flickr links to shots on the Birmingham road, though they may not be in both directions. You'll want a 1Mxx code going north and 1Vxx up to Padd, because the services nearly all ran through to Birkenhead and were hence inter-Regional. If I get time tonight, I should be able to find a few shots in my library that will confirm.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
You'll want a 1Mxx code going north and 1Vxx up to Padd, because the services nearly all ran through to Birkenhead and were hence inter-Regional. If I get time tonight, I should be able to find a few shots in my library that will confirm.
Thank you for this.. interesting picture in the current Hornby magasine shows D1000 heading a down service, through the Down Main at High Wycombe, carrying a "2A.." headcode.

regards, Graham

alcazar

Thank you Dave, that list is going to satisfy the academic interest for yonks.

Now a modelling question... how do peeps feel about using any of the "unused" names for a model of the D1000 class? Given that the Great Western Society has named the "new" Saint in an entirely appropriate manner... as has the A1 Trust... why should I not name my model of Swindon's finest diesel as Western Legend for that is what the class has become.

regards, Graham

Would that the A1 trust had done so. Sadly, "Tornado" had no connection to any A1 loco, living or dead. The A1's were named after racehorses, Sir Walter Scott characters, Railway companies, birds and directors.

"Tornado" got it's name from a bit of jingoism during the Gulf conflict, afaik. The name had already been carried by at least one other loco.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Given that the Great Western Society has named the "new" Saint in an entirely appropriate manner... as has the A1 Trust... why should I not name my model of Swindon's finest diesel as Western Legend for that is what the class has become.
Would that the A1 trust had done so. ... "Tornado" got it's name from a bit of jingoism during the Gulf conflict, afaik. The name had already been carried by at least one other loco.
So that this topic does not cause any mis-conception amongst the readers I asked a member of the A1 Trust, responsible for management of the drawings, about the naming decision. As Jeff has suggested, the origin of the name for the new build is the publicity associated with the Tornado aircraft at the time when the engine was being built. My contact added:- "As far as I can determine it is the fifth loco to carry the name, a broad gauge GW, LNWR a Brit and others".

An interesting thought, courtesy of Dave Daifly. If Swindon had continued with construction of the finest diesels then what would the A1 Trust have called the new build given that Tornado and Typhoon would have been carried by Westerns?

Maybe not... no need to continue with that thought, Westerns in any colour beat an A1 ;) :thumbs: .

regards, Graham

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Right then, apologies for the delay. A quick perusal of three or four hydraulic-themed tomes provides:

1M18 - 0910 Padd - B'head
1V07 - 1140 B'head - Padd
1M06 - arrival at Chester from Padd, no further details
1V03 - B'head - Padd at Hatton, no further details

If those dont suit I can probably find others.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
1M18 - 0910 Padd - B'head
1V07 - 1140 B'head - Padd
1M06 - arrival at Chester from Padd, no further details
1V03 - B'head - Padd at Hatton, no further details
Thank you, a good start. If 1M06 and 1M18 are for services in the same WTT then the Chester arrival must have been a very early departure from PDN.

Ideally, I would like the headcode at one end to be for the Down service and the other headcode to be for the Up service... so if I go with 1M18 at one end the other end ought to be the code of the service which the engine worked back to PDN. Tricky I know, just got to try.

regards, Graham