What system to use for signal and point control?

paratom

Western Thunderer
I have been looking at various ways of operating points and signals and have come across several Youtube videos using the free Arduino software for programming the servo motors. I have had a look at the MegaPoint system and was impressed with their ability to add bounce to the signal arms. I was wondering if anyone has achieved this with the Arduino software. The attraction of using the Arduino software is that the servo controllers used with it are a lot cheaper but if the MegaPoint or MERG system is a lot easier to use and set up then paying the extra cost I'm not worried about. The servos I will buy from Amazon as they seem to have the best deal on them. I look forward to any replies.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
I usually buy the servos from Ebay still cheaper and as good as anywhere in my experience. Megapoint is OK if you can stand the button pushing, MERG members have access to a kit version, which is cheaper. MERG also have several other options, depends which you prefer. Arduino is probably cheaper but not as versatile. I prefer the MERG system myself, SERVO 4 bounce version is my preference. Depending on how far you want to take it some use of a Microchip Pickit may be needed to load alternative firmware.

Stuart D

I am using the Megapoints system and have no regrets. As Stephen says, there is a good deal of button pushing to program each servo but that is only something you have to do once when setting up, and after that it all seems to work very effectively. The random bounce can be very pleasing (not to say a little addictive!) to watch.

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
I’ve seen the new Modulus system from Scale Model Scenery at Taunton SWAG show. Looks amazing DC and DCC compatible servo control sound anything. Not out yet but very soon and don’t know the price yet.
looks complicated in the photo below but after an explanation from @Stubby47 it is certainly not.

7289F508-385E-4D83-97D4-89125A6627B2.jpeg