What type of motor is this?

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Any idea what the origin of this motor is? It came out of a George (?) Hinchcliffe course scale Crab that I am updating to FS. It still works too.

49635201866_6cba29cc86_b.jpg

49634680913_86eefa77d3_b.jpg

49634680943_c5cc652054_b.jpg

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Well, it stamped with a serial number and the voltage "12" so one of a batch. Looks similar to a John Hart to me.

Mike

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Try looking online for Read Maxwell motors. When they ceased production I believe John Hart continued making them himself. There were very few other motors available at the time and I think he stopped only in the 1980s. Ty near the bottom of tis page
Other Vintage Locos & Motors

Mike

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Why is that Nick? It was a good quality motor at the time and presumably original to that engine - a part of its history. Why are you changing it?

Mike

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike. The model has a lot of quality to it and the Walsall wheels let it down quite badly. It looks resplendent with the new Slater's wheels, and will now run on FS layouts. It just seemed sensible to update the motor too so it would run better with modern electronic controllers. Thought it would be sensible to sell the redundant motor and wheels to subsidise the upgrade. Better to pass the motor on to someone who may find a use for it.