4mm Whatborough Camp

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A final report for our readers at Christmas by our roving reporter from the "Whatborough Bugle", one Ivor Penn.

'After thorough cleaning of the troublesome point-work previously discussed which included the re-alignment of point blades in addition to contact surfaces being thoroughly - some might even say harshly having watched the team at work - cleaned, the remaining task was the re-alignment of some adjacent track which apparently had a mysterious area of non-conductivity which caused stalling of most members of the locomotive roster at one time or another :(. A replacement section of track was fitted and the misalignment corrected resulting in smooth running of various locos which were passed over it as test vehicles, under power of course. We now have every hope that trains departing or arriving at platform one from "somewhere in England" (aka the fiddle yard) will now do so in a smooth and railway-like manner without the sudden jerk to an unseemly halt that previously plagued them. Finally, the new platform constructed for the military originally is now seeing increased use with a limited public service having been instituted. It is understood that some form of station buildings are due for construction in the near future

There is gossip of the possibility of a move to a future point of our time span when the railway system has become nationalised :eek:. There is a saving point here in as much as we shall certainly see different engines and rolling stock - literally, time alone will tell. :confused:'

There you have it my friends - hot off the press. No doubt Mr Penn will delight(?) us further in 2022.

Roger.:)

jonte

Western Thunderer
A final report for our readers at Christmas by our roving reporter from the "Whatborough Bugle", one Ivor Penn.

'After thorough cleaning of the troublesome point-work previously discussed which included the re-alignment of point blades in addition to contact surfaces being thoroughly - some might even say harshly having watched the team at work - cleaned, the remaining task was the re-alignment of some adjacent track which apparently had a mysterious area of non-conductivity which caused stalling of most members of the locomotive roster at one time or another :(. A replacement section of track was fitted and the misalignment corrected resulting in smooth running of various locos which were passed over it as test vehicles, under power of course. We now have every hope that trains departing or arriving at platform one from "somewhere in England" (aka the fiddle yard) will now do so in a smooth and railway-like manner without the sudden jerk to an unseemly halt that previously plagued them. Finally, the new platform constructed for the military originally is now seeing increased use with a limited public service having been instituted. It is understood that some form of station buildings are due for construction in the near future

There is gossip of the possibility of a move to a future point of our time span when the railway system has become nationalised :eek:. There is a saving point here in as much as we shall certainly see different engines and rolling stock - literally, time alone will tell. :confused:'

There you have it my friends - hot off the press. No doubt Mr Penn will delight(?) us further in 2022.

Roger.:)

I sincerely hope so, Roger :thumbs:

Enjoy your newly acquired smooth running, Roger; looking forward to you spoiling us with an interesting variety of stock in the New Year.

Well hurrah for Nationalisation, say I! :)

Best.

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Well, hello once more to readers of the 'Whatborough Bugle'. It has been rather too long since there was anything to report from Whatborough Yard and the railway/military activities in the district. I can now reveal that there were a number of new locomotives seen, albeit briefly, mainly on running in turns from Rugby and Northampton on the one hand and Peterborough on the other. It is hoped that some of these will be captured on film in the near future. Meanwhile plans on the construction side have been held up by a very debilitating mixture of both domestic and health problems which have managed to impinge greatly on available time. The construction of cassettes for the revised fiddle yard is now under way (or should that be 'weigh'? Perhaps someone with naval experience would know which word to use in this context?):confused:! Replacement of the spoiled road surface is the next job - suitable materials courtesy of Messrs. Metcalfe having been obtained. The station area is finally being permanently settled, although another building has yet to be butchered to fit in to the scheme - more on that when it happens. I confess to shying off the further ballasting - I had hoped to acquire one of those little applicators but they seen to have disappeared from the market and hand ballasting is both tedious and time consuming - at least as far as I am concerned, although I do know of a modeller who really enjoys the work. Well, it takes all sorts ;).

So there we are - contrary to all rumours and inuendo, I am still alive and causing trouble and seem to have got my mojo back in working order once more on the model rail field, despite having to, for the present, put my 009 project in to store. Certain developments that were originally implied in my last post on Whatborough have been reviewed and it has been decided that the era will remain at III. Subsequently the suggested movement in to BR days will now result in a new 4mm layout which will be introduced as an independent thread on this section of the forum as and when it comes in to existence. I would point out that this next project, like my current and previous work, will consist principally of r-t-r products, the object being to create a plausible and realistic scene which is convincing to the eye. Unfortunately I do not have the talent for scratch building locos in any scale which I understand many modellers do most competently and prefer to follow this wonderful hobby that way. As I said earlier - it takes all sorts and what is more there is room for us all too! :)

More news and pictures soon.

Roger ;).

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger.

Glad to read that you seem to be coping admirably with your change in circumstance(s) and pleased that the mojo is gradually returning :thumbs: I’m sure there are many fellow WT-ers who, like me, will be glad to read that Whatborough remains to the fore, and I, for one shall, be eagerly waiting to see the latest ‘kettles’ on your roster

Sounds as though you’re going to be a busy guy what with a new project on the horizon too! Something else to look forward to for a fellow r-t-r modeller, although I’m sure there will be something more for me to learn from your greater experience

Finally, you could be right in your assumption that ‘way’ was originally ‘weigh’ , which itself is probably the correct spelling of the term ‘to weigh anchor’. However, I’m more familiar with the terms ‘making way’ and ‘underway’, which - from my unreliable memory of learning the ‘Rules of the Road’ for a past RYA exam - is defined as a vessel that isn’t tethered i.e. under sail, under power or drifting. That’s, of course Roger, if memory serves me right ;)

Here’s to the next instalment.

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Jon,

Thanks for the opinion on "way/weigh" with which I am strongly inclined to agree. I also agree (due to considerable personal experience :rolleyes:) that memory can be less reliable with advancing years. As for your other kind and most flattering remarks, I humbly thank you.

Roger

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Using that wonderful time machine controlled solely by my overactive imagination (some call it that :cool:) a visit to Whatborough in the last months of the war revealed very little military activity but the railway companies were operating their pick-up goods trains with some apparent vigour. As the well-known correspondent and photographer-cum-railway enthusiast Ivor Penn cycled by the passenger platform he noticed that ex Midland 1F 0-6-0T 1726 was simmering at the platform with a short van train. He surreptitiously took the picture below..........

SAM_2199.JPG

.....then risking being challenged for trespassing, crept along and took this shot of the venerable loco.
SAM_2200.JPG

Bicycling on Ivor Penn then saw the J15 drifting in to Whatborough and going on to the goods shed road with a pick up goods working. This was undoubtedly the reason for the LMS train awaiting the right of way. His hurried photo resulted in the blurring of the picture ..........:(
SAM_2201.JPG

In an effort to make up for the first picture another one was taken from the overbridge by the military sidings. The train had stopped and both members of the crew appear to have got down from the footplate for reasons unknown.......! In those security-conscious times it did not pay to hang around and ask too many questions :(!
SAM_2203.JPG

Finally, Ivor took a long shot from the overbridge of the LMS Van train, still waiting it's turn to leave.
SAM_2198.JPG

So there you have it friends - steam activities are alive and well at Whatborough and work is slowly going ahead on the various tasks that are pending. One bit of good news is that the management have managed to purchase one of those ballast spreaders mentioned in our last post and it is expected 'on site' before the end of the week. More news in due course but until then keep well everyone and enjoy your modelling.

Roger ;).

jonte

Western Thunderer
A model railway with a real sense of place, time and purpose, all eloquently conveyed in your usual inimitable fashion, Roger :thumbs:

I’m pleased you’re continuing with Whatborough, Roger, despite your recent circumstances, as there is much first hand knowledge of the subject that only one ‘who was there’ can adequately share with those of us who weren’t ;) I also admire your track plan and the sense of depth the backscene provides. Your arched retaining walls do indeed look the part, and as one who has yet to experience the task of ballasting, I look forward to seeing the results of the ‘spreader’ which sounds like it could make lighter work of the process. Let’s just hope the Postie gets his skates on and ensures it lands, as arranged, before the end of the week so, we can see the results asap :thumbs:

Oh, and the 1F looks resplendent in its LMS livery :)

Happy modelling to you too, Roger.

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
.My apologies for the long delay in reporting further activities at Whatborough. Due to a variety of circumstances, the details of which have no place on this forum, work on much required activities has been extremely slow and a great deal is still under construction, particularly in the station area. The plan was - and for that matter still is, I guess, to increase the reliability and running by improvement of my track laying and endeavour to remove the problematic sections to be replaced by a system that will be better overall. For a long time the crews had been complaining about what could be called the 'king' point at the entry to Whatborough as being very rough and derailments on the entry to the goods depot road were not infrequent. A temporary solution had been attempted by changing the existing point for a similar one, which had, it seemed, better alignment but ultimately the old complaints and faults re-emerged, even making some news in the "Whatborough Bugle" - that Ivor Penn gets everywhere :rolleyes:!

Subsequently it was decided to move the goods shed to a new site opposite the station platform. The meant that the platform road would have to be moved over slightly to allow clearance from the goods shed wall which, in turn, meant the re-siting of the platform. Well in my little world of Whatborough the approaching end of war time meant that there was plenty of military capacity available to undertake this work as an unmissable training opportunity to hone the unsung but highly competent military skills of building and railway maintenance together with staff from the railways involved, the LMS and LNER. Thus the work was undertaken :).

Back in real life - which itself had intervened on several occasions in the past few months, one way or another - the king point has been replaced but in doing so it was found that a length of track immediately butting up to it from the fiddle yard would benefit from replacement. As this area was the only part to have been ballasted this too made a further delay and site cleaning of the old ballasting and replacement of the cork below makes additional work, so that remains only partly done so far. The old lead to the goods shed is presently still disconnected from the replaced point as it is to be relaid as a loco servicing point and the alignment adjusted. The goods shed has been successfully 'transplanted' . (Is this an early example of brick-by-brick removal and rebuilding we ask :confused:?) It has transpired that the original platform needed to be replaced - the original was not really adequate and a new one has now to be built from scratch.

Well, that's the news and pictures fit to print so far. Oh yes - the pictures..........

Firstly, a general view from the buffer stops at Whatborough. The back wall is temporarily placed pending the instalment of another length of back-scene - currently in store! By the way - have you noticed what a fierce critic the camera is? Those buffer stops both need re-seating, yet to the mark one eyeballs, albeit 85 years old and assisted, they originally looked alright - heigh-ho :headbang:. The original platform remains in place pro temps, as they say, pending replacement.

SAM_2210.JPG

This area was mainly hidden by the goods shed. Now to be developed in to a loco servicing area. The short track length inserted between the two halves of the curved approach (radius 3 for those interested ) provided the clearance mentioned above.
SAM_2211.JPG

Finally, the devastation at the presently severed station throat. Bearing in mind that there is a war on we can always blame the Lufwaffe.....:eek:!SAM_2212.JPG

To quote a well known phrase - that's all folks'

Happy modelling and keep well,

Roger.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Welcome back, Roger :)

It’s a bind having to replace temperamental elements of track, especially when permanently fixed and ballasted as described. This was the case on a couple of occasions with Monks; we slow down locos at these locations to reduce the likelihood of derailments/stalling/jolting, or try an alternative route; anything to avoid the rigmarole of having to lift and replace. But in the end, we can’t kid ourselves, and eventually succumb to the inevitable :(

What a relief however, when all is resolved and the enjoyment of our tiny make believe worlds returns once more :thumbs:

I’m pleased that Whatborough received a reprieve from the powers that be, Roger, and that all bodes well for the future.

Looks like the Luftwaffe will have to try a darned sight harder to try and spoil the party ;)

Vive La Provence de What!

Jonte

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Good to see you are still working on this project Roger, nice little anecdotes too...
Good health to you
Julian

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The following notice appeared today in the 'Stop Press' section of the 'Whatborough Bugle' :-

"The damage to the railway track caused by the Luftwaffe 'tip and run' raid on the Whatborough Yard near the Marefield Road bridge has been repaired. The station and goods sidings are now connected and services are expected to resume almost immediately.. Official news and pictures are expected soon.
Ivor Penn."

We will look forward to that!
Roger ;).

Activity at Whatborough once more!

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Activity at Whatborough has resumed!

SAM_2214.JPG
One of Mr Thompsons new 01 2-8-0's drifts in with a train of empty wagons to be loaded with military supplies being transferred to the South Coast - so we are told.....:eek:!

SAM_2215.JPG
A G2a waits for it's next turn of duty.

SAM_2216.JPG
The station pilot parked on what is intended to be the servicing facility. Obviously work in progress ;)

More to come soon,

Roger

Last edited:

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It has been a rather indifferent couple of months on the personal front, hence the lack of news from Whatborough. However, the time otherwise occupied did allow me to re-appraise my approach to this layout. The basic concept still seemed a reasonable 'might-have-been' situation but several aspects of my ham-fisted efforts which I try to pass off as modelling, left much to be desired and to quote the late Tony Hancock "I was not 'appy!". The application of the thinking cap has, I believe gone some way to resolving my dis-satisfaction and alleviated some long standing niggles.
1. The entrance roads to the station and goods shed as originally planned and executed looked cramped and the 'king 'point consistently gave problems despite being changed.
2. The so-called servicing point was not big enough to take the larger (2-8-0/4-6-0) locos on the longest road without blocking access to the other road.
3. The platform was too short.
I was able to construct some Metcalfe kits during this time and more recently completely remove the offending track layout and relay to a more spacious and simplified design. The pictures will show a new, longer. curved platform and an extended back-scene complete with building. It was decide d, reluctantly, to abandon the idea of a loco service point - locos will return to Marefield junction for turning and refuelling - for those who remember the 'back story'.
I would emphasize that this is still very much work in progress as I have also been planning a further 00 layout for the garage and have been sharing what time was available between the two. The new layout will naturally have it's own thread in due course, but at the moment two naked base-boards have no attraction to me to try to write about at all....!
Station and shed area
SAM_2220.JPG
The approach to the station area
SAM_2222.JPG
The simplified entrance to Whatborough Camp
[SAM_2223.JPG
Repositioned barrier check point
SAM_2224.JPG

Finally - those of you who followed me this far will also note the layout has been renamed to Whatborough Camp which is more in keeping with the general theme and will place it firmly in the 1940's, the time of The Big Four.. The various items I have been acquiring with cycling lions and ferret and dartboard markings will now find their home on my new project in the garage - mentioned above!

Cheers,

Roger

jonte

Western Thunderer
It has been a rather indifferent couple of months on the personal front, hence the lack of news from Whatborough. However, the time otherwise occupied did allow me to re-appraise my approach to this layout. The basic concept still seemed a reasonable 'might-have-been' situation but several aspects of my ham-fisted efforts which I try to pass off as modelling, left much to be desired and to quote the late Tony Hancock "I was not 'appy!". The application of the thinking cap has, I believe gone some way to resolving my dis-satisfaction and alleviated some long standing niggles.
1. The entrance roads to the station and goods shed as originally planned and executed looked cramped and the 'king 'point consistently gave problems despite being changed.
2. The so-called servicing point was not big enough to take the larger (2-8-0/4-6-0) locos on the longest road without blocking access to the other road.
3. The platform was too short.
I was able to construct some Metcalfe kits during this time and more recently completely remove the offending track layout and relay to a more spacious and simplified design. The pictures will show a new, longer. curved platform and an extended back-scene complete with building. It was decide d, reluctantly, to abandon the idea of a loco service point - locos will return to Marefield junction for turning and refuelling - for those who remember the 'back story'.
I would emphasize that this is still very much work in progress as I have also been planning a further 00 layout for the garage and have been sharing what time was available between the two. The new layout will naturally have it's own thread in due course, but at the moment two naked base-boards have no attraction to me to try to write about at all....!
Station and shed area
View attachment 168605
The approach to the station area
View attachment 168606
The simplified entrance to Whatborough Camp
[View attachment 168607
Repositioned barrier check point
View attachment 168608

Finally - those of you who followed me this far will also note the layout has been renamed to Whatborough Camp which is more in keeping with the general theme and will place it firmly in the 1940's, the time of The Big Four.. The various items I have been acquiring with cycling lions and ferret and dartboard markings will now find their home on my new project in the garage - mentioned above!

Cheers,

Roger
Great title, Roger, and reminiscent of the Altcar Camp facility on the old Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, a stone’s throw from me in Hightown.

Consisting of a mere siding or two, with a single platform and the most meagre of facilities, it was nothing as grand as this, Roger.

I recall my father mentioning it once or twice as he grew up there, and have come across the odd black & white piccie or two, from way back when, on the ‘net, which show the troops disembarking (First World War?).

It all looks very neat and plausible, Roger, and the kits look well made:thumbs: I couldn’t help noticing too the excellently weathered Nissan Hut and adjacent store.

Looking forward to your dressing of the bare bones of those ‘au naturel’ baseboards ;)

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
As Autumn is now upon us and the garage becomes a less welcoming workplace, the shed housing Whatborough Camp with its warmth from the afternoon sunshine, or the use of a small electric fire in the times when the clouds deny that benefit, beckons for attention. I freely admit I have neglected this little scene for far too long and thus today I ventured 'on site' and did a bit of tidying up, track cleaning and assessment of various rectifications needed, like the fact that the tie rod from one point lever to the single slip has broken and needs moving to the other point on the other side of the unit which fortunately remains as built. I also took the opportunity too 'play trains' - well, why not ;)? - and give certain of my recent acquisitions a run out. To that end I attach pictures of events which would seem to imply that we have moved forward a few years into the era of Early Nationalisation - one loco does have the first style of crest so it must be in the early fifties. Significantly the pictures were credited to one I. Penn Junior - it appears that our old friend from wartime Whatborough Camp, Ivor Penn (Senior?), is now Editor of the 'Whatborough Bugle' and his son has taken over from Dad to become the paper's photographer. Well, there's nothing like keeping it in the family, I suppose.

So her we go - the line is now firmly within the London Midland region and former LMS types prevail, as will be seen:-

SAM_2236.JPG
A Fowler 2-6-4T slowly moving out of the goods yard. In the back ground a 2P 4-4-0 stands with the late afternoon departure for Market Harborough and Rugby.

SAM_2242.JPG
The Fowler continues to thread it's way gently out to the main line............

SAM_2237.JPG

.......where it starts to accelerate passing a Deeley/Fowler Compound 4P in the old goods yard. This loco brought in the passenger stock previously seen with the inbound working from Rugby.

SAM_2241.JPG
A closer view of the Compound - obviously not long out of the paint-shop. The old goods yard would appear to be seeing a new use as a locomotive servicing point - amazing what the future might hold for the Whatborough Camp of the mid-forties :cool: !

Well, there we are once more. In actual fact as Whatborough is 'live' and the new Cropsham isn't, as yet, Whatborough Camp remains the only place I can test my purchases. Testing proved it's worth a number of times, particularly in the case of the 2P. I have wanted one for some time and in the event have tried two - the first was returned for refund - it was too light and would not stay on the track. The second one was retained after return for rectification by the supplier, who were I must say, most helpful

Finally, may I wish you all continued happy and successful modelling and if you enjoy Whatborough Camp, there will be more instalments to come.

Cheers,
:)Roger

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Following my brief trip in to the early days of 'British Railways', I was troubled by my conscience reminding me that not too long back I wrote in this thread that the layout would, although having a slightly sliding time frame, remain firmly in the period known as era three. Thus a suitable mental reprimand was given and, following my receipt of the latest anti-covid booster and it's distinctly enervating after-effects :(, I have slowly got down to the necessary maintenance work mentioned in my last post. This has involved an element of tidying, touch-up jobs here and there but one major problem remained. The broken single slip :eek:! We all appeciate that it is quite possible to connect to either side of a Peco point as the blade tie-bar is double ended. This had been my original thoughts and the answer to the problem. Wrong-ng-ng-ng :oops:! The matter of insufficient clearance became very apparent when operating a test move :headbang:. The re-designed current track layout had proved eminently satisfactory and I had no wish to 'move it round' yet again because of this. You know - if it ain't broke....' :(. Yes I know the tie-bar had broken, but that was not quite my point - :rolleyes:! To curtail a rather long story and eliminate the questionable language, I ultimately decided that installing a double slip replacement would be a considerable advantage and ease certain operations in the yard at Whatborough more than considerably. The damaged single slip can then be put aside and used on some other project - (with a bit of luck :)).

Thus, it being an ill wind, etc., I took the chance to order other needed items together with the double slip which are now in the postal system according to the retailer and this should allow installation during next week. In the meantime I am able to continue with other items and I really must have a proper 'go' at the fiddle yard which is probably the least satisfactory bit of the layout at the moment.

Sorry - no pictures this time but rest assured - good old Ivor Penn will back sniffing out the news and getting pictures of it past the censor in our war-torn mid-forties era at Whatborough Camp. Until then...

Roger :thumbs:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Looking forward to developments with the arrival of your pending post, Roger (shaln’t venture ‘imminent arrival’ as they’ve had a couple of days strike action, I believe :rolleyes:).

Best,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The previously mentioned requirements for track repairs have now been taken care of and a double slip has been obtained. Yesterday saw an intensive couple of hours work, removing the damaged single slip followed by the installation of the new unit, the work being carried out jointly by LMSR and ROD teams. As an aside, the immediately obvious advantage of being able to access the military yard from the now slightly extended siding which formerly was only used as a loco and/or brake van 'park' whilst yard operations took place has allowed me increased interest, not to mention a greater element of simplicity in shunting trains at Whatborough Camp :). When the double slip was finally settled in place - it had it's moments of minor difficulty and frustration, resulting in the use of certain Anglo-Saxon phraseology :eek: - a running test was undertaken using the Whatborough Camp resident Johnson 1F 0-6-0T and some assorted wagons and I am pleased to say that all went well. Once more the scene was recorded of the little tank engine negotiating the new pointwork. On this occasion the pictures were obtained by the observer in an Army Air Corps 'Auster' which happened to be overflying the scene. I am grateful for the 'powers-that-be' for allowing me to use the pictures in these times of conflict ........remember it is the mid-forties in Whatborough Camp!

SAM_2244.JPG

SAM_2246.JPG

Now ballasting can commence - believe me, I was grateful that I had neglected this aspect when the need for this replacement reared its head - at least it reduced the time and cleaning up of the site considerably :).
Until next time,

Roger :thumbs:.

jonte

Western Thunderer
The previously mentioned requirements for track repairs have now been taken care of and a double slip has been obtained. Yesterday saw an intensive couple of hours work, removing the damaged single slip followed by the installation of the new unit, the work being carried out jointly by LMSR and ROD teams. As an aside, the immediately obvious advantage of being able to access the military yard from the now slightly extended siding which formerly was only used as a loco and/or brake van 'park' whilst yard operations took place has allowed me increased interest, not to mention a greater element of simplicity in shunting trains at Whatborough Camp :). When the double slip was finally settled in place - it had it's moments of minor difficulty and frustration, resulting in the use of certain Anglo-Saxon phraseology :eek: - a running test was undertaken using the Whatborough Camp resident Johnson 1F 0-6-0T and some assorted wagons and I am pleased to say that all went well. Once more the scene was recorded of the little tank engine negotiating the new pointwork. On this occasion the pictures were obtained by the observer in an Army Air Corps 'Auster' which happened to be overflying the scene. I am grateful for the 'powers-that-be' for allowing me to use the pictures in these times of conflict ........remember it is the mid-forties in Whatborough Camp!

View attachment 172763

View attachment 172765

Now ballasting can commence - believe me, I was grateful that I had neglected this aspect when the need for this replacement reared its head - at least it reduced the time and cleaning up of the site considerably :).
Until next time,

Roger :thumbs:.

Well done, Roger.

Very pleased to read it was all worth the ‘aggro’ in the end:thumbs:

I’m always grateful for small mercies on these occasions like your good self, in relation to the postponement of that mind-numbingly boring job of ballasting :(

Enjoy the 1F a little more before doing so ;)

Best wishes,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Following a number of reasons, many of them of personal nature, plus the fact that there seems to be a falling interest in this thread, I have decided to terminate postings on progress. For those who have shown an interest and been kind enough to comment in the past, my sincere thanks - your encouragement was always very welcome.

Whatborough Camp will continue to thrive, housed in an 8' x 6' garden shed where my imaginary world will reign supreme in the mid-nineteen-forties and I can play trains and war-games. Call in by pm any time, should you wish. The thread is now closed.

Cheers,

Roger