Wheel generator

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
I have been using Autodesk Fusion 360 to create a wheel generator, you pop in the table the parameters you need such diameter, spokes, crank throw, spoke on spoke or between etc. and the wheel in generated which can be exported as a 3D print, tyres need to be sourced, but I designed some Manning Wardle wheels some time ago which Modelu printed and were fitted to Exactoscale tyres.table.JPG 9F2.jpg Peckett wheels axle v3.png wheels 5.JPG

JimG

Western Thunderer
I've been fighting my way through Fusion 360 in the last few weeks and you've just made me search out User Parameters on Google - maybe later. :):)

Jim.

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
2019-03-23.png Fusion 360 Tutorials

The above is a link to some very straightforward learning videos and material that I have been using for a week. I have just managed a couple of buffer drawings so far but aim to get more sorted now I have bought a resin 3D printer thing.
Hope they are of use.
Just changed the Craven LBSCR Bottle type buffer drawing to a new one as I had noticed I had the washers and nuts on a slightly different plane. Just sorted it out this morning. Now to try a Brighton oil lamp housing and a chimney etc.
Cheers
Ian in Blackpool2019-03-13 (3).png View attachment 101049

Last edited:

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
Well, I just printed my first buffer, the Craven LB&SCR bottle shaped thing. I used a resolution of 0.035mm for the z-axis and I printed 8 of them in one hour and three minutes. I am very pleased with the Anycubic Photon printer. I shall have to get busy now with the other parts needed! The base is 8.6mm square and the web around the nut is 0.2mm thickness. Cheers Ian in Blackpool99 cropped.jpg

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
So, I am following Mike Trice's advice regarding printing at 0.035 per layer and now using a grey resin. 7mm at left, 4mm at right. Soon have some Craven carriages completed at long last! 20190401_225213.jpg
And am still learning how to use the software but I have a Minerva Manning Wardle so play time!
20190402_182109.jpg
Needs a bit of tweeking - I forgot to put slots in for the safety valve levers, but I'm learning!
Cheers Ian

Last edited:

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
lamp top bung.jpg lamp top.jpg
Continuing to be impressed by the resolution that this machine can produce. The holes in the top of the side of the lamp cover are 0.2mm diameter and the handle on the top of the lamp bung is a bit less than that in thickness. Both 7mm scale. Surprisingly strong once UV cured.
This is using a different manufacturers resin - Elegoo Rapid Resin. Selling on Amazon for just over £15 for a 500ml bottle with the discount coupon. And these were painted white so just a bit of weathering to add!
The downside of this is all the possibilities this is creating in my head and so I now have a fairly long list of bits to try. Its a real brain workout this 3D CAD business as well! There's a Monty Python line there somewhere!
Cheers Ian in Blackpool - modelling the 1870's LB&SCR.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
David

Those look really good. I may have missed this, but how do the wheel rims attach? Not like Sharmans which were molded...I really am surprised this hasn't been more popular. I've just taken delivery of a GWR 15xx kit, this requires four ft seven drivers pin in line and a twelve inch throw. The only wheels that are accurate - are no longer available and there isn't anyone else - of our great wheel suppliers - who does these.
Just wondering if this is something you'd be interested in? I may be speaking out of turn, if so, then apologies. I model in P4...if that makes a difference. I see Ultrascale are now offering rims...

regards

Mike

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike
I use Gibson tyres, the centres are pressed in I have now added a number of small lugs on the outside of the centre which does hold the centre in the tyre a lot better. I can probably do bespoke centres and I now Bill Bedford does a number of tyres too now. To be fair I do need a sample of the tyre before I can design these as the fit does vary with different types of resin.
David

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ian,

That, too, is a useful posting. I had no idea Sharman wheels were back. I can (finally - it's been 15 years) finish my second Saxon 4-6-0.

Result. :thumbs:

Steph

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
This may be one of those Covid opportunities where either they have gone through the stock boxes and found things or have spent some time making some new ones. Either way it was very welcome to discover them back on sale and I managed to get some that I needed too. Cheers Ian

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ian,

I hadn't thought of that, but did notice their hint at limited production due to mould life. This evening's job is therefore to work out what my future needs are likely to be and get them ordered, hopefully before they disappear again.

Steph

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
IMG_0288.jpg IMG_0287.jpg IMG_0287.jpg I have slightly revised the 3D Peckett wheels they will now be printed in a different resin which is much crisper than standard resin and has a different cure process as it is baked in the oven at 50 degrees, also I have made the wheels a good fit into the tyre so there should be no need to loctite or glue the centres into the tyre.

I will only make these wheels to fit standard Alan Gibson 3'1" wagon wheels as these although slightly under scale have a much thinner tyre face and look much finer than using a Alan Gibson bogie wheel which looks too chunky.

For P4 the axles you will need Alan Gibson 21.9mm he does three axle lengths (you will need to shorten in EM)

Prices are £8 for 5 wheels ( as this is the number I can fit on the short side of a print bed, it does give you a spare wheel to practice on or an extra if you cock one up!) plus £1.50 P&P

please email me at bigcheeseplant@googlemail.com if interested I am currently looking after my mum after a hip replacement so maybe a while till I am up to full production.

David

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Ian
I wouldn't rush to the website for Sharman wheels. They appear to have only one or two of each type in stock. At least that's the way it appeared to me when I went and looked to order wheels for the 15xx and another set for a Royal Scot, only one of each in stock. I gave up looking after that. By and large, when I buy a new kit, I order wheels, gearbox and motor at the same time. Gearbox and motor already on their way for the 15xx, hence the need for wheels. There are a lot of engines infront of this one, but to me it makes sense to be ready to go when you open the box.

When I looked in the Sharman wheel book, it was listed as 4 ft 7.5 inch, pin in line and 12 inch throw. I shall have to check, if I can find where I left the book!

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Steph
That's news to me. I'd taken this book as gospel. I'd rather not have to pay for a set of drawings of the wheel - if they exist - where would you look to find such critical info? Please don't think I'm being churlish, I just wouldn't know where to go from here.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Stay safe

Mike
PS. I'll give Wikipeda a miss. :)