Wheels for 03 & 04 shunters?

daifly

Western Thunderer
An example of this might be the GWR 14xx/48xx kit which is currently produced by Mercian, Warren Shephard, Springside, Scorpio and MOK - all different qualities at different price-points and also in competition with the RTR version!

alcazar

I was thinking larger locos:
9F: DJH, MOK and TWO rtr brass ones.

A4: DJH, Piercey, Ace, Acorn (from ACE), Finney.

Yet try and get anyone interested in small shunters? Nope...no market, too much risk of duplication!

And what was probably THE largest class on BR? The 08's. Who makes models? MMP and maybe one other......

adrian

Flying Squad
I was thinking larger locos:
9F: DJH, MOK and TWO rtr brass ones.

And what was probably THE largest class on BR? The 08's. Who makes models? MMP and maybe one other......

Actually I count 4 models of the 08, MMP, JLTRT, Agenoria and RTR from Dapol. You may dispute the Dapol entry as it's not been released yet but you started it by including MOK in your 9F list as that hasn't been released either.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Actually I count 4 models of the 08, MMP, JLTRT, Agenoria and RTR from Dapol. You may dispute the Dapol entry as it's not been released yet but you started it by including MOK in your 9F list as that hasn't been released either.

Please Sir - I have an RTR 08 from Bachmann too - in green, here, now! Actually, I have three - anyone want to buy one?

adrian

Flying Squad
Please Sir - I have an RTR 08 from Bachmann too - in green, here, now! Actually, I have three - anyone want to buy one?

but is the Bachmann 08 still available new? I thought that the build run had finished so it's only the secondhand market now.

daifly

Western Thunderer
but is the Bachmann 08 still available new? I thought that the build run had finished so it's only the secondhand market now.

True - but they do exist - unlike the Dapol one. That was my point. If you wanted a Bachmann 08 it wouldn't be much of a challenge to lay your hands on one.

S

SteveO

Back to wheels, or more specifically, bearings – what are the dimensions of Slaters loco wheel bearings? Also, do they come in different depths? Dimensions for the sleeve, collar and depth would be great.

S

SteveO

Cheers Mick. It's the ones you get in a set of loco wheels, not the wagon wheel variety. Cheers!

adrian

Flying Squad
When I measured the insulated horn blocks from Slaters I drew up the brass bearing as well. Hopefully this may help, dimensions are in mm.

slaters_bearing.png

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Steve,

If you are considering a "decent" kit with "decent" wheels... and you are prepared to work with Slaters on the introduction of a suitable wheel for the Class 03, have you considered asking Slaters to produce a wheel with a scale / accurate tyre? Given that the back to back for Slater's driving wheels is set by the distance between the shoulders of the axle then such a request would give a finescale appearance for a 0F wheelset when used with the 0F axle... and wheels which would be suitable for S7 when used with the S7 driving axle.

I recollect that Brian Lewis used S7 profile wheels with 0F axles for stock running on his last 7mm layout.

S

SteveO

That's an interesting thought, but unfortunately I don't have any control over the stock tyres, simply the plastic inserts.* I would imagine, given some demand, David would introduce a Scale 7 version.

We spoke today actually and things are progressing nicely. I asked for a lead time and he said around six weeks – I was honestly expecting months!

*An interesting development was decided today to get around the potential non-flush balance weights issue. David W is lovely man to talk to.

littlelococompany.jpg

adrian

Flying Squad
I recollect that Brian Lewis used S7 profile wheels with 0F axles for stock running on his last 7mm layout.
You do surprise me - given his vitriolic comments about S7 on various e-groups even if he had used S7 profile I doubt he'd have divulged that fact to any living soul.

JimG

Western Thunderer
You do surprise me - given his vitriolic comments about S7 on various e-groups even if he had used S7 profile I doubt he'd have divulged that fact to any living soul.

I also remember Brian saying that some time ago. IIRC, he was using 31mm gauge and 1mm flangeway gaps so he had to use the Scale7 tyre profile to get through pointwork. I do remember getting an earful when I suggested he should have just gone Scale7 and be done with it. :)

Jim.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Top hat bearing dimensions, do not scale LOL No idea where they came from, some already in kits some from other sources long forgotten, it seems that all top hat bearings are not equal.

Image1.jpg
I prefer the lower one with the larger flange for my cack handed method of CSB, the top one would be fine if soldered to the frames as the thin flange is merely a placeholder.

S

SteveO

Thanks Mick. Which one of those is Slaters? I'm guessing the top one.

Steph, the kits I've bought were designed for Slaters bearings, but were latterly supplied with Markits bearings to take advantage of a significant cost difference. It just so happens that Markits bearings have a slightly smaller 'socket' part, so were a loose fit and the cause of one or two complaints from builders. I don't have the budget to redraw the artwork for the initial release so I will recommend Slaters to avoid any problems with bearing slop.