Wheels query

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Hi all
The massive sort through of materials continues, although more floor than models is now showing. I found two bags of wheels, completely unmarked. I would appreciate thoughts as to whether my thoughts are correct.

IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG

These two pictures are I feel wheels for a WD 2-8-0, dimensionally they accord with Mr Sharman.

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG
These I'm not so sure of. The pony wheels are 3'2" and 3'8", the drivers 6' 0", and the tender discs 4'0" . Now given that my friend believed the centre of the universe was Darlington, I think an LNER prototype is most likely. and the only sensible suggestions are either P2 or V2. Not enough drivers for the P2, but disc wheels on a V2 tender, Mike Sharman suggests it happened but Willie Yeadon make no mention and I don't have the relevant RCTS volume to hand. Therefore does anyone disagree with my suggestion.
Kind regards
Martin

richard carr

Western Thunderer
LNER V2 drivers were 6 feet 2 inches, a B1 had 6 foot drivers and I'm certain that some group standard tenders would have had disc wheels.

Richard

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Thanks Richard, but B1's were 6'2" as well, besides the wheels I have aren't logically suited to a B1.
The quoted dimension is as new, a few tyre turnings would have made it 6' eventually, so I'm not too bothered about that particular variable. Good to know about the tenders.
Regards
Martin

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
I'd go along with your first one about the WD.

On the second set of wheels you may have a bit of a red herring as IIRC it was only the large passenger locos (A1-4s and P2s) that had 8 wheeled tenders, so could the driving wheels have been for a V class tank loco and the tender wheels for a A class loco tender? Or a Diesel?

OzzyO.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Ozzy
I found the Isinglass drawing for the group standard tender, which tells me that the wheels could be disc or spoke 3' 9" diameter. The wheels I have are 4' 0" and with a quantity of eight suggests they are for a pacific/P2 tender, even though for that genus they should be 4' 2". The loco wheels you correctly point out could fit a V1/3 or indeed a V2. Considering that I acquired kits for both engines complete with wheels I'm perplexed, and now unable to answer, why these were bought. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Regards
Martin

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
The only loco's I can think of with 6'-0" drivers were LMS Stanier cl 5 and HR Ben's the spoke number and pin position is correct for the latter.

LNER V1 had 5'-8" drivers and I believe they were 18 spoke.

Col.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Of course eastside your correct, no good for a V1, however your suggestion of a black five, I presume you mean that rather than a Jubilee, might be interesting. I'll have a look at something tomorrow, could well be a light bulb moment.
Regards
Martin

JimG

Western Thunderer
The only loco's I can think of with 6'-0" drivers were LMS Stanier cl 5 and HR Ben's the spoke number and pin position is correct for the latter.

LNER V1 had 5'-8" drivers and I believe they were 18 spoke..

Also some of the Pickersgill Classes on the Caledonian - 6' 0" and 6' 1"

Jim

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Well thank you Eastsidepilot for shining a light. A closer examination of the driving wheels revealed that apart from being 6' 0", they had 19 spokes with crankpin inbetween. Absolutely spot on for a black five. Ah ha I thought, got one of those, eventually the box was located and opened,

IMG_0151.JPG

to reveal the loco but no replacement wheels, except for the ones now identified. The tender wheels are obviously LNER and the pony wheels likely so. Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread, your help is appreciated.
Regards
Martin

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Nice, Stephenson valve gear Black 5.

You'll have fun knitting that lot back together again after you've fitted the new wheels!

Steph

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph
Yeah sure looks like a pain, thankfully it's back in its box to await it's turn. I'm hoping that the return crank is fixed by something more engineering based than solder. Looking at it there's something not right about the reversing rod,expansion link, eccentrics, they all seem too high.
Regards
Martin