1/32 Workbench

Discussion in 'WR Action' started by 28ten, 30 December 2010.

1. Ressaldar

Ressaldar Western Thunderer

I think a possible way to get the efflorescence effect, would be to apply a weak pva solution over an area and 'throw' talc on it, that way you should get the 3d effect of the crystals - don't ley SWMBO see you taking her talc though!

cheers

Mike

2. Old Buffer

Old Buffer Western Thunderer

Perfect, no more to say.
    Alan

3. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

Nothing like an hour hacking up expensive bits of resin :))
    IMG_4376.JPG

This shows the characteristic bits flapping look - just enough to add a bit of character
    IMG_4377.JPG

D1054 likes this.
  4. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

that is a BIG piece of resin

5. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

It is small next to a Warship :eek:

IMG_4379.JPG

D1054 likes this.
  6. D1054

D1054 Western Thunderer

Gerrawwaaayyy..... That's a photo of a REAL wall in the back streets of Brizzle!

7. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

Assuming there are no schoolboy errors :) the etch is good to go. beams, spare bolster and a CSB, it should be a straight replacement for the kit item.
    etch.JPG

8. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

And in tonights instalment of the crazy world, the first filter has gone on followed by a light wash.
    CRW_4380.jpg

9. alcazar

alcazar Guest

What on earth is that? Looks like half a dozer.......

10. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

Back end of a forklift :)

11. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

I has been years since I tackled anything rusty, but in preparation for a rusty tank I thought I had better start to practice, Probably worth a 4/10, but it is going in the right direction and a great deal was learned for the next practice run.
    The grey is too worn and faded rather than chipped and one of the washes was a little strong, but the colour pallet is not far off. Rusty experts feel free to pick at it :)

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

12. Old Buffer

Old Buffer Western Thunderer

Not an expert, but the first piccy looks ok, it's about as filthy, chipped and rusty as I remember them, some were worse than others. Not much more or you will go OTT.
    Alan

13. adrian

adrian Flying Squad

Again no expert here either because I'd be chuffed to get results as good as this. My comment would be texture, or lack of it. I'm useless with colours but it seems a bit flat, a little more texture and peeling to suggest bubbling rust would finish it off nicely.

14. Dan Randall

Dan Randall Western Thunderer

That looks like pretty good rust to me Cynric!

Regards

Dan

15. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

I agree with Adrian, it is too flat, but I know how to overcome that :) some further experimentation ay 5am (!) has given some better peeling effects. On the plus side the colour pallet looks ok in daylight, mind you I do wonder why we bother about daylight when models are mostly viewed in artificial light.....

16. Phill Dyson

Phill Dyson Western Thunderer

I agree the colours are spot on, but more texture would be good :cool:

What paints are you using ?

17. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

It is vallejo acrylic sprayed on, hairspray,salt, and some oils for pin washes. I shall be using some talc for a bit of texture on the next test piece

18. Pugsley

Pugsley Western Thunderer

Nice! As others have said, the colouring is spot on, it's just lacking a bit of texture.

19. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

An unflattering shot of the first stages of weathering the forklift, the paint wear needs toning down, then the oily bits need doing, remember this is only 2 1/2 inches long in 1/35......
    IMG_4404-1.JPG

Rob Pulham likes this.
  20. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

The postie delivered knocked on the door with this today
    IMG_4427.JPG

15 seconds later :))

IMG_4426.JPG

I have lost count of the etches I have done but I still get excited when a new one arrives :cool: no problems with this it all folds up nicely and is invisible behind the bogie casting.