122 Dmu

Simon

Flying Squad
Measured volume of rubber poured into pot, 5% by weight of catalyst added, time to stir vigorously.

poured 001.jpg

Stirred until even light blue colour achieved, poured into mould (amount determined by weight of mould box and mould as poured in) Bum, miscalculation, mix up additional amount of rubber, vigorous stirring, pour into mould. Also poured mould for buffer housings, GW style spring/hangers and my olde worlde coache spring, less de gassing this time, so hopfully no "frills" on mould:rolleyes:

Here are the various pours, sitting on the level bit of wood to cure. I can't really believe the poured mould won't stick to the mould, despite the careful nay liberal application of release agent. Tomorrow will tell:eek:

poured 002.jpg

As an aside, I de-gassed the second mix in the pot before pouring rather than once poured into the mould box.

This displayed the "text book" behaviour of foaming up and then collapsing bubbles under vacuum and I expect is how I ought to do this in the future.

I "test de-gassed" the spring mould so poured and didn't get any more bubbles.

Simon

Neil

Western Thunderer
No crossed fingers required, the mould release agent is good stuff. Sometimes the second pour will creep past the edge of the first between it and the mould box and will require a degree of firmness to part, but the rest of the mould should part with no problems.

Simon

Flying Squad
The rubber plug mould worked well, pulling out of the mould treated with release agent absolutely perfectly as Neil predicted. Here it is on its own and then sat next to the "other half" of the mould.

DSCN8829.JPGDSCN8828.JPG

I then calculated the volume of the cast by putting water into the pink "female" mould, inserting the new plug mould into the cavity until it was in the right position and then taking it out and pouring the water left into a measuring jug. The volume came to about 75cc.

I thought, I pondered, I considered delaying and then I dried the mould with kitchen paper and a session with Lesley's hairdryer and headed for the shed.....

Simon

Flying Squad
Down the shed, protective covering put on workbench, nitrile gloves on and out with the resin.

Poured out into two ex Bristol University library plastic water cups (with Eddy the porter's help I collected a lifetime's supply from the recycling bags when I worked there) marked for volume, one poured into the other, mixed up with a stick, poured into mould (strengthened by plastikard "cheeks" masking taped on to two of its sides), fine detail poked with fine wire through resin to try and clear any bubbles, inner plug mould inserted and held in position by hand until the resin started to "gloop". I'd mixed too much (about 80cc I think) and so had to "comb" excess resin off the top of the mould until it was sitting fairly level. After the resin had solidified a bit more I could remove my fingers and look at the result, still not cured so I set about cleaning up all the spilled resin from my plastic sheet (old "soapy" finish carrier bag opened out) covered workbench.

When I'd finished I took the plunge and removed the cast from the outer mould....

DSCN8830.JPG

Looking quite promising I think, I'm going to let the resin go of for another hour or so before taking it out, the first stage of which will be removing the plastikard core from the rubber plug mould.

It will be interesting to see just how accurately I got my "pads" to register with the various openings, you can see some blue colour behind the resin in and around the windows and I think there are grounds for optimism on this point.

Of course what can't be seen is whether there are any unhelpful voids or air bubbles, although the surface detail has all been picked up perfectly as far as I can see.

I'm off out tonight and will see what it's like later, but on the whole I'm very chuffed with the results so far:)

Simon

Yippeeeee!!!!!!

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon, I've found this all very exciting and I think the first cast is looking extremely good. You've just got to tell me, why are the buffers labelled 'cheeky'?

Cheers

Tom

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Fantastic. That's hugely impressive.

Now, etched sides, vac formed roof, resin cast underframe components and seats.......

I'll put my name down for one.

Well done:thumbs:

Richard