D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Don't know if I will resist :rolleyes: (I really really want the Western if they don't drop any major clangers) .........but the Brush 2 does look very good to me:thumbs:

I wonder if there is any provision for DCC on this one ?

I think I would wait for the Western as well. ( but the 31 does look nice. )

Roger

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
..........you people never heard of files, sandpaper & filler ? :rolleyes: :D;):))

Yeah, dont you have to join the Army or something to learn how to use them:drool:

I think if it gets to the point where you have to stare really hard at bits and aren't sure, and get the micrometers out, then in my book it's not worth getting too worked up over.

Of course in some places, they call that nitpicking;)

28ten

Guv'nor
Mmmm... :drool:

Must admit though, the centre windscreen looks a tad too shallow, depth-wise, but possibly the prismatic glazing is exaggerating that impression..?
I agree. The point is that it is the 'face' of the model and as such needs to be as accurate as possible. Heaven help us if they do that sort of thing on the Western .....

28ten

Guv'nor
Can I pick some nits? Plastic buffer heads are a bit chunky, and are the rivets on the side really that prominent? I donk know much about 31s so I could be totally wrong :)

28ten

Guv'nor
I think I agree with you.

How hard do you think it will be to get rid of the waist band?
Files and sanding strips........ actually the 'porthole' thingy (dunno what it is :oops: ) is also a bit chunky. I would say that in general the sides look a little unrefined, but then I guess all the CAD and moulding is done by somebody who doesnt know a 31 from the space shuttle and in trying to make the details visible they become a caricature.
The horizontal band is rather like a boiler band on a steam loco and the best way of representing that is with a waterslide strip.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
There are a number of annoying issues such as the rivets and poor plastic being used for the glazing. But to me the model doesn't look quite right. It's hard to identify exactly what is wrong is it. I think the cab face is completely flat. The drivers and secondman's side should be ever so slightly angled. The central part of the cab with the tiny window should be flat, but it looks as it the whole front is flat.

Looks like another close but miles off model for HJ. I've dropped an email to Howes but not heard anything yet. However, I tend to think any changes made now would only be minor and nothing major to the body tool would be done. One can hope.
:(

Tom

28ten

Guv'nor
as I also proposed that a 'budget' loco which had an accurate body but without all the details fitted might go down well with ones like myself who grew up detailing plastic Lima & Hornby OO models in the 80's, and would quite like to do the same in 7mm these days....

I think most people would be happy with a non budget model with an accurate body :))
Seriously, it is one thing that always gets me about rtr (and kits), get the shape and form is correct and stuff the working fans, lights etc they can be added, but fundamental errors require major reworking.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
"Undecorated" locos are often offered in the US manufacturer's ranges; after all there are so many Railroad Companies and possible detail variations even on one loco type that it would be impossible to cover all of them.
I too once suggested that "undecorated" R-T-R British diesels might be a viable option, but was generally dismissed, as I also proposed that a 'budget' loco which had an accurate body but without all the details fitted might go down well with ones like myself who grew up detailing plastic Lima & Hornby OO models in the 80's, and would quite like to do the same in 7mm these days....
Again my impression was that people thought I was talking nonsense, and should just get used to brass kits and high prices....
Well not quite everybody Jordan........I have been banging my head against that particular brick wall for quite a few years too ;)