7mm IGA Cargowaggon Flat (Appleby Model Engineering)

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hello,

I've been beavering away on/off and the IGA is now build-complete. All the brass details on the ends were my own additions:
  1. the handrails;
  2. the extra triangles at the bottom of the vertical support beams;
  3. the hoops;
  4. the continental style lamp irons;
  5. the coupling holder, and;
  6. the document holders.
I also made the pivot holder on the side of the wagon from some left-over etch and brass pipe. The workers who unload these take out a big lump of metal (crow bar style) which allows them to undo all the ratchets. I also drilled a small hole in each ratchet where this pipe would be inserted. Not hugely noticeable now, but when it's weathered it'll allow a place for the wash end up in and be nice and obvious. When it comes to weathering and painting I'm going to use some of the military modellers techniques. Whilst searching I found this fantastic wood grain etched brass mask. The idea is that you paint a light wood colour first, apply the mask and spray a darker wood colour. It's produced by RB Productions(Ireland) who also do a whole range of useful etched tools and the like. The piece of 0.8mm black tape will be used to secure whatever steel load I end up putting on it.

Complete IGA sml.jpg
Complete IGA side sml.jpg
Complete IGA end sml.jpg
docket holder sml.jpg
ratchet holder sml.jpg
RB Productions mask sml.jpg

I tweaked the bogies slightly to make more accurate. The end cross bars were filed back so that they are flush with the bogie sides. The bottom of the bogie side cut back to be in line with the wheel profile, and the corners were filled with solder and sanded to the curved shape. I bought some German wheels which had a closer face profle than anything on the market over here. But the profile was a bit dodgy and no bearings were available over here. But JimG came to the rescue and very kindly reprofiled the axle ends and made up some bearings to fit.

bogie sml.jpg
bogie side sml.jpg
bogie end sml.jpg

Lastly, just to show what a whopper the IGA is, here is is dwarfing the HJ 33.
IGA Size b sml.jpg
IGA size a sml.jpg

Now, just need some decent weather to come so I can pop outside and get some paint on it.

Cheers

Tom

JimG

Western Thunderer
I bought some German wheels which had a closer face profle than anything on the market over here. But the profile was a bit dodgy and no bearings were available over here. But JimG came to the rescue and very kindly reprofiled the axle ends and made up some bearings to fit.

Tom,

I wondered what the prototype might be when messing around with the wheels and axles. That is a hefty wagon and it looks excellent.:)

Jim.

AJC

Western Thunderer
That's a seriously imposing wagon - it has the same quality as GW 70' coaches; you always feel there's more vehicle there than seems reasonable. A really nice clean build though, very nice.

Adam

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the kind compliments. Nice as it looks in brass I want to get some paint on it:)

Cheers

Tom

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Tom,

The Cargo waggon looks great:thumbs:. Very nicely built.:bowdown:.

Do you have a list of products from Appleby that you could post on here.?

Rob:)

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Tom

yes 1984 is the upper end of my time period, so I could have one. It is a most impressive wagon.

Richard

:D You need a few Richard. I've building another at the moment but won't repeat the build here. Next instalment will be my painting and weathering techniques. I'm a big fan of AK-Interactive products:cool:...

Cheers

Tom

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Great job Tom, that's a really impressive wagon! :thumbs:

...You might just be needing to widen the radius of any curves on your layout! :eek:

Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Colin

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi,

It's been far too long since I've updated this but all sorts of things have been taking place. One such thing is getting some paint on the IGA. I've decided to try a different approach having visited a few military model shows and invested in some Vallejo paints and AK Interactive weathering products. There are two main differences to conventional model railway painting. The first is the use of Baroque techniques used by artists such as Rembrandt. In modelling terms this is known as colour modulation. By using light and dark to exaggerate the details and different surfaces the model takes on depth and contrast. Although it's artificial it does a good job of making the model more realistic in my view. I have highlight the recessed areas black which will darken the blue on those parts. I will also use about 5 different shades of blue to provide tonal contrast on the different surfaces of the wagon.
IGA PIC 1.jpg
IGA PIC 7.jpg

The second is to incorporate the weathering into the painting. I have painted various shades of brown onto the ends and side stanchions before the main blue colour. Tomorrow I shall apply some AK Interactive worn effects solution on these areas before I spray the blue. A short while after the blue goes on, take an old toothbrush and start rubbing away. The result reveals the rust colour.

I also wanted to make represent the grain on the wooden planks on the deck. I'm still developing this but I've used an etch wood mask and Daler & Rowney artists inks. I'm planning on using a little thinned Indian ink to add the grey hue that worn wood on wagons takes on. The first time I used a base brown that was too light for my liking. It looked more like plywood than hard wood to me.
IGA PIC 2.jpg
IGA PIC 3.jpg
But the advantage of using ink meant that I could simply wipe off the wood grain and spray a darker base brown on. I decided to leave 2 light planks to represent replaced planks. The Indian ink will tone them down enough to blend in but still be lighter than the rest.
IGA PIC 4.jpg
IGA PIC 5.jpg

Bogies are rarely black. So I started with a very dark grey as for the base colour. Various shades of grey will be used and then some light browns for weathering. The rust colour on the wheels is probably too light but when it's running it'll be enough to show them up. These are the wheels that Jim on here kindly re-profiled for me.
IGA PIC 6.jpg
More to follow soon.
Cheers

Tom

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Yes Tom,

Excellent work and very interesting how your approaching this:thumbs:

I too am looking forward to the next installment;)

Rob:)