Albion Yard & Others

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
I have probably missed it, apologies if I have, but what's the overall length of the scenic section of shelfie 4? I have just viewed your latest posting on Albion yard, the layout is looking really very good!
Mark

PMP

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
I have probably missed it, apologies if I have, but what's the overall length of the scenic section of shelfie 4? I have just viewed your latest posting on Albion yard, the layout is looking really very good!
Mark
EE4AC991-130D-4334-8A3A-F03057C24CC1.jpeg
Thanks Mark, the overall scenic length is 6ft, and a 3ft flying fiddleyard, which is just two sections of plain track.
E45CDAE3-1809-4E12-84B2-8D101826AA79.jpeg
B06150BF-D205-45FF-AE24-86A736873612.jpeg
The backscene is not actually seen as the rear and ends are blocked with structures.

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul
Many thanks for replying to my enquiry and the pictures.
Food for thought!
Thanks again.
Mark

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul
I have just enjoyed viewing your progress on Shelfie 4, I wonder, could you tell me please, you have some lovely rolling stock and locos (Rapido?), do you purchase them from the USA/Canada or is there a supplier nearer home?
Many thanks
Mark

PMP

Western Thunderer
@MarkR
I’ve primarily bought from Canada and the states. There’s not much in the way of uk retailers these days, but Rails and Ellis Clark often have good second hand stuff available, and are worth looking at regularly. I think Rapido Uk are open to supplying their stuff, stuff might be worth dropping an email.

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your reply, I do check Rails ebay shop regularly, and have brought several items from them, their service is excellent. I tend to associate Ellis Clark with 7mm, so I will check them out. Since the demise of Model Junction in Slough, there is as you say, little chance of sourcing American HO in the UK.
Mark

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your reply, I do check Rails ebay shop regularly, and have brought several items from them, their service is excellent. I tend to associate Ellis Clark with 7mm, so I will check them out. Since the demise of Model Junction in Slough, there is as you say, little chance of sourcing American HO in the UK.
Mark
The loss of Model Junction was a huge blow (although my wallet heaved a sigh of relief!) in addition to those already mentioned you could also try Gaugemaster and Invicta Model Rail which is (was) run by one of the guys from The Signalbox, Rochester where there was always an interesting North American selection.
I've used both at various times and though mainly in person both offer mail order and new product pre-orders.

Vaughan45

Mech Models in Burton on Trent have a growing range of USA HO & N scales, I have used them on several occasions. Last time I pre-ordered some new release items from Rapido in Canada, on release they sent all the items headed for the UK destinations in one consignment and they were repacked / posted from a location within the UK.

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Many thanks for your suggestions, I have just remembered, The American Railroad Centre in Bodmin is a UK source of American HO.
Mark

PMP

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the replies with Uk sources, they’ll be useful in due course. I forgot to mention Anoraks Anonymous too who also are pretty good for used stock.
5303D63C-0498-412B-8D04-A87B02C64175.jpeg
As final prep for Larkrail I’ve been adding to the weathering on the boxcars. The two switchers will get a toning down too.
01352D0F-3802-4EFF-94E4-2533A3DF1BF3.jpeg

steve50

Western Thunderer
They look good, do you weather them the same way as UK stock? I've seen some youtube videos weathering box cars and wondered if the same methods could be used on vans etc.

PMP

Western Thunderer
They look good, do you weather them the same way as UK stock? I've seen some youtube videos weathering box cars and wondered if the same methods could be used on vans etc.
Yup, exactly the same methodology and materials. Because the HO stuff is a smaller scale than OO, I’m careful in making sure I don’t go too crazy with the effects to keep rust patches and streaks etc in proportion if that makes sense.

Last edited:

PMP

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
How wide is the Maple River baseboard?
Many thanks
Mark
Hi Mark
The depth is roughly 14”. The view above lengthwise of the scenic work shows the maximum depth/width of the layout board. The backscene support is a wooden batten of around 1 inch thickness. It sits upon ikea Kalax storage units with around 2cm clearance (not overhanging) in the mancave.
8AABA2B8-C4C3-481A-8FB6-BF2F675E2608.jpeg

7CF73A1F-93A5-435C-A8A9-C947699941B6.jpeg

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark
The depth is roughly 14”. The view above lengthwise of the scenic work shows the maximum depth/width of the layout board. The backscene support is a wooden batten of around 1 inch thickness. It sits upon ikea Kalax storage units with around 2cm clearance (not overhanging) in the mancave.
Hi Paul,
My apologies for not acknowledging your post, I have only just read it!!!
A lovely layout, and much food for thought! Many thanks for the pictures.
Mark

Reactions: PMP