Boris' Workbench

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
It's starting to look the part!  Are you going to incorporate some way of ensuring that the bufferbeam is square in the etch design?

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hi Pugsley, yes, the etches will be nice and true (unlike my plastic bodgings!).

Made some more progress today. A titanium tooth graft first thing this morning made me a bit sore, so I carved up some more plastic to take my mind off it....... very satisfying. :wave:

Anyway, here's a few more shots of the progress. Seems to be taking shape ok, and I was very pleased with how the tank dropped into the frames.

I phoned Graham at Northants Models yesterday and he sent me through some nice buffers too! Arrived this morning and I think they're a reasonable match, as I'll let you see over the next day or so. Let me know what you think.
Just need to load the springs now to drop her down a bit and take on some weight, then on to the brake gear, me thinks.

Attachments

• Clayliner Progress - Sprung and tank fitted #2.jpg
    Clayliner Progress - Sprung and tank fitted #2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Clayliner Progress - Sprung and tank fitted #3.jpg
    Clayliner Progress - Sprung and tank fitted #3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Clayliner Progress - Sprung and tank fitted.jpg
    Clayliner Progress - Sprung and tank fitted.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Now thats looking IMPRESSIVE :bowdown: :bowdown:. Is this to be a template for the etchings or are the etchings to be added?.
Also noticed the UCV clay open , who's kit is that? I have just finished building my second and now there ready for primer. They were altered from a Coopercraft/Slaters kit dia 04.

Look forward to the next installment :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

This is just a plasticard mock-up I'm putting together from the artwork I'm doing for the etches for the whole kit. I'm making a full rake (there were 18 of these originally, plus a further two made in the early 1970's), and were usually Western hauled china clay slurries to the Bowater Paper Mill at Sittingbourne in Kent.

The artwork for the etches is now being further developed and checked over before sending off for the first trial run and build. This will be quite detailed,but I'msure willnot be in the class Mr Parkin ;) :bowdown:

The UCV is just a second hand Slaters kit which I finished off and painted as a condemned vehicle I saw and photographed at Swindon.

Cheers :wave:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Just another update on the Clayliner.....and a request, please :wave:

Can anyone out there help me get my hands on a Tower Warship Cl 42/43 kit?

Attachments

• Clayliner Decked.jpg
    Clayliner Decked.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Clayliner Progress #1.jpg
    Clayliner Progress #1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 3
  • Clayliner Progress #2.jpg
    Clayliner Progress #2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1054 said:
Can anyone out there help me get my hands on a Tower Warship Cl 42/43 kit?
Why not ask DJH or Tower if they have any plans for another batch :wave:
Very nice work on the Clayliner BTW  :bowdown:

D1054

Western Thunderer
I contacted DJH who said they didn't do the Warship, and pointed me to Tower.... but I note that DJH still advertise a factory built version so they presumably still have access to a kit or two, or they have completed loco's in stock???

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1054 said:
I contacted DJH who said they didn't do the Warship, and pointed me to Tower.... but I note that DJH still advertise a factory built version so they presumably still have access to a kit or two, or they have completed loco's in stock???
Seems a great shame for such a nice kit to fall by the wayside  :(

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, well what can i say other than the clayliner looks SUPERB :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:. You have done a fantastic job. Well done that man ;D :thumbs:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments, gents.  I feel like I'm homing in on it now. Managed to knock up the ladders today, and the axlebox covers. Just need to add some top detail, brake pipes, brake gear and other sub-frame assemblies, lift hook eyes, tank weld seams.......  then it'll be off to the paintshop! (Along with the Hymek which will be going FYE!)

Did you notice a BFYE Heljan Hymek sold for £255 on Ebay today? Bargain IMHO.

Attachments

• Clayliner #1.jpg
    Clayliner #1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Clayliner #2.jpg
    Clayliner #2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Now thats a very impressive looking wagon Ian :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:. Have you thought about selling it as a kit once the etches are done?

D1054

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob,

Not really thought about selling commercially, but if there's interest then I suppose I could. I'd be interested in one or another of the Thunderers having a go at putting one together though... for the learning. I'm planning on having 25 sets of etches made, and will keep at least half for my own rake. If you'd like to try one, I'll send you one through and you can let me know what you think. :thumbs:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, yes i would be interested in building one. I have thought of having a few myself but thought scratch building at this moment in time would take up most of my time.  :thumbs:
Could you give me some more details of workings, how many in rakes, were they in mixed traffic or just on there own etc.
I cant seem to find any info :headbang:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Yes, Rob, I'm away from home for a few days at the moment, but when I'm back I'll send you some details. I can tell you that this wagon was specific to the China Clay slurry traffic between Cornwall and the Bowater Paper Mill at Sittingbourne in Kent. There were only 18 built originally, with a further two added in the 70's, and the were usually Western hauled (regularly double headed, too, I'm told - there's a great shot of a double-headed wizzo on this rake in one of the Western Heroes/Western Blues DVD range, but I can't remember which one - I'll check and let you know). Usually, all 18 or 20 were in the rake, although I can only assume there was an occasional one out of service from time to time. I've not knowingly seen any shots of these wagons in mixed traffic workings though.

Paul Brartletts website has some great prototype shots of the Diags TT039 and TT071 to which these relate.

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1007072.html

Cheers,

Ian.

D1054

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Thanks Ian, Right off to put my Wizzo dvd's on ,see if i can find the footage :drool: :thumbs:

LOL.......  yes, we all need our Wizzo fix every now and again!

Off to bid for a 47 on Ebay now.

Ian.