Prototype BR Mk.1 coaches

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Five images of the interior of Mk.1(s)...all taken at East Lancs Rly. on Maundy Thursday 2013. The first image is of W9356 - not sure about the remainder.

not sure 1.jpg

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Sure I remember them in the Mk 1's used on Sheffield Area 'Holiday Preview Trip' excursion rakes in the mid 70's.

I know what you mean, but I kind of meant the photographed ones appear to be a little more modern than the original covers. Those fitted at the original build seem to have a more fancy piercing pattern - very 1950s in style -though that doesn't discount the fact different works might have been provided with different batches and patterns.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Pikkies of the brake arrangement of a Mk.1 BG at the NRM. First the background... quoted from the Mk.1 Resources topic on this forum:-

Parked out back at the NRM last week (Easter 2013) was a Mk.1 BG, painted in mock LNWR livery and named "Valiant"... no number visible. What was surprising about this carriage was that the underframe was carried on Commonwealth bogies whilst the vacuum cylinder was supported in symmetric V-hangers with the brake pull rod going under rather than over, the bogie headstock / axles. This arrangement of brake gear is not meant to happen... and I cannot work out how the brake pull rod connects to the equalising fulcrums of the Commonwealth bogie.
The number was 81025, or 84025, or even 99782.

The BG was built by Cravens, see here:-
Mk.1-BG-NRM-0.jpg

What is unusual about this BG is that the brake arrangement is no longer conformant with what might be expected given the style and placement of the vacuum cylinder / V-hanger. Information from Bob-Reid is that the carriage was built with BR Standard bogies and that those bogies were retained throughout the revenue service... so the change to Commonwealth bogies is likely to have happened after withdrawal.
Mk.1-BG-NRM-1.jpg

Mk.1-BG-NRM-2.jpg
Commonwealth bogies were built with equalised brake gear and hence the brake pull rod ought to be above the bogie headstock... and above the brake cross-shaft... with an asymmetric V-hanger and vacuum cylinder outside of the cross-shaft / hanger. Not so here... the V-hanger and vacuum cylinder arrangement is that of a vehicle built with non-equalised BR Standard bogies.

Peering under the CW bogie reveals this:-
Mk.1-BG-NRM-7.jpg

Mk.1-BG-NRM-8.jpg

whilst looking over the CW bogie headstock shows:-
Mk.1-BG-NRM-10.jpg

Other interesting aspects of this vehicle:-
Mk.1-BG-NRM-3.jpg
Mk.1-BG-NRM-4.jpg
Mk.1-BG-NRM-5.jpg
Mk.1-BG-NRM-6.jpg

For comparison, here are some photos of the topside of CW bogies with the equalised brakegear... pullrod from brake cross-shaft over the headstock with two fulcrum levers per axle.

MK1-CW-bogie-1.jpg

MK1-CW-bogie-2.jpg

regards, Graham

Andrew Pickup

Some good photos of the CW braking system, which are difficult to find when you are modeling them. Now I realise that those two horizontal strips of steel/rubber are for the brake frame to slide over. I missed them off my model - maybe I can add them as a retro-fit.

I wish I had seen these photos earlier - makes understanding the drawings a lot easier.

mmm ... I also forgot to put all the rust and grime on my models!!:)

Any chance that I can use these photos when I write my construction book - in return for a copy of the book??

farnetti

Western Thunderer
Lovely photos Graham, and very helpful. I have already changed the equalising springs on mine after I found something nearer to the prototype.

Is that rail join(?) acceptable in 7mm though?

Ken