BR NPCSS diagrams

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The Barrowmore MRG does a great service for all of us by hosting a significant number of British Railways / British Rail diagram books. I think that there is a good chance that the collection available through the club website is not complete for I cannot find any reference to NPCSS other than some vehicles of LMSR origin.

What I am looking for are BR diagrams 800 and 801, these are for wagons which were built as insulated fish vans (XP rated) and subsequently used for parcels traffic. If you know where I can find such diagrams on the internet then please post details here.

thank you and regards, Graham

AJC

Western Thunderer
It's all about looking in the right book from the correct date. The diagrams you want are here (pages 218 and 219, diagrams 1/255 - plain bearings - and 1/256 - roller bearings - respectively):

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRFreight1Issue.pdf

They weren't built as NPCCS - fish was freight traffic, albeit a fast freight traffic - but became so later and without any major modifications beyond a good clean so far as I am aware. Obviously diagrams in the NPCCS series must have been issued for them later. The XP rating simply means that a vehicle could be run in the consist of a passenger train or at passenger speeds so anything with a wheelbase of 10' or more and fitted with automatic brakes was game, although as time went on, the goalposts got moved and 6-wheel vehicles and later 4-wheel vehicles found themselves barred from passenger traffic.

Adam

EDIT - Paul Bartlett's pictures are here: BR fish vans including blue spot and Express Parcels NRV RBV

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I shall not claim to understand the world of BR diagrams... thank you for pointing me towards the diagrams for the "diagram 800" vans.

Puzzled of Oakley speaking - if the vans are shown as diagrams 1/255 and 1/256 in the diagram book then why do people refer to the same vans as "diagram 800"? A subsequent version of the insulated fish vans was allocated diagram 801 according to internet pages... so where is this in the diagram book?

thank you Adam; regards, Graham

AJC

Western Thunderer
Presumably (and I don't know) because when their use was changed, a new diagram was issued: diagram 800. I note that Parkside call it a diagram 800 and that might be the LNER diagram number? Not that the LNER actually built any, of course. It is also worth noting that the BR version was rather different to the LNER design, sharing only the leading dimensions: different roof profile, different brakes, bearings even if they look(ed) broadly similar.

Adam

Last edited: